Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • celticwrench
    • Mar 2016

85 Fxr transmission

So my 1985 Harley fxrc has transmission problems. Blow wafer bearing and throw out bearing. I'm looking to upgrade to a later 87-89 tapered shaft transmission, but I don't know if it will bolt right up or what I will need to make it work. If anyone has some info I'd appreciate it.
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Comparing case drawings in my 1984-86 and 1987-88 FXR parts books looks like they'd swap but I've not done it personally. Main shafts swap and while the case design changed that was to get rid of the odd separate mounting flange which bolts to the engine.

The throwout bearing is the wafer bearing.
    The transmission didn't kill it, but clutch misadjustment will smoke them in a heartbeat. If the transmission has no issues otherwise it would make more sense to replace the bearing (and the push rod it rides on if damaged by bearing death). The complete kit is about fifty bucks. If you swap transmissions I'd pull the end cover and inspect that throwout bearing too (or replace it while you're in there since they are cheap).

If you have a later box which happens not to fit you can swap the later guts/trap door/end cover into your case. This guy stuffed an Ultima six speed:
    EVO - Who says you cant put a 6 speed in a 86 FXR? I DID!! - Just got done putting a 6 speed Ultima Transmission in a 86 FXR. Anyone who has a classic model Evo knows they dont sell a 6 speed conversion for these bikes. Not one to listen to the old it wont fit jargon i made it work. Put one made for a 90-97 Big Twin...

You could buy a five speed splined shaft takeout gearset and clutch (common on Ebay) for much less than a complete transmission and stuff that into your old case with fresh bearings and seals for piece of mind.

Spend a few hours studying your many different options here, on vtwinforum's excellent FXR section, and on Harley Tech Talk.

Replacing bearing/pushrod kit = cheap, quick and easy. Adjust clutch correctly and it won't eat bearings.

Replacing trans with tapered shaft unit and later end cover = more work, better ball and ramp clutch release, and an opportunity to inspect your swingarm pivot and rear mounts.

Swapping later splined shaft guts/door/end cover to your transmission case = Clutch upgrade which is also easier to work on (vs pulling fragile tapered shaft hub), gets rid of tapered shaft plus later end cover advantages.

Comment

• celticwrench
      • Mar 2016

Originally posted by farmall
      Comparing case drawings in my 1984-86 and 1987-88 FXR parts books looks like they'd swap but I've not done it personally. Main shafts swap and while the case design changed that was to get rid of the odd separate mounting flange which bolts to the engine.

The throwout bearing is the wafer bearing.
      The transmission didn't kill it, but clutch misadjustment will smoke them in a heartbeat. If the transmission has no issues otherwise it would make more sense to replace the bearing (and the push rod it rides on if damaged by bearing death). The complete kit is about fifty bucks. If you swap transmissions I'd pull the end cover and inspect that throwout bearing too (or replace it while you're in there since they are cheap).

If you have a later box which happens not to fit you can swap the later guts/trap door/end cover into your case. This guy stuffed an Ultima six speed:
      EVO - Who says you cant put a 6 speed in a 86 FXR? I DID!! - Just got done putting a 6 speed Ultima Transmission in a 86 FXR. Anyone who has a classic model Evo knows they dont sell a 6 speed conversion for these bikes. Not one to listen to the old it wont fit jargon i made it work. Put one made for a 90-97 Big Twin...

You could buy a five speed splined shaft takeout gearset and clutch (common on Ebay) for much less than a complete transmission and stuff that into your old case with fresh bearings and seals for piece of mind.

Spend a few hours studying your many different options here, on vtwinforum's excellent FXR section, and on Harley Tech Talk.

Replacing bearing/pushrod kit = cheap, quick and easy. Adjust clutch correctly and it won't eat bearings.

Replacing trans with tapered shaft unit and later end cover = more work, better ball and ramp clutch release, and an opportunity to inspect your swingarm pivot and rear mounts.

Swapping later splined shaft guts/door/end cover to your transmission case = Clutch upgrade which is also easier to work on (vs pulling fragile tapered shaft hub), gets rid of tapered shaft plus later end cover advantages.
      Thank you for the info. I confused throw out bearing with the ball bearing on the mainshaft. That has broken along with the throw out bearing. I've been trying to figure if buying another transmission was easier than rebuilding the one I have.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

There are plenty of used early external clutch arm/"diamond" end cover FXR/FLT boxes for sale but fewer later style boxes either tapered or splined shaft.

Those transmissions don't suck to rebuild thanks to the trap door design. You can do it in the motorcycle. (Adding a Baker anti-overshift pawl is a good idea while it's apart and no extra work.)

You can make the trap door remover tool from some scrap instead of spending mad cash on certain overpriced blue anodized tools. There are lots of articles/threads for home-fabbed Harley 5-speed tools.

If a major bearing is trashed there may be other damage. Replacing with a later gearset (including a later shift drum) would eliminate surprises.

Have some FXR shifter arm/linkage info from another of my posts elsewhere:

EVO - 1988 FXR Starter Problems - Hi everyone. I recently pick up a 88 FXR that had been sitting a couple years from a family friend. The price was right so I didn't think I could go wrong. The day I got it I put a new 330CCA battery in it, did an oil change, and drained the old gas and topped it off with some fresh...
        Last edited by farmall; 11-14-2018, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Here's an outstanding conversion writeup with pics just posted. I suggest printing to .pdf and saving in your info folder.

Last edited by farmall; 11-16-2018, 3:28 PM.

Comment

• RichardS
            • Jun 2015

farmall,
            Would that "Dyna" steel shifter-lever be HD PN-34621-90, or a later HD PN (?).

Also...…..I can't locate the HD PN for a "Dyna" steel transmission steel shift-lever (that mounts on the transmission) as you have pictured on the reply on the V-Twinforum.

TIA, RichardS.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;