CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: 70s Rake

Default 70s Rake

Right now I don't have a real build bike, but I am interested in getting one, either a chopper or a café racer. So if im getting a chopper then I want a 70s style with an original rake but longer fork so it has that nice 70s tilt. And I wonder, do I destroy the trail then and I do then how should i fix it? Thanks for any answer!

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Boneville View Post
    Right now I don't have a real build bike, but I am interested in getting one, either a chopper or a café racer. So if im getting a chopper then I want a 70s style with an original rake but longer fork so it has that nice 70s tilt. And I wonder, do I destroy the trail then and I do then how should i fix it? Thanks for any answer!
    Do a search here it's been discuses many times....

And what is 70s tilt???? Hell I rode back then and I never heard that before...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Do a search here it's been discuses many times....

And what is 70s tilt???? Hell I rode back then and I never heard that before...
    same here,... never heard of it,... sounds like some young punk Hipster wanting to get some instant street cred hoping it will get him Laid !!.. hahahahahahaha
    Last edited by tzienlee; 11-11-2018 at 8:59 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

All motorcycles have rake. It can be small or large.
    The amount of trail will depend on front axle placement ,rocker length with a springer front fork.
    For Telescopic front forks the trail may be adjusted with a set of "raked" trees.
    The triple clamp offset also is a factor in the amount of trail.
    If you buy a used motorcycle you will want to measure these things so you know if the set up is safe.
    You can look up these terms on the internet and read some articles.

Get Adobe Flash player

Where ya guys been?...never heard of the tilt??...

Tilting Motor Works...a breakthrough 3-wheeler that would make it much easier and safer to ride a big V-Twin without sacrificing a thing in the experience...available for most Harley-Davidson, Honda Gold Wing and Indian motorcycles.
    http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/

The Raleigh Chopper brought the style of Easy Rider to the backstreets of Britain in the 1970s...so the whole seat used to tilt upwards exposing the stem...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chopper_mk1_1970.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	88718
    There were complaints that children tilted the handlebars backwards, making the machine impossible to steer...And so was speed wobble...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    Where ya guys been?...never heard of the tilt??...

Tilting Motor Works...a breakthrough 3-wheeler that would make it much easier and safer to ride a big V-Twin without sacrificing a thing in the experience...available for most Harley-Davidson, Honda Gold Wing and Indian motorcycles.
    http://www.tiltingmotorworks.com/

The Raleigh Chopper brought the style of Easy Rider to the backstreets of Britain in the 1970s...so the whole seat used to tilt upwards exposing the stem...

Name:	chopper_mk1_1970.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	88718
    There were complaints that children tilted the handlebars backwards, making the machine impossible to steer...And so was speed wobble...
    LOL Tilting you mean training wheels on the front.... LOL I don't think that company was around in the 70s....

I still have my Schwinn Lemon Peeler from when I was a kid, Girder drum brake and all.... That was before the Raleigh chopper above..... And better looking than the Raleigh bike...

SamHain

Huh they didn’t call it 70s tilt in the 70s? Weird.

I don’t call it that but it ain’t hard to figure out what he’s saying. Fuck.

Extended front end. Stock rake.

You fix the trail by putting it back stock or raking it.... telescoping front ends cycle through at least 4 inches of trail difference, anyhow, if that’s what you want learn how to ride it as such. Raked trees are for correcting trail on bikes that have been raked, but I guess extending a front end does add measured rake to the ground.

Maybe we need pictures or a manual.
    Last edited by SamHain; 11-11-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

and c'mon..that 70's rake...

Cherry: A Chopper Profile
    The Cherry Chopper is a custom motorcycle with a stepped seat and straight pipes. ... and these have been stretched ten inches and mounted at a 40-degree rake. ... While the design is typical of the 1970s, the quality and detailing...

Name:	cherry-chopper-profile-1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	88719
    https://auto.howstuffworks.com/cherr...er-profile.htm

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by SamHain View Post

LOL...Or at least ask if he got a title or MSO..I think the OP is referring to "Norcal Style" ?..Stock 30*rake with 10 +over tubes.
    Last edited by kmanator; 11-11-2018 at 10:05 AM.

SamHain

I think it could be called “otherwise stock evo sporty tilt” just as well.

Get Adobe Flash player

Huh they didn’t call it 70s tilt in the 70s? Weird.

I don’t call it that but it ain’t hard to figure out what he’s saying. Fuck.
    I didn't say they called it 70s tilt in the 70s, I said I never heard the word tilt back then... LOL

I didn't know we needed to start interpreting other peoples language now..... Damn back to school I guess.....

Get Adobe Flash player

Yes sir that would be awesome.... That way we all would know what he's talking about...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    and c'mon..that 70's rake...

Yep or something like this?????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 71 Sporty.jpg   1F.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

The only reason that some bikes in the 60's & 70's were tilted up was for two main reasons, And not that it was the look the builder wanted, but because he either couldn't afford to get his frame raked or he didn't realise he should rake the frame,..... we wanted a chop so bought longer tubes thinking that was it,...…. so now days there is no need to build mistakes in my book,.... just do it right.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by tzienlee View Post
    The only reason that some bikes in the 60's & 70's were tilted up was for two main reasons, And not that it was the look the builder wanted, but because he either couldn't afford to get his frame raked or he didn't realise he should rake the frame,..... we wanted a chop so bought longer tubes thinking that was it,.. so now days there is no need to build mistakes in my book,.... just do it right.
    You got that shit right..... Today you can buy any length, rake what ever you want..... New or used it's out there.... Not back then in the tilt days you used what you could find.....

People today don't realize how easy they have it....

Get Adobe Flash player

In the 70s we called them Frisco or Frisco Sportys.
    Dusty

SamHain

Right no one ever liked the look. Not ever. It’s just because they didn’t know better.....

I like raked bikes and I like stock rake extended there’s a whole damn thread pretty well full of fuckin beautiful bikes.

SamHain

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    I didn't say they called it 70s tilt in the 70s, I said I never heard the word tilt back then... LOL

I didn't know we needed to start interpreting other peoples language now..... Damn back to school I guess.....
    Yeah tilts a brand new word just invented. I guess it is pretty difficult to interpret.

SamHain

There’s a million ways to build ugly bikes.

This ain’t one of em.

Name:	08EA2614-1740-485E-B2AB-F1048C722B4E.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	88724

Name:	D28C0272-3D86-48A9-A617-8858858E9A97.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	88725

Get Adobe Flash player

Just like the 70's craze when everyone wanted the fattest tires possible on the rear of their car, so extended spring shackle came out. People had almost half the tire outside the wheel well. the front end was low and the rear 3' high under the rear bumper. Every time you went over a bump the fender rubbed on the tire. Now people know better, bodies are tubbed, rear ends narrowed and fenders are flared. Putting a 10 or 12" tubes on a stock rake is just as ridiculous today. I did it back in the day, but wouldn't today. 2-4" tubes to get a little ground clearance is tops for me.

Share This