CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: 70s Rake

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by ncmc47 View Post
    Just like the 70's craze when everyone wanted the fattest tires possible on the rear of their car, so extended spring shackle came out. People had almost half the tire outside the wheel well. the front end was low and the rear 3' high under the rear bumper. Every time you went over a bump the fender rubbed on the tire. Now people know better, bodies are tubbed, rear ends narrowed and fenders are flared. Putting a 10 or 12" tubes on a stock rake is just as ridiculous today. I did it back in the day, but wouldn't today. 2-4" tubes to get a little ground clearance is tops for me.
    Hah! I resemble that remark! 1972 Rally Nova (poor cousin to the SS) and did ALL the dumb stuff back in the late 70s. Hijackers air shocks (also stuck the rabbit sticker in the rear 1/4 windows so people would know how cool i was, along with a Holley and Cherry Bomb glasspaks sticker)
    Spring shackles and because I went from 60/14s in the rear to Mickey Thompson M50s,, I had to go Higher! Higher Man! So welded spring shackles together for more height. Even then,, we rubbed on bumps and with a car load of friends had problems. M50s were the widest fattest tire you could get back in the day.

as to extended fronts on a bike, just dont use SLUGS,, just dont! For a while it became illegal to sell them in some places (For good reason) Everyonce in a while some ignorant or asshole type will try and sell some. Ignorance can be cured, Stupidity and assholery is a lot harder. But never use slugs on extending a front end.

I have some from some shop inventories I bought. I use them for the hyd press as nice for pressing on things, also occasionally for fork installs or removals so you have something to press or beat on without marring the forks, But these will NEVER see the road on a scoot.

Hey, Doug, good seeing you around!
    I just got an Ironhead with slugs. Looks like crap too, because the fork tube tapers at the end. Scared to ride it, waiting for new tubes.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Boneville View Post
    Right now I don't have a real build bike, but I am interested in getting one, either a chopper or a café racer. So if im getting a chopper then I want a 70s style with an original rake but longer fork so it has that nice 70s tilt. And I wonder, do I destroy the trail then and I do then how should i fix it? Thanks for any answer!
    keep choppers sketchy... the end lol

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Down View Post
    Hey, Doug, good seeing you around!
    I just got an Ironhead with slugs. Looks like crap too, because the fork tube tapers at the end. Scared to ride it, waiting for new tubes.
    hey you too! IIRC we talked a few years ago, when some clown was trying to peddle slugs on the classifieds and sparked a discussion.

SLUGS SUCK!!!!

So, good plan, roundfile-shitcan the slugs or use for a doorstop. Maybe do a build thread on the sporty and a before-during-after pix or 3! Good to hear from you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norcalstylechopf16d98.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	88848Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Norcalchopper2427248_362873514_n.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	88849

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by SamHain View Post
    Right no one ever liked the look. Not ever. It’s just because they didn’t know better.....

I like raked bikes and I like stock rake extended there’s a whole damn thread pretty well full of fuckin beautiful bikes.
    I agree!
    I lived through that era and most bikers did not know about trail.
    Also it caused problems with float bowl levels and oil circulation in some extreme cases.
    Kickstand lengths too.

When I started riding, late 60s/ early 70s stock frames with 6-12" over front ends were a pretty normal thing on choppers at least in SoCal. When the guys I knew started going longer they did it by a combination of raking and stretching the frame. One thing that I found interesting was what a difference the size of the front wheel could make in handling. I ran a 21 x 3" front wheel and tire with a 10" over glide on my stock frame Pan. A buddy of mine had a 16" x 3" front wheel and tire on his stock frame Knuck which also had a 10" over glide. My Pan really liked going in a straight line. His Knuck felt like it started turning as soon as you started thinking about it.

Get Adobe Flash player

As folks said, if you simply mount a longer fork, you will get more rake (head tube angle to ground) and more trail. And as mentioned, raked trees are designed to bring those figures back down again.

The drawback to such a setup is they make it so that your fork legs lay even flatter, so the force of a bump you hit mostly goes into your fork slider, not into the spring. Plus the fork is now even more in line with brake forces, so your front brake (if you have one) works very poorly and causes the fork to compress a whole bunch.

A springer or girder fork can give better results, by allowing a vertical wheel path (which better absorbs bumps) and canceling the effects of brake force through linkages (floating caliper).

I wrote a web app to help figure out the changes to angle cause by various fork modifications (as well as tire size changes, frame modifications, etc). Its pretty easy to figure out what tree rake you would need to restore stock trail using that tool, though I can't say if that is better than doing otherwise.

https://sebwiers.github.io/motorcycl...anner_002.html
    Last edited by 53Bash; 11-19-2018 at 9:03 PM.

Share This