CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Top motor mount bolts stuck

Hey yall!

Forgive my green-ness, I'm new and dumb.

I'm finally getting around d to replacing the cracked top motor mount on my fxr. I got the bike on a jack, tank lifted, and the stabilizer dog bone off no problem.

But the two bolts holding the old mount to the cylinders are tighter than a nun on Sunday. Damn near sheared the wrench trying to crack em. The old man always told me if I had to work that hard and it wasn't rust that I was doin it wrong. Am I doing something wrong?

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Pics would be a lot of help....

Get Adobe Flash player

Try using some heat on the area around the bolt and make sure the bracket is not under tension. Then make sure you find out why it cracked before putting the new one on.

https://visionarycycleproducts.com/p...op-motor-mount

Get Adobe Flash player

Damn near sheared the wrench trying to crack em.
    What specific tool were you using? An open end wrench (if so, stop and get the right tool), a box end wrench, or a socket wrench and if so 6 or 12 point? I use six point sockets for stuck fasteners. because they won't strip the nut. Don't use an open or box end wrench (unless the box end is six point). Don't try using an adjustable wrench, there isn't room.

Those fasteners should be 9/16" nuts on studs, not bolts. Do you know the difference or are they bolts on that particular FXR (due to someone replacing them). They don't bolt to the cylinders, they bolt to the cylinder heads.

A 9/16" (check to be sure, my FXRs are 9/16") six point socket and a breaker bar will remove them.

A cheater pipe on your breaker bar to extend your leverage is fine because more leverage provides more control due to less hand force required.

Learn and use correct terms so you can think and communicate precisely.

Get Adobe Flash player

Someone might have been a bit liberal with loctite, so heat will loosen that up.

Get Adobe Flash player

Heating the area around the stud won't do jack for the nut/stud thread interface.

OTOH heating the nut with a pencil torch might, but those little nuts aren't 1-wheeler lug nuts! They will come off with the correct tools just like any other Evo or other HD top motor mount fastener.

I Loctite mine because Loctite excludes the moisture which causes corrosion and stuck fasteners. They come off without fuss. If you replace the nuts, use all-metal lock nuts. They don't tend to come loose but all-metal lock nuts are the best of the breed.

#24 is the stud going into the head. If the stud comes out with the nut (unlikely) I'd bring both to my local hardware store to match up replacements.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mount parts.jpg  
    Last edited by farmall; 11-11-2018 at 4:01 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'd like to know what he's using to get the nut off with???

Get Adobe Flash player

Sometimes a solder gun works for me on the add heat part.
    Agree with a lot of folks here, if it is Loctite, some grades of it require heat for removal.
    For leverage, start with a six point socket, breaker bar, even a torque wrench for length.
    I do not advocate cheaters, but have done it myself.
    Just be aware of the dynamics pulling two wrenches hooked together, or a pipe extender.
    Concentrate the force to turning and not just pulling!

Get Adobe Flash player

There's no mechanical reason not to use cheaters to ease operation (vs. grossly overloading the tool they assist).

The torque required at the fastener to free it will be the same either way so why abuse your hand/wrist/shoulder?

I've used junk torque wrenches to break torque but it's ill advised to use good click style torque wrenches to break torque because the sudden change in load can affect calibration.

"Due to the chance that impact loads might be involved at the time when release occurs, manually operated
    torque wrenches should not be used in breaking loose previously tightened nuts and bolts unless the torque
    wrench used is especially designed for this purpose."

TO 32B14-3-1-101.
    https://www.robins.af.mil/Portals/59...-22-153655-117

The older I've gotten the longer the cheater bars have gotten. I have several different sizes and lengths. One big advantage of cheater bars is they can help maintain your balance and control.

Share This