X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Got a Friend that needs a little help, Fellas

By Jay Rogers

What do you do when a friend reaches out to you for help? Personally, I do my level best to get them where they need to go. Today I am reaching out to you, and betting that you would be willing to do the same.

Among us, we have a friend in need. A legend in the world of motorcycle drag racing and a great friend, GrandDaddy Joe Smith. Its no secret to anyone that getting older can be tough on you. Joe has had some issues in the last couple of years that have made getting around a bit more difficult and that have impacted his independence significantly.

In the interest of helping a friend, I am working with Joe to establish this gofundme page. The goal is to help Joe raise enough money to install a lift device on his car to help him transport his mobility scooter. The total cost for the lift device and installation on his car is $3,000.00.

Over the last couple of years, this has been a bit of an arduous journey for Joe. He thought he had everything worked out only to find out that his car would not handle the lifts available at the time. Well, now there is a new unit that fills the bill perfectly. It will work on his car, and it will lift his scooter with no issues.

So, lets see what we can do. Any help is appreciated, even if it just means sharing the page and passing the word along. Thank you all in advance for your kindness and generosity!

What do you do when a friend reaches out to you for help? Personally, I do my level best to get … Jay Rogers needs your support for GrandDaddy Joe lift device
    Last edited by Dragstews; 11-08-2018, 6:52 PM.
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..
  • DoomBuggy
    • Oct 2016

Can they do paypal, I never give my cc online.

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

Will be able to do Pay-Pal tomorrow .... Setting up a link to the fund...

And much Thanks....

Not all that sure but do think Granddaddy Joe is 87 years young now ....

Think "Father Time" is slowing him down a tad ....
      (I know he's working his magic on my bonny ass)
      Last edited by Dragstews; 11-08-2018, 8:19 PM.

Comment

• SamHain
        • Apr 2024

Make some support shirts maybe..... I ain’t a fan of the go fund me generation at any age.

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Dang good idea .... ^^^

Last edited by Dragstews; 11-08-2018, 8:13 PM.

Comment

• SamHain
            • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Dragstews
            Dang good idea .... ^^^

Sign me up

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Working on em.
              Be a couple of weeks before they are ready....

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

Pay-Pal is .../// [email protected] \\\...

This will make it easy to lend a helping hand ....

T-Shirts are in the works, soon will have them available ....

A little history about that painting:

In June of 2016, Harley-Davidson drag racing legend Joe Smith was accorded the honor by famous artist David Uhl of Colorado, who chose Joe after reviewing many photos of Harley-Davidson NHRA drag racing greats.

David looked at photos of Elmer Trett on his double, Marion Owens, Ray Price, Pete Hill, Joe Thronson, and a host of others. The list of notable drag racers reviewed was very long really. He chose the shot of Joe Smith to work with for a number of reasons and it's the visual that draws in an artist in every time.

The photo David chose to work with was an old B&W shot not bigger than a post card from an old newspaper, but the content had everything David likes to work with when he creates one of his works of art.

First off, the motorcycle is a knucklehead-powered bike and its antique style and charm are something David was instantly drawn to. Add to that the visual of Joe holding the throttle wide open with one hand and reaching down to shift the bike with the other: this is just as old-school cool as it gets.

Armed with a series of enlarged B&W examples of the photo with varying degrees of contrast and details of the various elements of Joe's drag bike, David went to work on this in the spring of 2016. The results were unveiled at the Harley-Davidson Museum where David personally unwrapped the artwork and presented it to the public on June 9, 2016. The art work is entitled “Granddaddy” as a tribute to Granddaddy Joe Smith.

Smith, who made the photo available, had this to say about seeing his likeness in a painting, “I thought it was outstanding when I saw it. The amount of detail he created from a black and white scan of an old newspaper clipping is astounding. I feel very lucky and proud that he chose that picture to paint and unveil at the Harley-Davidson museum.”

Well I'll be dipped in Sh*t
                I found a photo of Joe and that Knuck on the way to the track ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	28951424_10213584286994752_3079690043145584640_n.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1306329
                Last edited by Dragstews; 11-09-2018, 2:03 PM.

Comment

• nuklhd
                  • Sep 2013

i'll take a tshirt jesse. a hero and a legend in need. tell joe we are rooting for him.
                  jeez, look at that fucking rear tire.
                  Last edited by nuklhd; 11-09-2018, 5:37 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

I'll tell him.....

On the shirts .... Just as soon as they come in I'll let you know and we'll get together on the details ....

Comment

• DustyDave
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

I probably need a couple of shirts. Let me know.
                      Dusty
                      Driving that train, high on cocaine
                      Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                      Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                      And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                        • Dec 2017

By Jay Rogers

What do you do when a friend reaches out to you for help? Personally, I do my level best to get them where they need to go. Today I am reaching out to you, and betting that you would be willing to do the same.

Among us, we have a friend in need. A legend in the world of motorcycle drag racing and a great friend, GrandDaddy Joe Smith. Its no secret to anyone that getting older can be tough on you. Joe has had some issues in the last couple of years that have made getting around a bit more difficult and that have impacted his independence significantly.

In the interest of helping a friend, I am working with Joe to establish this gofundme page. The goal is to help Joe raise enough money to install a lift device on his car to help him transport his mobility scooter. The total cost for the lift device and installation on his car is $3,000.00.

Over the last couple of years, this has been a bit of an arduous journey for Joe. He thought he had everything worked out only to find out that his car would not handle the lifts available at the time. Well, now there is a new unit that fills the bill perfectly. It will work on his car, and it will lift his scooter with no issues.

So, lets see what we can do. Any help is appreciated, even if it just means sharing the page and passing the word along. Thank you all in advance for your kindness and generosity!

https://www.gofundme.com/granddaddy-...dkFNkiwM6zER9U
                        Found this in the Biker Blog thread:

Name:	scan0014.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1306334

Name:	early+tow+truck.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	1306335

Name:	imgc001.jpg
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	1306336
                        The Good Old Days. Drag Bike Pioneers Joe Smith, Clem Johnson, Borris Murray, Other's and The Top Fuel Cars Of That Era

Name:	img_0003.jpg
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1306337

Name:	joe_by_puppet_compressed_for_web.jpg
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1306338
                        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• kendall666
                          • Oct 2011

I'll tell him.....

On the shirts .... Just as soon as they come in I'll let you know and we'll get together on the details ....
                          Great thing you’re doing. Will definitely purchase a shirt

Comment

• shovelheadfreak
                            • Sep 2012

If you have a 4x shirt when they are ready count me in. He is a great drag racer.

Comment

• SamHain
                              • Apr 2024

Maybe you can get Lisa to allow an article with him. Bring some light. those lowbrow guys sure like racing too.....

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;