Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsEvette
    • Oct 2018

Vintage Springer Identification Needed

I recently asked for help on identifying a vintage girder and TriNortchopz replied with a very detailed and thorough answer. Well, I have another vintage front end (springer) that I need help identifying as well. I'd appreciate any information at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vintage_springer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	1343717
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

Some close up pictures of the upper portion would help - with the top tree off to see the shape of the upper spring perch - the metal part between the upper and lower springs. What is the diameter of the neck post?

The lower front leg sleeved connection at the rocker, shape of the rear part of the rockers, and shape of upper spring perch are some identifying features.

Take a look here:
    The designated springer ID thread
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• MsEvette
      • Oct 2018

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
      Some close up pictures of the upper portion would help...
      Hello again TriNortchopz. I've attached some close up photos of the springer. I looked over the photos on the link you provided and didn't see any matches. The neck stem is 1".

I'll take more photos if needed. Thank you for your help.

Name:	vintage_springer_03.jpg
Size:	303.6 KB
ID:	1306286

Name:	vintage_springer_02.jpg
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	1306287

Name:	vintage_springer_06.jpg
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	1306288

Name:	vintage_springer_07.jpg
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	1306289

Name:	vintage_springer_08.jpg
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	1306290
      Last edited by MsEvette; 11-07-2018, 6:31 PM.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

It looks like the portion of the back leg above the upper spring perch (where the upper tree fits on) is a smaller diameter than the rest of the rear leg - is it?
        Further identifying features include the 'cone-shaped' nuts on top of the spring rods, the curved sides of the upper spring perch and the back of the lower tree has a 'raised' flat - not straight across from one side to the other...those rockers are definitely funky!
        EDIT: Can see now (photo 4) that the sleeves on the bottom of the front leg are threaded, and notice that the rockers are not a continuous smooth arc - there are some flat segments - which typically leans to homemade...
        I'll be searchin'.
        Last edited by TriNortchopz; 11-07-2018, 6:42 PM.
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• MsEvette
          • Oct 2018

Yep, it's .900" above the upper spring perch and 1.245" below it. The shape of the rockers are funky indeed. What's your thoughts on the grease fittings where the legs are attached to the rockers?

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by MsEvette
            Yep, it's .900" above the upper spring perch and 1.245" below it. The shape of the rockers are funky indeed. What's your thoughts on the grease fittings where the legs are attached to the rockers?
            Grease fittings are good, but those ones seem to be mounted really close to the rocker plate - can you even fit a regular grease gun fitting on there?

Comment

• TriNortchopz
              • Dec 2017

I think...I think ya got a 1966-67 Dick Allen springer.

Check out this photo from The Chopper Handbook:

"The photo below shows a set of the 'improved' forks made with the new perch around late 66 or early 67."

Name:	allen-perch3.jpg
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	1306294
              Note any similarities?

Name:	allen-ad1971.jpg
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1306295

"As long as Springers have been around people have been making all kinds of modifications to these sweet little front-ends. They've been shortened, lengthened, widened, narrowed and hacked apart and reconfigured in dozens of different ways by countless chopper enthusiasts and fork builders but the Master of the Art was Dick Allen.

Nobody knows for sure when Allen first started to mess around with forks and most of the oldest photographs show him riding bikes with hydraulic front ends but I first talked with him in 62 about working on a set of Girder forks. I got his name from a friend of a friend of a friend so he must have had a considerable reputation by then. I found myself needing a set of narrowed Harley Springer forks in 1964 and tried to contact Allen again but he had become the invisible man. I sent out some feelers and found him working in a transmission shop in Southern California but he was still building bikes and doing custom fork work..."

"In many ways Allen's 'fancy' rockers, as we called them, were probably the ultimate for long-lasting custom Springers. The trunnion added a significant amount of strength to the rocker and the larger bushing area contributed to long service life. As far as I know Lewis Dulin is the only guy still making these great rockers as seen below. You won't run across these to often as they are fairly rare. They were expensive and time consuming to build so not to many of these were sold on the production forks." See photo below with front leg adapter, but different rockers:

Name:	trunion-rocker.jpg
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1306296

chopperhandbook.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, chopperhandbook.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

and

from 2102 on ChopCult:

I found this by accident........

"In the April, 1973 issue, Bunch did a feature on Motor Mouse's fresh build, with a '64 Pan/Shovel combo for power. As I was looking at the feature (and I've looked at this dozens of times over the years), I read the part of the article that said "Up front, Mouse chose an early (Note from me - notice it said early) Dick Allen 15 over springer, which runs on an 18 - inch tire and spool hub". Then I looked at the photo of Mouse's Dick Allen springer on his bike again.......do you notice what I did? Look at the distance separating the top springs.....it's a Dick Allen-built WIDE springer!"

Name:	da_wide1.jpg
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1306297

ChopCult is the online mecca for motorcycle enthusiasts, with active, content-rich forums covering all makes and models of motorcycles, exclusive articles.

It may be, and somebody built some different rockers...

Look at one of his early builds here:

and a bit more here on Dick:
              Remembering Dick Allen
              The Socal Custom Master
              Last edited by TriNortchopz; 11-07-2018, 9:38 PM.

Comment

• MsEvette
                • Oct 2018

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
                I think...I think ya got a 1966-67 Dick Allen springer...
                I think you're correct! Wow, you have an excellent eye for detail! I admire your passion for hunting these front ends down. Your contribution on this forum is very much appreciated!

Comment

• TitanUranus
                  • Jun 2013

Did you buy this from someone in California??

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;