Generator Evolution-has anybody here built one ?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • okiepan
    • Dec 2011

Generator Evolution-has anybody here built one ?

OK don't start hating. I have my next two projects lined up. Returning a 1953 Hydra Glide to as close to original appearance as possible, and building a Pan powered Super Glide, using all stock H-D parts. (OEM or stock replacement)
    But while drinking a beer with my machinist, we started talking about widening the envelope. He wants to build a hybrid. He wants a 45-Magnum (45 lower with Iron Head top end) But 45 parts prices, especially cases with good numbers have soared lately. OK, what's the cheapest now ? EVO's
    When I bought the bike I will build back as a 53 Hydra Glide it had a Alt Shovel L/H case mated to an early Pan R/H. I had a 53 serial number side we mated to the Pan R/H, so that's the lower end for that engine now.
    The alt side had state assigned numbers stamped in it already, I bought a 67-68 Shovel R/H case we can mate with the alt side. The machinist has a pair of early EVO heads, so they are for a case breather. He has a set of 86" stroker flywheels for a Shovel, I have all the parts for the Gear Case.
    Other than the deck height difference does anyone know of any problems? We're not looking for super performance, just something no-one has seen, or at least rare. Other than 'minor' mods to the L/H case, and a cam, using stock parts.
    This will go in a Santee rigid frame, with a foot shift 4-speed, early H-D cast wheels w/ Disc Brakes, aluminum primary & electric start.

I don't post much or often, but I'm here to read almost every night.
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by okiepan

Other than the deck height difference does anyone know of any problems? .
    What deck height diff ... ??
    Knuck's, Pan's, Shovel's and Evo's share the same deck height...

To make that a easy job you should get a set of Atell's Shovelution Cylinders

Here is a combination we have been selling for over 25 years. These cylinders bolt down to the shovelhead cases and accept evo heads.

You switch to evo tappets, guides, cam, pushrods and exhaust pipes and your ready to go! Shown are the 97 & 106 kits but we also can makeup 109CI (4 3/4 stroke) and 114 CI (5" stroke) kits
    Kits come with cylinders,pistons complete, head bolt, basenuts and head gaskets.

Have a Pow-Wow with Ron Axtell .... (515-243-2518)
    Last edited by Dragstews; 10-29-2018, 1:01 PM.
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Dragstews
      You switch to evo tappets, guides, cam, pushrods and exhaust pipes and your ready to go! Shown are the 97 & 106 kits but we also can makeup 109CI (4 3/4 stroke) and 114 CI (5" stroke) kits
      Kits come with cylinders,pistons complete, head bolt, basenuts and head gaskets.

Have a Pow-Wow with Ron Axtell .... (515-243-2518)
      Damn good idea! OP could build a visually interesting engine with big hairy mechanical testicles. Piss on mixing 45 and Ironhead leftovers when you can have a far better and far more powerful engine you might actually want to ride the shit out of.

The only reason people like generator Shovelheads more than cone motors is that sexy art deco timing cover. An alternator/generator Shovelution build keeps the sexy while running far superior parts. Evo builders like iron Axtell jugs for good reason.

It also leaves the generator mount pad open. This guy brilliantly used a common industrial magneto (Fairbanks-Morse hung 'em on industrial/farm engines long before anyone thought to use 'em on motorsickles).

Comment

• Hoghead
        • Jun 2015

Aren't those cases a bit old to be building something to beat on? It's a fascinating project either way . I remember Alan Sputhe used to make a version of the gennie timing cover with a cone style protrusion for points. That would suit a frankenstein type motor.

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Hoghead

Aren't those cases a bit old to be building something to beat on?
          OP said that the motor has a cone, alt left side case ... That's super heavy duty with having the 69-up Timken bearing and mega beef in the case... Right side would be the weak link cause of the pinion bearings being only 12 bearings doing the work and the case wall kinda thin... A better choice would be to use a 58-up right side case which has a much bigger shaft and 28 bearings doing the work also more meat in the case wall...

Comment

• okiepan
            • Dec 2011

Sorry, been out of the Country a week or so, the right case I have is a 67 or 68 Shovel. The casting flag inside has a '7'. (I'd look, but right now it's mocked-up with a Pan top end. When I bought it, the case was bolted to a new 55-64 Cal Products L/H. The right case is supposed to be new also, it shows no wear. From sitting, it will need a new case race
            You talk about 'stout', the Cal Products case is almost 1/2" thick case side and bottom.

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Now your talking ....

Look at all of that "MEAT" ...!!!

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

Nothing wrong with getting lucky on the cases.

Look at all of that "MEAT" ...!!!
                That's what she said, before flinging her diaper aside in the heat of passion.

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

Ya killing me .... !!!

Comment

• thecarfarmer
                    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by farmall
                    ...snip...

That's what she said, before flinging her diaper aside in the heat of passion.
                    I should fucking know by now: don't read ANYTHING Farmall writes when sitting in a fairly quiet restaurant with a mouth full of chips and salsa...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;