CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 1983 FXRT Build: First Foray into American Motorsickles

Picked up this ole gal today. It's an '83 FXRT in a Paughco rigid frame. I don't know exactly what frame, but I'm assuming it's lowered and raked. She needs a good going through, but will hopefully be a good candidate for my first shovel.

She runs, but only if you play with the choke, so I assume the carb is all gunked up. Pulled it off and am ordering a rebuild kit. Anyone know exactly which model carb this is? I assume some sort of Keihin CV? It's got a Screamin' Eagle air cleaner if that helps identify it.

It's got dual plug heads and dual coils, which is why I suppose it has this ignition. Never seen one before, any thought on it?

Plans are first to strip it down, and fix any dumb shit I find. Once she runs reliably as is, then I'll start modding it. I only had it running for a few minutes and it's puking oil out the back from some hoses. Have to trace that down. The main thing I want to change is the primary. I gotta have an open belt drive, but that leaves me with a dilemma. Do I get a nice cheap, clean, kicker-only belt drive, and an expensive Baker kicker for my 5 speed, or do I get an expensive and not so clean belt drive that accommodates the electric starter? Will this weird ignition even work well with a kicker?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jOQgZQol.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Man that is a damn nice looking bike and a great first bike for sure......

How much did you have to give for it???

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    Man that is a damn nice looking bike and a great first bike for sure......

How much did you have to give for it???
    4K. Shovels tend to go for 4-7k where I'm at. I figured 4k was a good deal if it came with a rigid frame already.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yup, Keihin CV. Look up that part # to identify model.

Rebuilding a Keihin CV40 carb
    Posted by Dave63
    "Rebuilding your CV40 carb isn't rocket science. It's simply a matter of taking the carb apart, cleaning items that are prone to poor performance if exposed to dirt for decades and rejetting it properly upon reassembly..."
    https://www.harley-davidsonforums.co...cv40-carb.html

Harley CV Carburetor Tuning Issues & Troubleshooting
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harley_cv_carburetor_diagram.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	88431
    https://cv-performance.com/harley-cv...-tuning-issues

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tippyman View Post
    4K. Shovels tend to go for 4-7k where I'm at. I figured 4k was a good deal if it came with a rigid frame already.
    Not a bad deal at all..... I was curious......

Get Adobe Flash player

Picked up this ole gal today. It's an '83 FXRT in a Paughco rigid frame. I don't know exactly what frame, but I'm assuming it's lowered and raked. She needs a good going through, but will hopefully be a good candidate for my first shovel.

She runs, but only if you play with the choke, so I assume the carb is all gunked up. Pulled it off and am ordering a rebuild kit. Anyone know exactly which model carb this is? I assume some sort of Keihin CV? It's got a Screamin' Eagle air cleaner if that helps identify it.

It's got dual plug heads and dual coils, which is why I suppose it has this ignition. Never seen one before, any thought on it?

Plans are first to strip it down, and fix any dumb shit I find. Once she runs reliably as is, then I'll start modding it. I only had it running for a few minutes and it's puking oil out the back from some hoses. Have to trace that down. The main thing I want to change is the primary. I gotta have an open belt drive, but that leaves me with a dilemma. Do I get a nice cheap, clean, kicker-only belt drive, and an expensive Baker kicker for my 5 speed, or do I get an expensive and not so clean belt drive that accommodates the electric starter? Will this weird ignition even work well with a kicker?
    Keep that carb, just rebuild it, it'll work nicely for that kick start

im not a big fan of electronic ignitions for kickstart or in general for a bike that your going to be riding, with that said, others swear by them and thats fine as well. I just prefer points.

i prefer the narrower BDL 1.5 open belt drives, only like 300 dollars too

if you go open belt you will need to either 1) create a small catch can for the crankcase vent tube that normally lubes the chain drive inside the primary or 2) put a small filter on the end of an oil line of the crank case vent, either way, do not cap that crank case vent, your bottom end needs a way to release pressure.

Thats a great deal on that bike. probably would have gone for 5-6k in my area. looking forward to seeing what you do with it

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by shovel625 View Post
    Keep that carb, just rebuild it, it'll work nicely for that kick start
    I ordered some parts from CV Performance, gonna give her a good going through.

if you go open belt you will need to either 1) create a small catch can for the crankcase vent tube that normally lubes the chain drive inside the primary or 2) put a small filter on the end of an oil line of the crank case vent, either way, do not cap that crank case vent, your bottom end needs a way to release pressure.
    There is already some fuckery going on with the oil vent lines. Wasn’t leaking in the guys shed I got it from, and wasn’t leaking until I ran it. It ran for maybe two minutes, I put it in the garage, and then it leaked a bunch out. Hoses and the rear of the oil bag where the filter is are all oily.

im not a big fan of electronic ignitions for kickstart or in general for a bike that your going to be riding, with that said, others swear by them and thats fine as well. I just prefer points.

i prefer the narrower BDL 1.5 open belt drives, only like 300 dollars too
    It’s got dual plugs, so I think I’m stuck with the ignition. As for the belt, I definitely like the 1.5” kick only kits, but I need to figure out if the F5K kicker will work with this trans. It’s the factory cable clutch 5 speed.

Get Adobe Flash player

Puking is typical. Harleys with oil tanks higher than the pump wet sump when left to sit.

Baker kickers fit 1990 and up so no joy. Either swap trap door and whatever else is required or replace transmission. Contact Baker tech support.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Puking is typical. Harleys with oil tanks higher than the pump wet sump when left to sit.

Baker kickers fit 1990 and up so no joy. Either swap trap door and whatever else is required or replace transmission. Contact Baker tech support.
    It’s like 1/4-1/2 qt. Seemed like a lot to me. As for Baker, I contacted them, but no response yet. I figured it wouldn’t fit because I didn’t see a hole in the top for the clutch arm to go into.

I just got a response from Paughco. It’s a straight leg frame with a factory style neck, zero stretch and a 30 degree raked neck.
    Set up for a 5 speed transmission and chain rear drive, obviously. What length front springer ya’ll think would look good with 30*? I was thinking at least 12 over.
    Last edited by Tippyman; 10-29-2018 at 9:55 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Wait a minute... isn’t 30* stock? Why does my shit look so raked? I’ma have to look at the triple tree more closely. Might have some weird raked shit on there.
    Last edited by Tippyman; 10-29-2018 at 10:49 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Took pictures of the forks vs neck. They appear to be parallel, so I would assume there's no stupid rake kit on the fork. Perhaps someone cut/raked the neck, but doesn't appear so. Maybe it's normal, but I'll be damned if it doesn't look raked out.

Get Adobe Flash player

The neck is definitely raked....

Get Adobe Flash player

38 or 39 degrees would be my guess ...

Get Adobe Flash player

It’s got dual plugs, so I think I’m stuck with the ignition. As for the belt, I definitely like the 1.5” kick only kits, but I need to figure out if the F5K kicker will work with this trans. It’s the factory cable clutch 5 speed.
    You are not stuck with that ignition. I used to run a dual-points setup on my shovel, and later swapped it out to a Dyna S single fire. Get a Dyna S if you want a different ignition.

Get Adobe Flash player

The trees look like stock FXRT and appear parallel to the neck. The neck certainly appears raked.

If you level the bottom frame tube and check with a digital level you'll find total rake. The little digital level cubes are handy for that sort of thing.

Get Adobe Flash player

What I see in your pics is how the tube at the bottom of the neck is bent, and looks long compared to the Paughco catalog for a stock 30 degree rake.
    Is there a part number on that frame? Just wondering how Paughco supplied you with the frame details.
    #S139 is what you were provided.

In their catalog, I see rakes available in 30, 35 and 40 degrees, with either 0, or 2 1/4" up:

http://www.paughco.com/2008-catalog/...T04-frames.pdf

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    What I see in your pics is how the tube at the bottom of the neck is bent, and looks long compared to the Paughco catalog for a stock 30 degree rake.
    Is there a part number on that frame? Just wondering how Paughco supplied you with the frame details.
    #S139 is what you were provided.

In their catalog, I see rakes available in 30, 35 and 40 degrees, with either 0, or 2 1/4" up:

http://www.paughco.com/2008-catalog/...T04-frames.pdf
    I emailed them the serial number on the neck and they told me the date/specs.

Get Adobe Flash player

I emailed them the serial number on the neck and they told me the date/specs.
    What did they tell you or is it a secret???

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    What did they tell you or is it a secret???
    I just got a response from Paughco. It’s a straight leg frame with a factory style neck, zero stretch and a 30 degree raked neck.
    Set up for a 5 speed transmission and chain rear drive
    That’s all Paughco told me. I emailed them the pictures today and they said it was definitely 30* when it left the factory in ‘94, so someone has modified it.

Get Adobe Flash player

You'll find out when you take the bike down for paint if ya can't see any mods as-is. I have mine sand blasted by monument companies since they have manly blast pots and engine-driven compressors. Gets any body filler etc off nicely.

Share This