Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SportsterKnee74
    • May 2015

907 Mike,

I'd say that 295/70 is a lot of fuel for a 74 with drag pipes. That's about what we'd typically see in a stock evo (Maybe 295/72) so I'd start with count g your turns in to seated on the idle mixture screw to see where you're at. Assuming it's dialed in for idle mixture, if more than 1.5 turns out then intermediate jet too small, less than 1.5~2 turns out it's too big. I'm betting on too big.
    Betting best betting to be 28/68 or 28/66.

I'd also say look up the lollipop trick with the washers welded to 1/4" bolts in the pipes. Helps a LOT on drags.
    Your cam is good and will work good with your compression.

Beyond these things, might consider a good electronic single fire ign. Otherwise S&S heads, or, and/or bore and stroke it.

But I'd bet jetted, with a good ign. , S&S heads, and lollipops in pipes she'll run way stronger.

Oh ya, if you're in the "907" hit me up. I'm in the Mat Valley, got a scooter shop in Palmer. Glad to help you out.

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

A similar question was asked on the Shovelhead Forum recently, and I'll repeat my answer here:
      My '72 FX would hit the ton at will, two up. This was in western CO, about 4400ft. altitude. Seventy-four cu.in. motor with stock cast pistons, an Andrews A grind, Sifton springs, solid tappets, stock Bendix with adjustable main jet added, stock exhaust (with center baffle punched out of the muffler).
      So, yours is a little slow if it's the one you picture. FLs won't go as fast. You may be a little fat on your main jet as noted above. Also, maybe too much cam coupled with a long overall drive ratio may be holding it back. Motor torque/HP must increase faster than resistance (mostly air) to gain speed. Lastly, the venturi size of the Super E may be too large for your combo, with 74cu.in.
      If it's geared long, see what it will do in third gear. Harley big twins often won't pull the gear that's under them.

Jim

Comment

• Blackbetty
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by JBinNC
        A similar question was asked on the Shovelhead Forum recently, and I'll repeat my answer here:
        My '72 FX would hit the ton at will, two up.
        Jim
        you must have been going down a mountain with a tailwind and a farting passenger

Comment

• JBinNC
          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Blackbetty
          you must have been going down a mountain with a tailwind and a farting passenger
          Running in the desert where there's plenty of room to stretch 'em out. The combo worked well, I kept it in good tune, and back then the bike was only ten or twelve years old. Bikes of the guys I rode with did as well. If any Superglide won't hit a hunnert, there's something wrong with it.

Jim

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;