CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
  1. #1
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    91

    Default Help ID Shovelhead frame

    So I have a chance to pick up a Shovelhead frame but the year is in question. Seller says it is pre 70ís no number frame but there is a flat spot on the neck casting that looks as if it should have numbers but it doesnít would a pre 70ís frame have a spot like this for numbers also has a square swing arm Iím not sure of what can be swapped on these frames as far as swing arm goesClick image for larger version. 

Name:	625FAE51-38AC-4F2F-90A6-E875245C83AC.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	88234

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    102

    Default

    The number pad has been welded and milled or ground flat. Only a later frame will have the number pad and if it has the number pad it should have numbers on it. An earlier frame will be void of the pad as shown here by this replacement casting. The frame you have pictured is likely stolen. If anyone is thinking of using it, trust me it is a bad idea. There are methods of bringing the old numbers back.

    Last edited by chopprs; 10-21-2018 at 4:57 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,407

    Default

    I would say it's a 70 and up frame.... Not a pre 70 frame....

    What year is stamped on the top motor mount?

  4. #4
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    91

    Default

    That’s what I was thinking just needed some confirmation thanks

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Here look at a blow up of the number pad area. You can actually see the grinding marks. Whatever dipshit did this was not even smart enough to try and stamp some bogus numbers on it or even remove the pad altogether. Look at the lower rear casting numbers. Are they a dash-73 number? What does the top of the seat post area look like?


  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reeb View Post
    That’s what I was thinking just needed some confirmation thanks
    Glad to be of help...

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,721

    Default

    Can't see the grinder marks on the photo blowup, but
    it could be a 1969 frame with an un-numbered boss:

    2010 Classic American Iron thread: can this be right?
    indianut posted:
    ..."If this were a '69 or back it would have a Key Lock, not a padlock Loop. That is what i thought. I spoke with my Early Shovel Expert and she says the '69 would have a padlock loop. She also said she has a frame dated J 9 with a BLANK number boss. Another way to pin down the date of the frame is if it has the loop on the Left Rear for the brake hose. That would make it '72 back. BUT, my other friend with a '69 has a Key lock in the neck. That may be an early '69 frame. The point is that we Have Seen a Frame with a pad and NO Numbers. The J 9 Frame. It has the padlock loop."
    and
    Speeding Big Twin posted:
    ..."some late-1969 BT frames had an unstamped VIN boss. Depending on the year of your frame, or indeed the year of just the steering head, you may find one capital letter followed by three or four numbers stamped on the LEFT side of the steering head. But if there, they will be small and may be hard to spot so look closely..."
    and
    ..."your lady friend is correct regarding the 1969 frame having a padlock loop. It seems it first appeared on late-68 frames although it was undrilled on those. I’ve discussed the BT 4-speed swingarm frame several times with a member of HDForums.com and he owns a late-68 FLH and his frame has an undrilled padlock loop..."

    http://www.caimag.com/forum/archive/...hp/t-7321.html

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,407

    Default

    ^^^^ Good point^^^^^ It could be... Just like the 1970 motors that have a blank numbers boss......

    That's why I asked what the date code is on the top motor mount.....

    Not all frames or motors for that matter with no numbers on the boss are stolen..... That's ridicules.....
    Last edited by Tattooo; 10-21-2018 at 8:36 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    9,570

    Default

    Zoomed on my monitor the boss looks ground down and less even than adjacent casting areas. I see what appear to be grinder marks in the top quarter of the pad and uneven contours towards the bottom with slight variances in the finish which is not like most of the neck or the lock boss.

    The pics isn't very good. A high resolution pic would make it much easier to see.

    So would a clean pic of an unmolested bare VIN pad to compare pad thickness.

  10. #10
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Top seat post areaClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2A78FFF0-9916-4BF9-9537-F3E6E0113DFA.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	88239

  11. #11
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Donít know why my pics post sideways

  12. #12
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    Can't see the grinder marks on the photo blowup, but
    it could be a 1969 frame with an un-numbered boss:

    2010 Classic American Iron thread: can this be right?
    indianut posted:
    ..."If this were a '69 or back it would have a Key Lock, not a padlock Loop. That is what i thought. I spoke with my Early Shovel Expert and she says the '69 would have a padlock loop. She also said she has a frame dated J 9 with a BLANK number boss. Another way to pin down the date of the frame is if it has the loop on the Left Rear for the brake hose. That would make it '72 back. BUT, my other friend with a '69 has a Key lock in the neck. That may be an early '69 frame. The point is that we Have Seen a Frame with a pad and NO Numbers. The J 9 Frame. It has the padlock loop."
    and
    Speeding Big Twin posted:
    ..."some late-1969 BT frames had an unstamped VIN boss. Depending on the year of your frame, or indeed the year of just the steering head, you may find one capital letter followed by three or four numbers stamped on the LEFT side of the steering head. But if there, they will be small and may be hard to spot so look closely..."
    and
    ..."your lady friend is correct regarding the 1969 frame having a padlock loop. It seems it first appeared on late-68 frames although it was undrilled on those. I’ve discussed the BT 4-speed swingarm frame several times with a member of HDForums.com and he owns a late-68 FLH and his frame has an undrilled padlock loop..."

    http://www.caimag.com/forum/archive/...hp/t-7321.html
    It does have a padlock loop

  13. #13
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    ^^^^ Good point^^^^^ It could be... Just like the 1970 motors that have a blank numbers boss......

    That's why I asked what the date code is on the top motor mount.....

    Not all frames or motors for that matter with no numbers on the boss are stolen..... That's ridicules.....
    Numbers found on top motor mount is j 4

  14. #14
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    2,721

    Default

    Here is a pdf. of a booklet: STOLEN; motorcycle information booklet, Know what your buying, don't get caught with bad numbers.

    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.co...mbers+book.pdf

    HD starts on page 9

  15. #15
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12,407

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reeb View Post
    Numbers found on top motor mount is j 4

    That's Oct of 1974.....

  16. #16
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Thanks brother this place is still awesome

Share This



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in