X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dinsterzz
    • Oct 2018

Virago xv250 build

Hi all, im dennis from belgium,
    I've been working on a couple of bikes but last week i got to pick up an abandoned project. It costs me next to nothing and is a great starter to get my wife to start riding.

So the story:
    Its a yamaha xv250 virago with 19500km on the clock.
    The engine looks great and is not in need of a rebuild.
    The frame however was already chopped by the previous owner so i have to go along with it.

Here is how it was advertised:

The engine:

And one of the boxes with parts:

Heres the happy wife with the bike i julled pulled out of the back of my car:

I started assembling everything that came with it to see if i needed to order parts, or what would get scrapped:

So, the seat that came with it is already up for sale as it was way to small for the bike.
    I started taking measurements along with a stencil to make a cover plate where the new seat will later be mounted on. This will be removable so i can reach the electrics and whatnot:

For now thats all the pictures i have.
    Ive already ordered the handlebar, lights small parts etc..

The frame, swingarm and various little parts are now in to be powdercoated.
    Gastank, fender, fork and small bits are at the bodyshop to be altered and painted.

The rear fender was bogus so that will be fabricated once the correct shocks and tires etc.. Come in.

Most of the stuff will be back in 2 weeks, but in the meantime i will keep you posted on all the smaller parts i will be revising.

Thanks for reading, and stay tuned!
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

This build thread may be of interest:

DNA + Virago = cool bobber
    "...throw a springer onto his rigid 250 Virago...
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Dinsterzz
      • Oct 2018

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
      This build thread may be of interest:

DNA + Virago = cool bobber
      "...throw a springer onto his rigid 250 Virago...
      http://www.choppersaustralia.com/for...hp?f=60&t=8432
      Thats a nice mod!
      Unfortunately, i am building myself a bike too, and along with some other stuff, this isn't an option for now. But thats what i kove, that in the future i can upgrade parts

Comment

• Dinsterzz
        • Oct 2018

So, yesterday everything came back from powdercoating:

As we speak, the rear struts are beeing made(no more springs as a tryout). And the rest of the body is at the bodyshop.
        I will now turn my attention to the engine and wiring, some cleaning up and fluids mostly.
        The bike will be full black with minor alloy/polish finishing and golden bolts/screws all around.

As for the engine i dont know wether to keep it stock or paint it black with shiny fins, or just full black with polished carb.

The progress on mounting and all the rest will ofcourse be shared here.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

The bike will be full black with minor alloy/polish finishing and golden bolts/screws all around.
          As for the engine i dont know wether to keep it stock or paint it black with shiny fins, or just full black with polished carb.
          Guessin' you may have seen this 2017 thread, with engine (and every other part) fully blacked out:

Thread: XV250 Bobber- first bike
          I started a build thread on the Virago forum last month but was getting any feedback so ill start one here.. In total I have only been working on it for about a month, just after work each night. 1. just after picking it up- some parts arrived- new exhaust. reused existing exhaust, gutted front exhaust by cutting it
          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Dinsterzz
            • Oct 2018

I have seen it now makes me even more undecided.

On other news, although i have the tools, my brother had the materials and made me some rear shock replacements. These will be made black too.

I have some smaller bits to blacken and then the mounting can commence !
            Stay tuned

Comment

• Dinsterzz
              • Oct 2018

So, the engine is in!
              It cleaned up rather nice, and for now it will stay grey/silver, except for the cilinders wich will be black with sanded edges.

Tested the rear shocks wich gove me the stance i was looking for.
              Minor pieces are now black.
              The only issue i have is the pins where my footpegs etc go, were powdercoated, and this needs to come off. Any advice on how to easily remove powdercoating?

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                • Dec 2017

"...how to easily remove powdercoating?"
                Take your choice:

Comment

• KevinN
                  • May 2014

Nice project.
                  Last edited by KevinN; 11-09-2018, 5:08 AM.

Comment

• Dinsterzz
                    • Oct 2018

Soo, it took me some time to continue, but finally got most parts back from the painter.
                    Put in fresh steering sterm bearings, put the wireloom in place, the shortened front fender is put on along with the rim to measure out tire sizes.
                    Handlebars are from a swap meet.
                    Its starting to come together!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;