Any advice for an insurance inspection of a wrecked custom?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • twentyfivemike
    • May 2017

Any advice for an insurance inspection of a wrecked custom?

So I have an insurance adjuster coming over in a few hours to check out my bike that was involved in an accident. Got t-boned by a car a few weeks ago. Not super fast but enough to knock me off and send me to the hospital etc. etc.

So it's titled as a Special Construction. How would they know what to look for, to assess damage and value? How do aftermarket parts..er...well I guess it's all aftermarket...factor?

There are some things I can tell right off like the wheel and springer fork is off/damaged but my biggest concern is the frame. There isn't anything too noticeable but I would have my mechanic go over ever mm of that thing and probably just get a new frame regardless. I would imagine frame damage is almost a guaranteed "totaled."

Anyway, any thoughts, advice, musings would be much appreciated.
  • tzienlee
    • Apr 2024

the Adjuster will see and decide if the bike is a write off within about 10 seconds of seeing the wreck,... these are experienced people who's whole working life is making these decisions.

do NOT take the bike apart in any way less he asks for you to do it, it can look like you are deliberately trying to make it look worse than it is.

he doesn't care if it's a factory bike or a Special construction,... he is there simply to assess the damage.

your insurance company will come up with a value and an amount they wish to pay you for either damages, or for a full write off...…. if you have an agreed value with them you will get closer to what it's worth than if you do not have an agreed value on it.

if you do not agree with their offer you can question & appeal it & point out things they may have missed but these should be written out by a proper registered crash damage garage or workshop.... a phone call by you saying this or that won't do squat for your claim.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
      • Oct 2016

Please let us know how you make out, also I would be interested in who you are insured with. I contacted USAA about covering my bike as they have all the rest of my vehicles and house and they said they would have to refer me to Geiko for my bike.

Comment

• twentyfivemike
        • May 2017

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
        Please let us know how you make out, also I would be interested in who you are insured with. I contacted USAA about covering my bike as they have all the rest of my vehicles and house and they said they would have to refer me to Geiko for my bike.
        Weird as I use USAA and they defer to Progressive with a USAA discount. I didn't think they did any moto directly. I've used Progressive for all my bikes including a few SPCN.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
          • Oct 2016

Now that you say that it might have been Progressive. Since the Panhead is almost road worthy it is time to start checking into it again. Thanks I'll give USAA a call and see what they say now, it has been a couple of years since I last checked.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

USAA goes through Progressive though they continue to cover my older cycle policies. I've been with them since 1985,

If they consider it a total, ask about a buyback because they know they won't get shit for the bike after paying for it to be picked up, stored, transported to an insurance auction then sold at commission.

I would prefer getting slightly less than "total" value if I get to keep my title unchanged. KNOW the categories of SALVAGE title in your state. Tell the adjuster you really love the bike and intend to CORRECTLY (talk is cheap!) put it back in order with or without a replacement frame.

Comment

• twentyfivemike
              • May 2017

Well, this particular adjuster wasn't very familiar with bikes. We just went through everything, wrote it all down, took pictures and that info will be forwarded to a more experienced adjuster to make the assessment.

We'll see how this plays out.

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

If you disagree you could ask about having the damage appraised, then take it to an independent and let him know the background. There are two kinds of appraisals, one is if a shop expects to do (and therefore compete for) the actual work. The other is if they like you and know you just want the cash.

I would talk with your appraiser in person with no phone or email trail. You are NOT committing fraud, but nobody wants to deal with questions. "Hey man, can you do a detailed damage appraisal on this scoot? I'll fix it myself but need it for the insurance man." It's worth paying for an appraisal and ya might end up buying some parts while there.

Comment

• Gvermin
                  • Mar 2012

not exactly same situation but ihad to deal with adjuster when my spec con was stolen. they have no real way of valuating them so for mine they went off receipts and parts list. they lowballed the fuck out of mine I contested settlement and had to scower ebay for prices of sold bikes with similar specs to show my bikes value. ended up with 40-50% of what I spent on parts. this was with gieco I think, was 10 years ago. I got fuckd because a lot of my bike was cash deals with no receipts. hope it goes your way man.

Comment

• DustyDave
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
                    Now that you say that it might have been Progressive. Since the Panhead is almost road worthy it is time to start checking into it again. Thanks I'll give USAA a call and see what they say now, it has been a couple of years since I last checked.
                    Agreed value policy with Haggerty or Grundy is the way to go on the pan. Grundy is cheaper if your driving record is good if not Haggerty seems to put up with way more tickets. Progressive was almost $700 more than Grundy on my 40 scout and gave me way more shit about what I wanted to value it.
                    Dusty
                    Driving that train, high on cocaine
                    Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                    Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                    And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                      • Oct 2016

Thanks Dave, I had Haggery on my hot rods but never thought of them for the bikes, will add them to the mix and see who will actually let me drive it. Some of these collector policies are really limiting, but I recall Haggerty was pretty decent about using the car for dinner and such, just not as a grocery getter.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;