Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Luky
    • May 2018

California law says," The training and the safety of the workers is the owners responsibility."
    Now the foreman can also be charged. Or exonerated.

Comment

• chopprs
      • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Steelsmith
      That's a really good/relevant question!
      The simple answer is: a Professional is one who does something as a part of their profession. This alludes to a certain level of experience as well as training however informal that training might be. I guess getting to 'know your fabricator' would be a wise investment in time. Feedback from prior customers would be in order, just be sure to understand their perspective/wear your filter. Bias replys are the norm, pro or con!
      Some customers don't like to admit when they've been taken. Others, will try to paint their fabricator as a bad-guy after trying to get something for nothing and they won't roll-over. I've found bias communication/communicating through rose-colored glasses. The reality is, if you hire work done, be very explicit in your expectations and do it in writing! That way you should both understand what is expected and put an all-in price/dollar figure on what will be paid.
      Nobody wants to be taken advantage of, not the payer nor the payee!
      ...so that would include like maybe someone that is an Aeronautical Engineer and builds custom bikes for a living???

Comment

• Steelsmith
        • Apr 2018

In answer as to who should weld on gastanks? Only those who KNOW, without a doubt, they have done the right prep/purge and there is no-way, for an explosive result. If you have ANY doubt, pay a Professional.
        An exploding tank is life-changing, if you take that risk, consider the cost first.

Comment

• Luky
          • May 2018

Originally posted by chopprs
          ...so that would include like maybe someone that is an Aeronautical Engineer and builds custom bikes for a living???
          If you are the owner of a business and also do the work,
          you would need to know OSHA rules in California just for your own safety and safety of your neighbors.
          These rules are easy to obtain.

Comment

• Steelsmith
            • Apr 2018

Certainly no disrespect towards 'Luky' but, mentioning Laws in California, OSHA, Lawsuits etc, while relevant to where he is located and his Profession tends to breed contempt here.
            Not trying to censor anyone but, know your audience. A more palatable tact might be to point out the underlying logic/safety concerns, less the litigious nature wrapping most things from California.
            Having lived in SoCal decades ago, I understand most believe their State to be the center of the Nation. Having spent the intervening years anywhere but California, I'm here to say, it's just not so ...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
              • Dec 2017

This ain't goin' nowhere...since this is in the How TO: Tech section, and now that we know about welding, how about showing the skills and techniques needed - gas tanks that got chopped and welded; such as this:
              Harley Gas Tank Chop and Custom Paint
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Sportster-Tank-Chop-02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	1305865
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Sportster-Tank-Chop-07.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1305866
              Here's my Frankenstein job on my gas tank. I like the clean look of hidden mounts so I picked up a Custom Chrome hidden mount kit. I also relocated the petcock and gas cap. To get a nicer profile, I cut out the tunnel a little on the rear of the tank and closed it
              Last edited by TriNortchopz; 10-17-2018, 7:45 AM.
              If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• chopprs
                • Oct 2018

I built this bike a few years back. I couldn't find a tank I liked so I made these. It is two tanks like on a Knuck/Pan/Shovel. I started with two flat pieces for the inners... I think it was the hardest thing I ever did building bikes. It took me a month!
                ...and yep, I used a welder! LOL

Last edited by chopprs; 10-17-2018, 7:39 AM.

Comment

• Steelsmith
                  • Apr 2018

That's a very nice example of a hand crafted gastanks! The rest of the bike is very appealing too, congratulations on a build well done.

Comment

• Steelsmith
                    • Apr 2018

Trinorthchopz, an excellent example of a heavily modified/remanufactured used tank. This goes to show how clean modifications can be done if they are well planned.

Comment

• chopprs
                      • Oct 2018

heavily modified/remanufactured used tank.

...not sure what this means but I pounded this shit all from a flat sheet of steel. There was nothing heavily modified or remanufactured. If you have ever done it you know how much work it is and how long it takes. If you have never made a set of tanks from scratch there is no way that you can even imagine...BTW, I made the fender too. That was much easier!

Comment

• Steelsmith
                        • Apr 2018

The comments about heavily modified/remanufactured were directed toward Trinorthchopz who posted of a stock tank modified by new hidden/isolated mounts.
                        Yours on the other hand being scratch-built is just that, a labor of love for the masochists among us!
                        Yes, I have built tanks, fenders and even cascading grill-teeth (DeSoto Maneater style). I am well aware of the time dedication and skill required to accomplish such projects. You have my respect, for what that's worth ...

Comment

• chopprs
                          • Oct 2018

The comments about heavily modified/remanufactured were directed toward Trinorthchopz who posted of a stock tank modified by new hidden/isolated mounts.
                          Yours on the other hand being scratch-built is just that, a labor of love for the masochists among us!
                          Yes, I have built tanks, fenders and even cascading grill-teeth (DeSoto Maneater style). I am well aware of the time dedication and skill required to accomplish such projects. You have my respect, for what that's worth ...
                          Oh, hah! Apologies. I was confused by what you said. Now I know why! LOL

Comment

• horshak
                            • Oct 2010

agree with budd and chopprs I've been doing it that way since I was doing it in Vietnam '70-71. I was the only (gas) welder around. 3/4 ton Dodge Powerwagon trucks with no top would let water sit on top of the gas tanks. They were under the drivers seat. They would get so thin there was no welding the holes up as more would appear. So I would take sheets of metal the size of the top of the tank and lay it on top and weld all the way around it. Every time I did this I couldn't help but notice I was the only person at that end of the motorpool:-) But saying that I agree Tattooo has some good thoughts also. Pumping it us with compressed air and releasing it to let it help dry the tank out. Keeping your face away from the opening and After letting it dry out for a day or two make sure EVERY OPENING is open cause it will defently Whoosh! and just rinsing it out won't do shit.

Comment

• zedhead
                              • Feb 2018

An entertaining thread, for sure, but those of us who have yet to attempt modifying a tank would like some more direction please!
                              MIG or TIG or gas?
                              I have two tanks to modify, and I have a cheap MIG and a cheap TIG - which would be better? And any secrets with either method? Short runs? Thick / thin rod / wire? etc

Comment

• Pliers
                                • Feb 2018

Originally posted by zedhead
                                An entertaining thread, for sure, but those of us who have yet to attempt modifying a tank would like some more direction please!
                                MIG or TIG or gas?
                                I have two tanks to modify, and I have a cheap MIG and a cheap TIG - which would be better? And any secrets with either method? Short runs? Thick / thin rod / wire? etc
                                Hit up welding web or one of the welding forums. Look up some of the miller charts for material (type of metal, thickness, etc) vs. Filler type. You could read welding tips on those forums for days and still find new info

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;