CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 3 of 3 First 123

The comments about heavily modified/remanufactured were directed toward Trinorthchopz who posted of a stock tank modified by new hidden/isolated mounts.
    Yours on the other hand being scratch-built is just that, a labor of love for the masochists among us!
    Yes, I have built tanks, fenders and even cascading grill-teeth (DeSoto Maneater style). I am well aware of the time dedication and skill required to accomplish such projects. You have my respect, for what that's worth ...

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Steelsmith View Post
    The comments about heavily modified/remanufactured were directed toward Trinorthchopz who posted of a stock tank modified by new hidden/isolated mounts.
    Yours on the other hand being scratch-built is just that, a labor of love for the masochists among us!
    Yes, I have built tanks, fenders and even cascading grill-teeth (DeSoto Maneater style). I am well aware of the time dedication and skill required to accomplish such projects. You have my respect, for what that's worth ...
    Oh, hah! Apologies. I was confused by what you said. Now I know why! LOL

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

agree with budd and chopprs I've been doing it that way since I was doing it in Vietnam '70-71. I was the only (gas) welder around. 3/4 ton Dodge Powerwagon trucks with no top would let water sit on top of the gas tanks. They were under the drivers seat. They would get so thin there was no welding the holes up as more would appear. So I would take sheets of metal the size of the top of the tank and lay it on top and weld all the way around it. Every time I did this I couldn't help but notice I was the only person at that end of the motorpool:-) But saying that I agree Tattooo has some good thoughts also. Pumping it us with compressed air and releasing it to let it help dry the tank out. Keeping your face away from the opening and After letting it dry out for a day or two make sure EVERY OPENING is open cause it will defently Whoosh! and just rinsing it out won't do shit.

An entertaining thread, for sure, but those of us who have yet to attempt modifying a tank would like some more direction please!
    MIG or TIG or gas?
    I have two tanks to modify, and I have a cheap MIG and a cheap TIG - which would be better? And any secrets with either method? Short runs? Thick / thin rod / wire? etc

Quote Originally Posted by zedhead View Post
    An entertaining thread, for sure, but those of us who have yet to attempt modifying a tank would like some more direction please!
    MIG or TIG or gas?
    I have two tanks to modify, and I have a cheap MIG and a cheap TIG - which would be better? And any secrets with either method? Short runs? Thick / thin rod / wire? etc
    Hit up welding web or one of the welding forums. Look up some of the miller charts for material (type of metal, thickness, etc) vs. Filler type. You could read welding tips on those forums for days and still find new info

That's a very good point Pliers - thanks - but I find that the welding forums tend to have too much info! I was just looking for some direct hints and tips from someone who had actually worked on a motorcycle fuel tank, and who knows what works and what doesn't. And, more importantly, what works with cheap (unadjustable) TIG and MIG. The forums seem to focus on professional quality welding machines, not the el cheapo stuff that us shed-dwellers use :-)

Share This