Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Steam jennies are awesome but not common in bike shops.

The idea is excellent and those without steam jennies could place a tank in a tub then fill it with boiling water with a dash of TSP or detergent of choice. If the weather isn't warm enough you can dry 'em out with a hair dryer or heat gun.

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

^^^^ Yep both are great ideas...^^^^^ I also put something like purple power in the tank slosh it around then run hot water in it for about 5 min, Let it dry in the sun for several hours then stick a torch in it.....

Then your good to go...

Comment

• Beefdrippings
        • Sep 2009

Good to see you here Bill. This place is better for it.
        (Rigid79 from shovel forum).

Originally posted by chopprs
        I just drain all of the fuel, take it off the bike and shove my torch in the bung...BOOF! You can then weld anywhere on the tank that you want to. Everyone is so scared of the fuel in the tank. It is really no big deal.

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
          • Apr 2010

I just drain all of the fuel, take it off the bike and shove my torch in the bung...BOOF! You can then weld anywhere on the tank that you want to. Everyone is so scared of the fuel in the tank. It is really no big deal.

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
            • Apr 2010

Pues un-chingow de gracias Stew, did not know that.

Comment

• Luky
              • May 2018

Do not weld on a fuel tank that has had fuel in it! Even if you wash it inside.
              As soon as you start to weld on it the fuel vapors will build up from the fuel still in the fabric of the metal.
              A young man was killed last year by taking a grinder to a 50 gallon drum that was empty but had held some type of hand
              lotion that had a petroleum component. He was in a school shop class and the teacher was not there.

Even a small lawn mower tank will make a small explosion if you weld on it.
              It does not matter how many times you washed it.

Go online and read about all the deaths and injuries from welding on tanks that have held a petroleum product.
              This includes diesel,hydraulic etc.,. Many many true stories you can learn from.
              You will not see this stories on the evening news. I wish they would tell some of the stories.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DP5l9yYt-g
              Last edited by Luky; 10-14-2018, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• SamHain
                • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Luky
                As soon as you start to weld on it the fuel vapors will build up from the fuel still in the fabric of the metal.
                A young man was killed last year by taking a grinder to a 50 gallon drum that was empty but had held some type of hand
                lotion that had a petroleum component. He was in a school shop class and the teacher was not there.

Even a small lawn mower tank will make a small explosion if you weld on it.
                It does not matter how many times you washed it.

Go online and read about all the deaths and injuries from welding on tanks that have held a petroleum product.
                This includes diesel,hydraulic etc.,. Many many true stories you can learn from.
                You will not see this stories on the evening news. I wish they would tell some of the stories.

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DP5l9yYt-g
                You’re high as fuck. Welding ain’t for everyone.

Comment

• Luky
                  • May 2018

Originally posted by SamHain
                  You’re high as fuck. Welding ain’t for everyone.
                  I am a certified welder and a welding inspector through the American Welding Society.
                  I have many years of experience welding many things.
                  I was a production TIG welder with stainless products for 14 years.
                  You have to have 3 years actual experience just to take the welding inspectors exam.
                  It is a 6 hour exam with a practical hands on component.
                  Go to Welding Web.com and read the safety section.

Comment

• SamHain
                    • Apr 2024

I am a certified welder and a welding inspector through the American Welding Society.
                    I have many years of experience welding many things.
                    I was a production TIG welder with stainless products for 14 years.
                    You have to have 3 years actual experience just to take the welding inspectors exam.
                    It is a 6 hour exam with a practical hands on component.
                    Go to Welding Web.com and read the safety section.
                    Congratulations bud. Then you know damn well of pipe and maintenance welders that exclusively weld on petroleum contaminated pipes and tanks.

Comment

• chopprs
                      • Oct 2018

Hahahha...you got some good drugs man! Thanx for the chuckle...!

Comment

• Luky
                        • May 2018

Originally posted by SamHain
                        Congratulations bud. Then you know damn well of pipe and maintenance welders that exclusively weld on petroleum contaminated pipes and tanks.
                        Four workers were killed last year when they were using a 4 inch grinder with cut off wheel to cut a vent line.
                        The foreman told management he did not want to risk it, and was told if he did not do it then they would get someone else to do it. He was burned one most of his body. This was at the Tosco refinery in California.
                        Last edited by Luky; 10-14-2018, 7:59 PM.

Comment

• SamHain
                          • Apr 2024

Four workers were killed last year when they were using a 4 inch grinder with cut off wheel to cut a vent line.
                          The foreman told management he did not want to risk it, and was told if he did not do it then they would get someone else to do it. He was burned one most of his body. This was at the Tosco refinery in California.
                          https://www.csb.gov/federal-investig...t-supervision/
                          1999? Working on a pressurized line? Yeah....

According to the Board's Rosenthal: "The refinery's own procedures directed that the piping should be isolated and drained prior to attempting this kind of repair.
                          Here’s me. Sure as fuck still cutting and welding gas tanks for fun, and sure haven’t given up on fuel and oil for money.
                          Last edited by Guest; 10-14-2018, 9:39 PM.

Comment

• Steelsmith
                            • Apr 2018

The bottom-line here is, weld at your own risk/within your own experience and comfort level.
                            However, just because you read somebody does this or that a hundred times and is still here, will not make it any better if you get hurt! Always, always, ALWAYS, be careful around gastanks. It only takes one mistake to change your life.
                            The risk involved in certain procedures can be mitigated by hiring a professional, that's why they make the wages they do. Risk/liability/experience/skill/education is what you are paying for.

Comment

• chopprs
                              • Oct 2018

Originally posted by Steelsmith
                              The bottom-line here is, weld at your own risk/within your own experience and comfort level.
                              However, just because you read somebody does this or that a hundred times and is still here, will not make it any better if you get hurt! Always, always, ALWAYS, be careful around gastanks. It only takes one mistake to change your life.
                              The risk involved in certain procedures can be mitigated by hiring a professional, that's why they make the wages they do. Risk/liability/experience/skill/education is what you are paying for.

...what qualifies as a "Professional"???

Comment

• Steelsmith
                                • Apr 2018

...what qualifies as a "Professional"???

That's a really good/relevant question!
                                The simple answer is: a Professional is one who does something as a part of their profession. This alludes to a certain level of experience as well as training however informal that training might be. I guess getting to 'know your fabricator' would be a wise investment in time. Feedback from prior customers would be in order, just be sure to understand their perspective/wear your filter. Bias replys are the norm, pro or con!
                                Some customers don't like to admit when they've been taken. Others, will try to paint their fabricator as a bad-guy after trying to get something for nothing and they won't roll-over. I've found bias communication/communicating through rose-colored glasses. The reality is, if you hire work done, be very explicit in your expectations and do it in writing! That way you should both understand what is expected and put an all-in price/dollar figure on what will be paid.
                                Nobody wants to be taken advantage of, not the payer nor the payee!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;