Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shortpork
    • Feb 2016

XS rear wheel on 600 shadow

I don’t like the giant hub and chodey street tires available for the stock 15in shadow rear wheel, so I picked up a 16in xs wheel online.

Well baked me thought the axle sizes were the same cause I only half assed looked into it that night.
    It’s the look I want and I can get everything else to jive but the shadow has a 16mm axle and the xs has a 20mm.

Could I...
    Put a sleeve over the shadow axle the width of the xs hub to snug everything up??

The sleeve and axle would turn independently, but the hub all turns independently as well. I Would weld them together but couldn’t remove the back tire then.

I don’t see a problem with it but I don’t have mechanically minded friends to ask. Just looking for others opinions. Thanks
  • 53panhead
    • Apr 2017

Can you change the bearings to fit the axle?

Comment

• shortpork
      • Feb 2016

I was thinking that but I’m not totally sure how that works. Wouldn’t the axle only be riding on the bearings rather than the entire width of the hub? It’s hard tailed so that seems like a lot of stress on a small area. But idk

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

Yup, just swap bearings to fit hub and axle. The axle should be riding on just the bearings.

Just measure the size of the outside diameter of the xs bearings (same as hub size of xs) and the axle diameter of the shadow, then find bearings to fit.

Bearings may be a different size on each side of the hub; often larger on the chain/belt/shaft (drive) side.

I took a quick look here and saw the left side for XS 650 rear wheel listed as a #6203-2RS bearing (25mmx62mmx17mm) and left rear bearing for shadow 600 as #6303-2RS (17x47x17).
        Look for more bearings from All Balls Racing,
        and here:
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• shortpork
          • Feb 2016

Thank you Trinort! So looking through th axle hole of the xs the hub and bearing look to be the same diameter. You’re saying I’m good to put bearings with smaller ID so the axle only rides in the bearings correct?
          Sorry, paranoid about some of this stuff...

Comment

• 53panhead
            • Apr 2017

Originally posted by shortpork
            Thank you Trinort! So looking through th axle hole of the xs the hub and bearing look to be the same diameter. You’re saying I’m good to put bearings with smaller ID so the axle only rides in the bearings correct?
            Yep that's what he's saying. Your good to go just get a smaller bearing.

The axle runs on the bearings and nothing else.
            Last edited by 53panhead; 10-06-2018, 1:25 PM.

Comment

• shortpork
              • Feb 2016

Cool! Thank you both for the help. Really appreciate it!

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                • Dec 2017

You will also need the right diameter spacer, which fits between the bearings, inside the hub.
                Take a look here:
                does anyone have any tips on removing the rear bearing on a mag wheel? the manual says to move the spacer to the side and tap around the bearing inner race to remove it. the problem is the spacer isn't moving to the side allowing me access to the inner race :shrug:

Click image for larger version

Name:	789F48C2-5DEC-49AF-8D99-92F979E95C46-10576-000002E4561C35A7_zps649fa82c.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1305679

Here is a link to a xs650 shop manual pdf from xs650 chopper.com which may be helpful while dealing with that wheel:
                If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• shortpork
                  • Feb 2016

Sweet thank you for that. I did some looking and I should be able to find what I need. If the new bearings I get are the same width then the spacer that’s in there should work still yeah?

Comment

• shortpork
                    • Feb 2016

So I took my wheel apart and found this diagram.

Name:	BD535DA9-0F4F-4F4A-9235-D9341AF55031.jpg
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1305680
                    Piece #20 it a top hat that goes into the sprocket side bearing ( which is larger than the brake side bearing). For this to work I would need that Tophat piece with a ID of 17mm.

When I was reading how to remove these wheel bearings people were saying to slide the spacer to one side so you can get your punch on the other sides bearing. My spacer had no movement, but would without this top hat piece. If my replacement bearing had my ID of 17mm would I need this top hat piece? Is the wheel spacer slop okay? Sounds like other bikes have some...
                    Thanks

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                      • Dec 2017

Since you will not be re-using the bearings, you can follow the procedure the one poster explains from the link the the thread above:
                      "On these rear wheels, you don't have to go through that whole routine of sliding the spacer to the side to get at the bearing. That only needs to be done for the fronts. On the sprocket side bearing, there's a top hat shaped spacer (#20 below) pressed into it from the rear. Find a socket that fits on that and simply drive it into the hub. It will push the center spacer and the other bearing out. Then it's a simple matter to remove the sprocket side one with a drift of some sort."

Normally you only want to press on the outer ring of the bearing, which is what you can do when you install new bearings in the bores in the hub.

The spacer has to be the right length between the inner rings of the bearings, when the bearings are fully installed to prevent side-loading of the bearings - you don't want that.
                      You may be able to modify the one from the Shadow back wheel.

One way to measure for the spacer length is install one of the bearings until it is fully seated in the hub, then use a measuring tool (vernier caliper works great for this) and measure from the inner edge of the bearing to the seat of the bearing bore on the other side of the hub...you want the bearing spacer to be the same length as the distance between the inner faces of the two fully installed bearings.

This 2015 thread may be helpful:
                      Spacer between wheel bearings - what's the skinny on length, material?
                      Greetings one and all. I am doing a fork conversion that requires making up a new internal spacer (the one that goes inside the front hub, between...

Next will be spacers to center the wheel:
                      Makin' Custom Wheel Spacers
                      Measure Thrice, Cut Once

Name:	PhotoID1753.jpg
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	1305681
                      Wheel spacing is an important part of any ground-up bike building project. It also must be addressed when customizing an existing bike...
                      Wheel spacing is an important part of any ground-up bike building project. It also must be addressed when customizing an existing bike. With the vast selection of frames and wheels available today, there is no way any manufacturer can fit every different wheel combo to their frame and provide exact fitting wheel spacers.
                      Last edited by TriNortchopz; 10-06-2018, 9:27 PM. Reason: sp

Comment

• shortpork
                        • Feb 2016

Ok great info. So from your earlier post you say the spacer has to be the same diameter as the axle? Ie fit snug around the axle. If so I’d be back to my initial solution of a sleeve would seem the easiest.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                          • Dec 2017

I was confused with your original explanation and didn't understand about welding them together and the axle turning...

The sleeve and axle would turn independently, but the hub all turns independently as well. I Would weld them together but couldn’t remove the back tire then.
                          Spacer does not need to be a snug fit on the axle, it just needs to be the right diameter to fit against the inner 'ring' of the bearings...

I would measure the bearings and get new ones from a local bearing supplier.

Comment

• shortpork
                            • Feb 2016

Oh okay. That makes sense.

So I found that the xs wheel spacer fits perfectly on the shadow inside bearing ring and the new bearings will have the same ID. The xs wheel spacer will be short since the Tophat won’t be used anymore but... I’ve got tube the same diameter as the stock spacer and the ring slides off. Looks like I’ll just make my own to length so long as it all jives up as planned.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;