Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KT
    • Aug 2009

Speeding Ohio cop fired, trooper to be suspended

Kinda crazy deal been going on here for last couple days in the news.....

Speeding Ohio cop fired, trooper to be suspended
    By Associated Press

POSTED: 07:54 a.m. EDT, Aug 25, 2009

COLUMBUS: An Ohio police officer has been fired for off-duty speeding on his motorcycle at nearly 150 mph, but a state trooper ticketed with him keeps his job.
    Christopher Thomas learned from a letter Monday that he was being dismissed as an officer for the Columbus suburb of Gahanna. The city's safety director wrote that Thomas was not suited to be a police officer.
    State Highway Patrol officials wanted to terminate Trooper Jason Highsmith. Instead, an agreement reached with the State Troopers Association on Monday will suspend him without pay for five days and reassign him.
    Thomas and Highsmith both pleaded guilty to speeding for citations they received on Interstate 70 on June 28. Authorities said Thomas was clocked at 149 mph and Highsmith at 147 mph.
    COLUMBUS: An Ohio police officer has been fired for off-duty speeding on his motorcycle at nearly 150 mph, but a state trooper ticketed with him keeps his job.

Christopher Thomas learned from a letter Monday that he was being dismissed as an officer for the Columbus suburb of Gahanna. The city's safety director wrote that Thomas was not suited to be a police officer.

State Highway Patrol officials wanted to terminate Trooper Jason Highsmith. Instead, an agreement reached with the State Troopers Association on Monday will suspend him without pay for five days and reassign him.

Thomas and Highsmith both pleaded guilty to speeding for citations they received on Interstate 70 on June 28. Authorities said Thomas was clocked at 149 mph and Highsmith at 147 mph.
  • RockinRyan
    • Aug 2009

I'm shocked even one of them lost their job.

Comment

• AfterHours
      • Jul 2009

They're probably cool as fuck. Imagine what a ride-a-long with these dudes would be like,and on bikes!

Comment

• honkey84
        • Aug 2009

Surprised also that they didn't both get to keep there jobs. You ask me its bullshit. Here you have to off duty officers that are breaking multiple laws and dont suffer the normal reprocussions that me or anyone else would get. Cops are bullshit, and the way they act about the law is bullshit. "To serve and protect." Until their asses are in the hot seat, and thats when the biggest fucking double standard applies to them.

Comment

• BlueCollarMoto
          • Mar 2024

This guy had the right idea on how to deal with cops!

Comment

• nocoast
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by honkey84
            Surprised also that they didn't both get to keep there jobs. You ask me its bullshit. Here you have to off duty officers that are breaking multiple laws and dont suffer the normal reprocussions that me or anyone else would get. Cops are bullshit, and the way they act about the law is bullshit. "To serve and protect." Until their asses are in the hot seat, and thats when the biggest fucking double standard applies to them.
            Normal reprocussions? How many people have jobs that if you get a speeding ticket you lose your job?

These people have to live up to a higher standard then the general public and thats part of the job, but I think getting fired is a bit harah handed. This wouldn't even be news if it were a IT guy/ mechanic/ cashier at Target/etc.

Comment

• honkey84
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by nocoast
              Normal reprocussions? How many people have jobs that if you get a speeding ticket you lose your job?

These people have to live up to a higher standard then the general public and thats part of the job, but I think getting fired is a bit harah handed. This wouldn't even be news if it were a IT guy/ mechanic/ cashier at Target/etc.

What Im saying is that one guy lost his job and thats it, or atleast thats what is in the article what happend to them. I know, atleast here in Illinois, a regular person as myself would get a laundry list of tickets, lose my drivers license, and get dropped by my insurance. These guys were going 150 MPH on a public road. Here thats called wreckless endangerment. If they got the same tickets and charges as I would then great, but if not I think they got off lightly to be honest just becasue they are cops which is crap in my book. You break the law, officer or not you should be treated the same as any other tax payer. Just my two cents......

Comment

• AfterHours
                • Jul 2009

I guess I'm the only guy that knows a cool cop or two. One even insists that I carry a loaded gun wether I have a permit or not,and is all about the real biker scene so much his job has been on the line for him standing up for what he believes in. I've been pulled over mucho,and there cocksuckers a-plenty,but more often than not they end up checking out the bike and giving me a verbal warning.

I also unbutton my blouse,maybe that helps?

Comment

• nocoast
                  • Aug 2009

What Im saying is that one guy lost his job and thats it, or atleast thats what is in the article what happend to them. I know, atleast here in Illinois, a regular person as myself would get a laundry list of tickets, lose my drivers license, and get dropped by my insurance. These guys were going 150 MPH on a public road. Here thats called wreckless endangerment. If they got the same tickets and charges as I would then great, but if not I think they got off lightly to be honest just becasue they are cops which is crap in my book. You break the law, officer or not you should be treated the same as any other tax payer. Just my two cents......
                  Dude, it says in the article that they were ticketed. How do you figure they got any "get out of jail free" passes? So it seems as though they were treated as tax payers.

What they were doing was stupid was fuck. No doubt. They should and seemingly were ticketed for doing so. But to lose a job is stupid.

Anyone who works a civil service job is under a mircoscope off duty. DUI's, Bar-fights, speeding tickets , can casue you to lose your job. These dudes were doing nothing different then what most of us have done ( shit, I've buried my needle at 120 mph) but INADDITION to the price a normal tax payer would pay, they also lost their job.

Comment

• BlueCollarMoto
                    • Mar 2024

Originally posted by nocoast
                    Dude, it says in the article that they were ticketed. How do you figure they got any "get out of jail free" passes? So it seems as though they were treated as tax payers.

What they were doing was stupid was fuck. No doubt. They should and seemingly were ticketed for doing so. But to lose a job is stupid.

Anyone who works a civil service job is under a microscope off duty. DUI's, Bar-fights, speeding tickets , can cause you to lose your job. These dudes were doing nothing different then what most of us have done ( shit, I've buried my needle at 120 mph) but INADDITION to the price a normal tax payer would pay, they also lost their job.
                    Going 150 on the FWY is a bad thing?
                    Hell man. If I had a job where I had to drive a Co car I would loose my job if I got a ticket for getting caught doing 150mph. The one that didn't get canned probably is at a desk for the foreseeable future.

Comment

• ARBY
                      • Mar 2024

Double standard? What double standard? One lost his job one got suspended. I don't know what you do for a living but I'll bet if you got a speeding ticket you'd still be going to work in the morning. Maybe you should suffer the same standard.

Comment

• xllance
                        • Mar 2024

Ask a UPS driver what happens if he gets a ticket. Same goes for AT&T service dudes. They get fired. Just having a CDL is almost criminal nowdays, in Texas you can't even take defensive driving with a CDL.

Comment

• born2boogie
                          • Mar 2024

Acab

all cops are bastards

plain n simple

Comment

• jonnyrtn
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by ARBY
                            Double standard? What double standard? One lost his job one got suspended. I don't know what you do for a living but I'll bet if you got a speeding ticket you'd still be going to work in the morning. Maybe you should suffer the same standard.
                            Arby... search "Chief Leach Riverside DUI" and you will see the biggest double standard there is. It got to big to hide so at least he plead guilty... or "Deputy Graves Murrieta" Yeah the guy got arrested for shooting at the bar and running then trying to cover up evidence but, he was on probation for DV that was pled down so he could keep his job and carry his gun, the DA even let him plead down his drunken shooting spree (behind the scenes in a closed court)... it goes on and on and on DA's going easy on cops, cops letting other cops off etc etc.... at least in Cali the CHP will lock your ass up badge or no badge, they will lock up even their own commanders for DUI..... the CHP may be dicks, but they practice what they preach... people are getting sick of corrupt cops. If you cannot honor the publics trust, you need to have your POST certificate ripped up and go flip burgers.

Comment

• TemeculaTerry
                              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by born2boogie
                              all cops are bastards

plain n simple
                              I would happen to disagree - Pretty fucking ignorant statement!

If I get caught going 150 during work hours and get my license suspended for reckless driving, accrue more than 3 tickets a year or get a DUI I will loose my job.
                              I feel bad for that cop man, just another biker having fun with a bro, not much different than what we all do.

That pissing vid was classic...

BTW - I got pulled over yesterday, not for speeding but other things and the moto cop was a pretty cool dude - let me off with a warning.
                              Last edited by TemeculaTerry; 03-31-2010, 10:40 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;