ness wishbone springer dimensions needed.

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobberadam
    • Jan 2011

ness wishbone springer dimensions needed.

Guys, it is that time again. I am building another bike and wanting to build a ness style springer. I am having trouble coming across dimensions for all the spacing and what not. yes, obviously i can come up with the length myself. I am needing the spring spacing upper tree dimensions and etc. If you have one on hand and could get me some info it would be super appreciated. see examples of what i am trying to replicate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	1343629

Name:	ness1-2[1].jpg
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1343630
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

Bit of somethin' here in the Chopper Builders Handbook:
    Vintage Ness Styled Springer Project

"A few weeks ago my friend Duane Lansing of Hydro-Fabrication in Wylie Texas received a request from a couple of his buddies to cut some trees on his water jet machine based upon patterns from two old fork sets they had that were sold by Arlen Ness back in the sixties and seventies."

"What makes the research a little difficult is that these particular forks were made before the popular appearance of 'Chopper magazines' in the late sixties so there really isn't a whole lot of published material that can be searched for photographs or old advertisements. Most of the snapshots used on these pages were just culled from Internet discussion board threads. Both the 'Jockey Journal' and 'Chop Cult' have some excellent threads running about these old forks.

As far as we can determine Ness didn't actually design the forks but instead adapted an old design that was popular in the early sixties mostly for Springer Trikes and rigid Girders..."

Name:	ness-springer-100.JPG
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1305481

I had a Ness springer like that, where the lower tree did not wrap around the leg, on my '69 BSA A65 Lightening rigid chop about 20 years ago.

and

2010 Thread: Springer Identification
    eliwolf6; "...it is indeed a ness"
    Picked this up the other day, its super narrow, no bung for a brake, 4" over, appears to be solid legs, the bottom plate for the springs on the front legs has the light mount built in, different than i have seen before.. Ive done a couple hours scouring the web to try and figure out who makes it, and i must know, cant look

and

ARLEN NESS CENTURY ENTERPRISES WISHBONE SPRINGER LEGS
    Width: 3.625" wide between the legs
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 09-25-2018, 11:44 PM. Reason: more info
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• bobberadam
      • Jan 2011

Thank you TRI, I have seen those posts. Unfortunately the CBH cuts off before it is finished and before the templates were posted. I get so much out of that site though. I am basically looking for the hole spacing on the top tree and how far the front legs extend through the bottom "tree" and if they are drilled and tapped for the spring hat. everything else i can obviously figure out with math. i am open to either style, Wrap around bottom tree or the one that just welds between the legs, I think i am more leaning towards the weld between the legs style as it looks cleaner in my opinion.

Name:	ness-parts-1.jpg
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	1305485

Comment

• bobberadam
        • Jan 2011

I got my needed info, I am making drawings and etc. now. I will post up all my info so it is readily available for someone else in the future.

Comment

• Finkit
          • Jul 2009

Did you ever get your drawings done???

Comment

• Hubbard
            • Dec 2010

How about calling Arlen and askin him????

Comment

• Smiley
              • Jun 2012

I know that this is an old post but I figure that most folks know that Arlen is no longer with us but I need to make a few comments about the particular style of Springers that became associated with his name. There no doubt that the man was a creative genius but the forks most of us are familiar with were not his original design having been around long before he put heat to metal. The designs most of us call Ness Springers were designed originally for Honda and Triumph bikes (light weight) and as near as anybody can tell came to us from some unknown maker. Ness added his own touches like the opposed wound springs and the option for adjustable trees on some versions but the design does have some drawbacks that the prospective builder needs to think about when trying to replicate a set. His more recent models usually were more conventional and a better design to build from while still keeping the same general appearance. I was in the middle of moving from Texas and never had a chance to finish the build write-up but I'll get back to it as soon as I can. These are nice looking forks, especially if you use the counter-wound springs. Also there are several ways to mount the bars that I never got around to illustrating and it was his totally original neat idea to make the bars and legs look like a single piece of tubing.

Comment

• guiltyview
                • Dec 2012

I have one I am looking to sell

Comment

• bobberadam
                  • Jan 2011

Sorry i kind of abandoned this thread, life has been crazy busy. I have made no forward progress on this. I will be getting started on this project this winter.

Smiley, Thank you so much for chiming in on this thread. I appreciate the information you gave on this matter and i have all of your other information invaluable. I hope to see you around here more!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;