Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rbrooks1992
    • Jan 2018

Panhead BDL belt drive issues

Hey guys I have searched and searched and yet found anybody to share the same problem I'm having. I purchased a BDL belt drive for my STD panhead. This is my first bike and I tore it completely down to frame and motor and have rebuilt everything because the bike was a loose cannon. The engine has a s&s flywheel in it from what I can tell by the markings through the timing cover. Has a splined front shaft and tapered transmission shaft. I installed the belt drive along with an adjustable transmission plate. Torqued rear engine mounts, shimmed the front and torqued those down, mounted the trans plate and torqued it down, then the transmission was installed and I've ran a straight edge from the front pulley to the rear to check the belt tracking and I've adjusted it the best I can and still having issues with the belt hanging off the clutch drum about an 1/8". That's the closest I can get it, I've heard of guys having the belt rub the back of the basket but haven't seen anybody post about hanging off the basket. Any ideas what my problem could be? This is all mounted in a pre 70s paugcho frame with no signs of being tweaked or bent. Seems like the transmission is sitting 1/4" too far to the left in the frame. I've also made sure the clutch hub is going all the way on the shaft and isn't hanging on the key
    Last edited by Rbrooks1992; 09-24-2018, 2:23 AM.
  • WillSCB
    • Dec 2014

Do you know what year the trans came from or out of? Asking because the later four speeds have a longer main shaft, and this might account for the way the belt lines up. You mentioned that the frame is a pre 70's paughco, so if you have a trans with a mainshaft for a 70 or later, later, then the mainshaft is longer than the frame is designed for, which would explain the way the driveline lines up. As I see it, there are two ways to deal with this. Best way would be to get the proper main shaft for the frame. Second method would be to fabricate (or have someone fabricate) a transmission mounting plate with the proper amount of offset. A third option would be to get the insert from BDL fpr tje frponont sprocket to offset it 1/4". They sell them because of the wide tire craze that required trans offset. Hope something here helps, and good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

• Rbrooks1992
      • Jan 2018

Thanks for the input willscb! This is all new to me so I'm lacking all the knowledge of these old bikes. I just had the trans rebuilt by a local guy with a very reputable shop, he's super old school and doesn't work on anything but Harley's evos and older. The guy who had the bike before me apparently tried to put the trans together with all different years of parts. So this could be very possible. It's also an aftermarket case and not sure what brand. I'll see if I can get my transmission mount holes to the frame slotted to the left on a mill if there's enough material.

Comment

• Rbrooks1992
        • Jan 2018

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3998.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1305416

This should show what I'm dealing with

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

Asking because the later four speeds have a longer main shaft, and this might account for the way the belt lines up.
          See post #6 here by Dragstews for mainshaft length tech:
          2015 Thread: Changing mainshaft length on 4 speeds, 48-77, bearing retainer plate screw removal
          I got a smoking deal on a 1977 4 speed with a ratchet top. Of course the mainshaft in the '77 is the longer length for electric starter. I'm running a set up, '60 Pan, kick only. I have heard/read, that changing out the mainshaft for the shorter shaft, (AKA before HD had electric starts on BT's), is a direct swap of mainshafts
          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Rbrooks1992
            • Jan 2018

Thanks for the response. I'm considering having the transmission plate mounting holes slotted on a mill so I can adjust the plate side to side. I'll keep an eye out for an oem 65 ratchet top case and have it rebuilt with all new parts and the mainshaft I need

Comment

• Hubbard
              • Dec 2010

Do you have enough spline showing on the motor to move the front pulley out?

Comment

• klondikekid64
                • Nov 2013

This helped me wrap my head around alignment issues. Click image for larger version

Name:	BeltAlignment.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1308080

Comment

• Sky
                  • Aug 2009

Is the plate flipped?
                  Is the belt wider than the teeth on the basket?

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
                    • Apr 2010

Well, I was being kind, but your headaches started when u bought the BDL.

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

I think OP has abandoned the thread.

A machine shop can lengthen the plate slots in minutes so there's zero downside to trying that. Anyone with a mill would pounce on that solution after checking to ensure the plate was not flipped.

If not enough metal on plate, make another. The nice thing about HDs being farm equipment tier simple is easy modification.

Of course moving the transmission laterally will shift the drive sprocket the same amount so take that into account when aligning rear wheel.
                      Last edited by farmall; 02-03-2019, 2:00 PM.

Comment

• soper1945
                        • Apr 2024

With the passage of time belts were weaker and weaker. But if you purchased a new bike then you should contact the retailer or manufacturer of that bike. These issues are common so don’t worry and just put the new BDL belt in front of your eyes and that will run for years. So I hope this will help you, thanks.

You can read review to learn more...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;