here's a new look for a old motor ...

it be grinning like a possum .. !! `

schwiiing!!!

Comment

• Dragstews
      • Sep 2010

I like it ...

Super big battery cavity ...
      Last edited by Dragstews; 12-23-2021, 2:01 PM.
      Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Looks good! Good call on that tank. I see why you used it. Side fill beats flipping a seat to add oil.

Howsabout laying a starter in place for reference? I wanna see how much clearance I'll be working with from the right side/rear (as will potential future tank customers).

I like that tank either way but if the starter can be replaced with it installed or just loosened that's a nice bonus.
        Last edited by farmall; 12-23-2021, 7:42 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Once upon a time there was a company making a cast Alum battery top that was made to fit the battery that will be used in dat tank ..
          What was slick about it, it had the lines of the old 6V battery top ...

Put one on the Turbo 48 ....

Click image for larger version

Name:	52Pan021-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1321435

Tried to find it on the net, but had no luck ..
          Think I'll give ChopperDave a call ... Bet he's making them, if not I'm fairly sure he would jump too ...

I also make custom parts, Car Club Plaques, Buckles, Points Covers, Air Cleaners etc,

if it can be cast I'm down to do it. Hit me up on my email from the contacts page.

Pricing varies on the job, complexity, etc.
          Last edited by Dragstews; 12-23-2021, 8:22 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

... /// https://youtu.be/MQrlBIMTzIM \\\ ...

(Dang, those Lassies has more moves than Ex-lax !) ..
            Last edited by Dragstews; 12-24-2021, 4:19 PM.

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

Thanks for posting the good news (from my maintenance POV anyway). I like that tank even more now it see where it improves access.
              Good call using a black starter in the pic for contrast too.

That much clearance will make for easy starter R&I, and if a customer doesn't want e-start at the moment will not exclude fitting it when old age comes a callin'.

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by farmall

I like that tank.
                Shall we add it to your growing pile of parts .. ?

(Old age isn't so bad when you consider the alternative.)
                Last edited by Dragstews; 12-25-2021, 4:26 AM.

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

Add to pile.

YGPP.
                  Last edited by farmall; 12-25-2021, 3:29 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

Yuppers ...

Originally posted by farmall

YGPP.
                    Been two months waiting for the S&S order ...
                    Maybe next year the parts will show up ... ??

Getting all the parts that's on our list has been a slow process due to back-orders ...
                    And most likely Covid 19 had a huge hand in the wait ... !!

... /// https://youtu.be/agrKCwvtfP8 \\\ ...
                    Last edited by Dragstews; 12-26-2021, 1:08 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                      • Sep 2010

Let's take a short break from Scooter talk and eyeball some Car-Candy ....

Pro-Street looks like fun ...
                      (As if I didn't already have bad vices) ..

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

Pro-Street is a GOOD vice, and ya can always do a pro-themed vintage toy hauler to tote yer collection and future additions thereto.

Everyone needs a steel bed rollback (tougher and easy to weld, doesn't gouge when loading machinery or vehicles without wheels) with a classic cab over they can use as a shop vehicle and write off as a business expense. F-350/C3500 size is light duty and covers most bases but bigger isn't always more money and toy haulers are often registered as RVs.

Classic alloy 8-lug (or ten, ya know ya wanna go large) wheels polish out nicely, vintage air conditioner kits are plentiful, and for meets ya could add a sleeper with one of those single-cylinder diesel APUs so you have power and air for comfy sleeping. Round saddle tanks are classics in alloy and give ya any range you desire. (I scored a 125 gallon new takeoff for 150 bucks as a hurricane reserve tank, worth considering given your location.)

A rollback makes a glorious bugout vehicle since they carry so much. (Ramp trucks are crippled by comparison so avoid those and the sheet metal is more bodywork) The stingers are dandy for picking trailers too. Cars are decorative and kind of useless except as driveway ornaments, but a sexy truck ya can use often is the best of both worlds and getting 1000 ponies out of a Cummins ain't hard.

Now you have a practical justification for yer next project.
                        Last edited by farmall; 12-26-2021, 5:07 PM.

Comment

• farmall
                          • Apr 2013

Question for the group:

Whose five speed Softail belt drive kits use a solid billet (not castings machined to look like billet, but obviously milled from solid as in you've seen both sides) motor plate preferably with plenty of metal to leave area for modifications?

Turning a simple plate to bolt to the Pan case has been done to adapt stock Softail five speed inner primary covers:

I'm considering something similar with a billet (no casting voids so I can machine or weld anywhere, much stronger than cast) motor plate but vendors don't like taking rear photos of their toys. Another option might be copying the Primo two-piece motor plate then milling a front half to mate with the Pan case. With a plate added it would be easy to trim the excess for a finished look.

No idea without parts in hand if I could mod black steel inner and outer primary covers to mount to a flat motor plate but that could be an interesting future adventure and I've some scrap covers to play with.

I figure on a Primo belt drive and clutch but the rest can come from anything that does the job.

Another option could be milling off the front of a Softail kit for a result like this transmission (ignore the chain drive, chains belong in chaincases) for a shitload less money and maybe anchorage to a frame mount. I don't want my gearbox shifting under load.

Anyone recognize this plate or own one?

Compatible with Primo IV clutch basket. Designed and fits Twin-Cam 99-06 Softail models also fits EVO 90-98 Softail models. Belt drive mounting plate with starter support. "Does Not fit with BDL clutch basket.

What sayeth the hive mind?

Comment

• rockman96
                            • May 2018

BDL makes some really nice set ups, and top quality, i.e.:

And Ultima has billet offerings: https://www.ebay.com/itm/33335790689...gAAOSw-cFbeuk7
                            ETA: I see now that this one is for a Dyna. They make one for softails, but no listing at the moment.

I'm a little confused how you'll be able to implement a softail motor plate with what you have though... Aren't you using pan cases? I could easily be misinterpreting here too...
                            Last edited by rockman96; 12-27-2021, 7:25 AM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

Click image for larger version

Name:	214018967_10223471104704374_124080381493244065_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	1321447

The left case will have the dimensions of the 65 to 69 year models ...

Sprocket shaft will be of the 70-up dimensions ...

What we have going together is a bit of a .....

I see some homespun going down to make up a motor-plate ...
                              Last edited by Dragstews; 12-27-2021, 8:16 AM.

Comment

• farmall
                                • Apr 2013

I'm a little confused how you'll be able to implement a softail motor plate with what you have though... Aren't you using pan cases? I could easily be misinterpreting here too...
                                A Softail plate fits the five speed gearbox but not of course the Pan cases. The plan with the sprocket shaft is to permit use of 1970-up belt drives so the belt is a solved problem but not the motor plate on the engine side. if you observe the plate mod to a stock Softail inner primary in the photos you'll see how that simple mod permits any later inner primary to mount to the Pan bolt pattern. I don't want the bulk of a stock Softail primary case blocking the view so plan is for an open belt (but guarded by whatever I use for mid controls to keep feet out of the belt).

Check the pics and all will be clear:

If I can find a pic of the back of the BDL motor plate that may tell the tale. Their instruction sheet uses tiny BW pics and videos etc aren't promising but I'll keep looking. The clearance cuts on the back of their 900F plate for filter hose routing are an obstacle. Their skeletonized style plate may work as it already appears to bolt to the alternator cover but their pic sucks. After narrowing down my choices I'll likely ask BDL for a pic. I don't really want to pay top dollar for a plate I gotta modify anyway.
                                I see some homespun going down to make up a motor-plate ...
                                That is the plan and the reason I'm wanting a billet plate to work with. The voids in castings won't permit machining anywhere I please and they're not as strong as billet.

BTW Ultima don't use billet plates. I just found a backside photo on Ebay. Since "billet" sounds cool to people who don't know metal a lot of "billet" CNC machined accessories are actually machined from castings in "billet style" to reduce the amount of aluminum used. Billet is not expensive but in volume every dollar counts and offshore patternmaking costs are cheap.
                                Last edited by farmall; 12-27-2021, 8:57 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;