Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

How to measure O-rings and save $$$.

Most gasket and seal kits aren't cheap. Fortunately makers use standard O-rings for nearly every application. You can do the same for metric rings but I'm not working anything metric at home right now so post refers to non-metric sizes.

Next time you remove one (if it's not mangled) or install a new ring, measure the outside diameter (OD), inside diameter (ID) and thickness. Write that down and you can find bags of rings easily for dirt cheap.

You'll get a feel for standard sizes. For example the rings for the small primary chain inspection covers on Evo Sporties seal 1/4" screws.

Their inside diameter is 1/4", their outside diameter is 3/8", and their diameter is 1/16" thick.

The OD minus the ID equals TWICE the diameter because they are circular.

I started taping removed rings to white cardboard along with dimensions so I have sample sheets for my O-ring stash for quick visual reference. Standard aircraft practice to to have wall boards of such small parts for easy ordering and the principle is fucking wonderful.

You can find bags of Viton or Buna rings online for dirt cheap, and ring vendors sites discuss what materials are good for a given application if you want to learn more. For motorcycles Viton or Buna is fine. Viton is a bit better and the same material carb needles are tipped with.

Some S&S Super E sizes. "Exploded view" references S&S Super E instruction sheet. Text is as I labeled them hence the caps.

1/16" THICK X 3/8" OD X 1/4" ID = ACCEL PUMP CAP #42 IN EXPLODED VIEW. (2 EACH)

1/16" THICK X 1/4" OD X 1/8" ID = ACCEL PUMP SQUIRTER "FREQUENTLY LOST" WHEN PULLING BOWL. (1 EACH)

3mm ID x 5mm OD x 1mm THICK = IDLE FUEL MIXTURE SCREW. (1 EACH) - Too thin for my liking. Was torn on my new carb. Use the accel. pump ring instead.

1/16" THICK X 9/16" OD X 7/16" ID = SEAT AND BOWL PLUG. (2 EACH)

I just ordered the above so here are some example prices. I'm not affiliated with the sellers.

Accel pump cap:

Accel pump squirter:

/292387646765?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I use a cheap Harbor Freight digital caliper for that stuff to save my nice Mitutoyo and Tesa. They work fine though the feel is gritty, and their key advantage is instant fractional conversion which is veryfuckinguseful for SAE hardware. For about 20 bucks it's like a sore dick, you can't beat it.

BTW Super B or E bowl gaskets are usually good for several uses. If you trace or scan your gasket you can use that as a pattern when cutting your own. You can also email scans to others which might come in handy.
    Last edited by farmall; 04-08-2019, 1:01 PM.
  • armand
    • Jan 2012

Thanks farmall!

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

Ya, good stuff.
      I just read an old 2006 thread, in the 'Fits 'n Bits section', a couple days ago with similar info:

O rings and bearings
      "Most 'o' rings and bearings you find on your bike are standard sizes.
      Check out local bearing place before ordering 'genuine' part. This includes 'o' rings in brake cylinders. Dav just found out the hard way by paying $17 for his first 'genuine' set of brake 'o' rings and then 70c for his second set from CBC!"
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Example fluid resistance guide shows why Viton is outstanding:

You do NOT have to go this deep to find if a ring suits you, but know these guides exist and also apply to seal materials.

Every time I think in industrial or aviation terms when choosing and sourcing parts I get the result I'm after.

Comment

• xMPRx
          • Jun 2013

I couldn't agree with this more. great info, thank you farmall
          Last edited by xMPRx; 10-01-2018, 1:40 AM.

Comment

• malloy
            • Feb 2010

just to add to the good advice.. mcmaster-carr is a great site for probably every o-ring on the planet.

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

Update with a useful page from W&W Cycles who mostly cater to Europe. https://www.wwag.com/en/replacement-...-g-carburetors

This page is worth saving (no website is forever) because it lists all the S&S Super E O-ring sizes in metric. It also lists parts like float bown and accel pump screw lengths and thread pitches. The photographs are nicer for those not highly familar and the whole W&W site is nicely done.

Not a huge deal in the US but those disliking the extremely annoying stock zinc-plates garbage filister head stock screws can buy stainless socket head replacements cheap online. I've enough carbs it's worth buying in bulk packs so I convert mine and my bros I help out as I go. Socket heads stay on hex keys making roadside life easier.

The more expensive extended length custom bowl screws work nicely for racing or kool points or if you don't have a bunch of carbs to convert.

Comment

• DustyDave
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

While searching for ucup seals for my 40 year old log splitter that had no longer available seals. I converted the measurements to metric and there were some close enough to work.
                dusty
                Driving that train, high on cocaine
                Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

The Super E/G accelerator pump cover check balls measure 3.56mm or 140 thou or (most common listed size for the same part) 9/64". Use stainless of course.
                  The little fuckers tend to escape and while you can order official balls for much more money they're dirt cheap for a lifetime supply online.

I just ordered twenty 9/64" for $6.41 via Amazon. A ten pack lists at $10.95 before shipping from S&S.

While we knew the Super E/G pump is a Keihin copy I never bothered to test fit. Seems V-factor sell a accel pump kit (with return spring and O-rings) that fits both Keihin and Super E/G so that should mean they swap which could come in handy for those who have both or need one quick for a customer.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;