Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OneLeggedBiker
    • Aug 2017

89 Kaw. EN450 Rear Fender Paint Issues

So, I've been bobbing my buddy's 1989 Kawasaki EN450 and I'm just about done with the entire mock up. In fact the only piece left to build is the seat pan which I already made a template for.

My question has to do with painting the stock plastic fender. I chopped the fender down and removed the mudguard/plate bracket. I am utilizing the original tail light and and tail light mount. With that being said, we're not building a shiny painted from the frame up bike... think more like Rat.

My question... Does anyone know the type of plastic used for the original rear fender? I've done a burn test and plan to do a liquid test tomorrow. I believe it's a polycarbonate abs (pc-abs) but want to get it right so the paint doesn't flake off. I don't want to have to go back and start over. If it matters we are just going to rattle can it. Anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance for any help!

P.S. Here's a few pics of the build progress.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	1343587

Name:	2.jpg
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	1343588

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	1343589

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	1343590

Name:	5.jpg
Size:	316.3 KB
ID:	1343591
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

It doesn't matter what it's made of sand it and paint it....

Comment

• DoomBuggy
      • Oct 2016

Rustolium primer will stick to damn near anything that is sanded with a 120 paper. Having said that, some of those poly plastics are slick as weasel snot and nothing will stick long term.

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
        Rustolium primer will stick to damn near anything that is sanded with a 120 paper. Having said that, some of those poly plastics are slick as weasel snot and nothing will stick long term.
        Yep they can be slick but I have never had any problems with paint sticking to anything if it's prepared correctly....

But I'm sure you know that...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
        Working...
        ;