CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default 1979 vin to engine number confusion

From what I've researched online, im positive these are supposed to somewhat match. however i cannot get any details one engine lower numbers. any inputs?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pulse-image.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	87150

Name:	559592bcd0d704fccffced8b337991d6eef563c2-1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	87151

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

The motor has been re stamped and not from the factory.......

son of a... any way of knowing wtf they mean?

Get Adobe Flash player

The motor has been re stamped and not from the factory.......
    Like he^^ said:

Harley Davidson VIN Information

This information is a combination of years of experience plus information available on the internet. There are a few sites out there with much more detailed VIN info, this is just a guide to get you started.

1970 - 1980***:
    Example - 1A 123456 H8

Numbers on both frame and engine. These numbers will match exactly if the bike is all original (with the exception of some 1979 models, see below).
    First two digits are model code.

Your frame looks like it starts with 5E;if so: 5E = FXEF-1200

Third through seventh numbers are the production numbers (always five numbers over 10000
    last two digits are the year code

H9 = 1979

1979***:

Some 1979 engines had totally different numbers. This was a factory idea that was quickly changed after they were notified that it made the bikes look stolen to some law enforcement agencies. The production date range is 1/9/79 - 2/7/79, and the frame VINs affected are or should be 43000H9 through 48199H9. The "crankcase number" is reported to be a ten digit numeric ID.

https://www.terry-zone.com/tech/vin.php

1970-1980:

From 1970 to 1980 the VIN number could be found on both the frame and the engine and would match exactly with the exception of a few months in 1979 which was due to an idea by the factory to make them different. The idea was quickly killed after law enforcement notified Harley-Davidson that it made the bikes look stolen. The production date range was from 1/9/1979 to 2/7/1979. The VIN numbers affected are 43000H9 through 48199H9. The engine numbers where 10 digit numerical IDs.
    Example:
    Model Production Number Year
    2A 10859 H4
    https://www.tabperformance.com/harle...uide-s/224.htm

See more from this protected page for the affected 1979 range:
    https://www.techsweb.us/hdvin7080.html

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't think that number been altered...
    Do think it may be the factory's one year gig with going nuts with their number system....

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Dragstews View Post
    I don't think that number been altered...
    Do think it may be the factory's one year gig with going nuts with their number system....
    Cool, What do the numbers say that the motor came out of? I've never seen them before..... That doesn't mean they did or didn't do it, I've just never seen them before...
    Last edited by Tattooo; 09-09-2018 at 8:45 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

id be curious as well, my engine numbers (supposedly a 1979) are fucked up as well. i just assumed it was a restamp but i have read the 1979 vin number changed and got fucky. i dont have the pic on hand but i can try to take one later to compare....

yea i figured out easily how to decode the frame, but i guess ill have to go to a shop prior to getting my engine rebuild kit due to this being a basket case.

also the first number is a 6 after having two people stare at it.. in the picture it looks like a 5. so its a FXEF-80 1979.

Get Adobe Flash player

The engine numbers look good for an early '79 build like mentioned in the earlier post. I've got an original motor & frame FLH with the same crazy engine numbers...only a few off from yours.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a 79 FXS and my numbers aren't fucked up looking like that...

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooo View Post
    I have a 79 FXS and my numbers aren't fucked up looking like that...
    It must be outside the one month that was affected:

The production date range is 1/9/79 - 2/7/79, and the frame VINs affected are, or should be, 43000H9 through 48199H9.

Get Adobe Flash player

49999h9 is close, I wonder if it was and engine that was hanging around and got used up and the end of an inventory cycle?

Quote Originally Posted by TriNortchopz View Post
    It must be outside the one month that was affected:

The production date range is 1/9/79 - 2/7/79, and the frame VINs affected are, or should be, 43000H9 through 48199H9.

i read that too from a site. when i saw the 9999. basically though i got random stuff for the end of the year. going to do more research after im done w/ the frame to match up the engine to appropriate rebuild kit/engine parts

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by FatChibs View Post
    [ i think
    I agree with you and I'm not going to say why ....
    Last edited by Tattooo; 09-10-2018 at 8:32 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah hahah.

I just acquired a rolling basket this last summer and it falls within the month of non-matching VIN/EIN. Based on what I've read, my numbers have raised a few questions. VIN 7G488**H9 should be past the range of the non-matching bikes but my engine makes it a bit confusing. EIN 1479023*** is an 80 inch; 1979; built on 23rd day (1/23/79). That is from the date range that should be non-matching but the VIN production number is supposedly after the the non-matching bikes were done. The stamping seems to be factory as well.

https://www.tabperformance.com/harle...uide-s/224.htm
    "From 1970 to 1980 the VIN number could be found on both the frame and the engine and would match exactly with the exception of a few months in 1979 which was due to an idea by the factory to make them different. The idea was quickly killed after law enforcement notified Harley-Davidson that it made the bikes look stolen. The production date range was from 1/9/1979 to 2/7/1979. The VIN numbers affected are 43000H9 through 48199H9. The engine numbers where 10 digit numerical IDs."

Name:	EIN.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	283.4 KB 
ID:	90532Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VIN.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	295.9 KB 
ID:	90533

On top of that, I ended up with a cowpie tx that supposedly came out late '79 on a January production bike.

Considering the bike was produced 40 years ago, there could be all sorts of mixing of parts. The tx definitely could fall under that category. The engine though came from that one month the numbers weren't matching. To think that it was mated to a later chassis seems unlikely. I've not found much ambiguity regarding the affected production dates/numbers so I don't assume there was an error in the production number range but that could explain it.

All that is to say, I have no paperwork and am trying to determine if I have an original engine/tx knowing it could never be "numbers matching"?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by sauerdeauxtieroh View Post
    All that is to say, I have no paperwork and am trying to determine if I have an original engine/tx knowing it could never be "numbers matching"?

It looks like an original Harley motor to me.....

Get Adobe Flash player

I have 2 1979 bikes (an fxs and flh) and nether of them have these weird number variances. The motors match the necks. On the fxs there is also a sticker on the frame with the vin on it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Come on guys, this one ain't even a little bit mysterious.
    In 1981, HD adopted the 17 (I think ) digit federal gov't mandated vehicle serial number system. That number appears stamped on the headstock of the frame, and on a stamped or printed tag affixed to the downleg of the frame.
    An abbreviated version of that number appears on the motor case. From '81 up, all HD vehicles are numbered this way.

So, this number on this motor case is easy. The motor, or at least the cases, came originally on an '82 FXB. It is or was an 80cu.in. motor.

Jim

Default 1979 shovelhead exception

Quote Originally Posted by RalphFonz View Post
    From what I've researched online, im positive these are supposed to somewhat match. however i cannot get any details one engine lower numbers. any inputs?

Name:	pulse-image.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	87150

Name:	559592bcd0d704fccffced8b337991d6eef563c2-1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	87151
    In 1979 for 3 months hd stamped the lowrider with different numbers on frame and motor. I call these ghost bikes. I have 1. Everyone seems to think numbers have been changed but they have not.
    It is referred to as the 1979 exception. Which hd corrected after 3 months once all the confusion started.alot of these shovels which by the way are 80" motors have been destroyed because of this confusion. I think they will end up being rare and worth alot as many are no longer around.

Share This