CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Shovel primary belt tension/alinement

Hey guys, I think my belt is too tight and am having trouble finding the proper tension and instructions for adjustment. Also, the belt barely rides the clutch hub and starting to show some wear.

Iíve done a bit of searching and havenít really found a definite answer. Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA6EAE67-0FF0-4138-A223-A9448FA47300.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	164.6 KB 
ID:	86046Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DB3C29C4-AD1F-470C-9971-2D388215CE52.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	86048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C052950A-FB59-4E7D-9788-819EF20DD183.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	86049
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EF3D2A5E-EB13-4E4B-A583-2000FC2D866B.jpg   94A8900B-8114-45DD-BE53-A9DCA0E856C8.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Name:	6FB57A1E-3F4B-4852-BD89-B4D1E0DE23C0.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	127.7 KB 
ID:	86050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7E35B98E-9B05-498F-ADC9-0BC48B106655.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	86051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E0E7BEB7-8D5D-4D29-9280-66967BE4BA49.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	86052

Get Adobe Flash player

Name:	13361969-9337-4D1B-936E-973A40A630FD.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	86053Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D08AF904-2488-4260-9D0F-D143DF7AC6E2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	86054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F29C40DB-EE0A-45D3-A02C-434F086A19C6.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	154.6 KB 
ID:	86055

Get Adobe Flash player

You think it's to tight??? I think it's to loose if you can roll it like that....

Cool looking bike, not my style but you have a lot of work in it and it shows...... Very nice........

Get Adobe Flash player

First off, do you know who made the belt drive unit? If so, go to the manufacturers site and there should be info. or an installation manual available for download which will tell you how much slack you should have. Secondly, it looks like your pulleys might be misaligned. Run a straight edge along the rear pulley where the outside of the belt runs. Run it to where the front pulley runs. The outside of the front pulley should be aligned with the straight edge. It looks like your clutch basket is in further than your front pulley, so you will most likely need to offset the transmission with a new plate. If I remember right,there are a couple of companies that make offset transmission plates. If your engine and transmission isn't aligned properly, you will never be able to get the tension correct. Hope this helps, good luck.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by WillSCB View Post
    First off, do you know who made the belt drive unit? If so, go to the manufacturers site and there should be info. or an installation manual available for download which will tell you how much slack you should have. Secondly, it looks like your pulleys might be misaligned. Run a straight edge along the rear pulley where the outside of the belt runs. Run it to where the front pulley runs. The outside of the front pulley should be aligned with the straight edge. It looks like your clutch basket is in further than your front pulley, so you will most likely need to offset the transmission with a new plate. If I remember right,there are a couple of companies that make offset transmission plates. If your engine and transmission isn't aligned properly, you will never be able to get the tension correct. Hope this helps, good luck.
    Yep this. Looks like its cocked and not aligned.

I just went through this with my BDL setup after I snapped a belt due to worn out pulleys and or running it way too tight. Now, according to them to set the tension you install the stock inner primary bolt the engine/tranny down and remove the primary and the tension is set. Well I like many others didnt have an inner primary so I emailed them and they replied as follows.

with the engine cold they recommend 1/2 to 5/8 inches of play up and down and hot they said 1/8 to 3/16 inches

get the alignment sorted first or that belt will blow off there in no time

hope this helps

Get Adobe Flash player

My question on changing over to a belt primary set up.
    What do you do to provide lubrication to the clutch hub bearing and the main shaft bearing?
    I understand there are sealed bearing that can be used, but what about for a Shovelhead clutch hub?
    I want to run one, but believe, the hub bearing needs to be packed, and this is a regular pm like changing engine oil.
    Appreciate any comments as my concern is on a Shovelhead type.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
    My question on changing over to a belt primary set up.
    What do you do to provide lubrication to the clutch hub bearing and the main shaft bearing?
    I understand there are sealed bearing that can be used, but what about for a Shovelhead clutch hub?
    I want to run one, but believe, the hub bearing needs to be packed, and this is a regular pm like changing engine oil.
    Appreciate any comments as my concern is on a Shovelhead type.
    You run bearing grease not oil.... It's been done for years with zero problems... The main shaft gets trans oil...

Share This