Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hardleyableson1996
    • Sep 2016

Tire question please help

Was wondering if I could fit a 170/80-15 tire on a rim that normally takes a 140/80-15 tire from the factory and if so what size tube to run etc etc..
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by hardleyableson1996
    Was wondering if I could fit a 170/80-15 tire on a rim that normally takes a 140/80-15 tire from the factory and if so what size tube to run etc etc..
    I really doubt it, If you could I bet you will pinch your tube.... But with that said how wide is your rim???

Comment

• hardleyableson1996
      • Sep 2016

Its a Suzuki Savage rear wheel which I believe is a 2.75-15

Comment

• hardleyableson1996
        • Sep 2016

And why would it pinch the tube?

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

And why would it pinch the tube?
          It wouldn't, you would because there isn't any room for such a wide tire on such a tiny wheel....

Don't believe me try it...
          Last edited by Tattooo; 08-13-2018, 4:03 PM.

Comment

• hardleyableson1996
            • Sep 2016

No I believe you,what about lacing a 16 inch rim to the rear hub and doing it that way I'm trying to run one of those vintage Firestone tires on there

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

No I believe you,what about lacing a 16 inch rim to the rear hub and doing it that way I'm trying to run one of those vintage Firestone tires on there
              A 16 will work, I really like a 15 but it will need to be a wider rim... Is that big of a tire going to fit under your fender and between the frame?? is it stock.???

Comment

• hardleyableson1996
                • Sep 2016

Even a shinko 240 classic 130/90-16 would look suitable to me,and I've seen guys cut out a section of the swingarm for a wider bigger tire then weld it up and reinforce it,what would be the width(rim wide size) needed to run a shinko 240

Comment

• hardleyableson1996
                  • Sep 2016

Or could you recommend me a good classic sawtooth style 15 inch wheel?just feel like the stance looks weird to me

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Or could you recommend me a good classic sawtooth style 15 inch wheel?just feel like the stance looks weird to me
                    Man I have no idea.... Can you post pics of your bike??? That would help a lot...

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                      • Dec 2017

No.

140/80-15 tire: 2.75-3.75 inch rim
                      170/80-15 tire: 4.25-5.50 inch rim

Tire/Wheel Fitment
                      Use this table to determine the tire size that can fit your rim.
                      Use this table to determine the tire size that can fit your rim. Front Wheel 16" Tire Size Rim (inch) 110/90-16 2.15 - 3.00 120/80-16 2.50 - 3.00 130/70-16 3.50 - 4.00 130/90-16 2.50 - 3.50 150/80-16 3.00 - 4.00 17" Tire Size Rim (inch) 110/70-17 3.00 - 3.50 110/80-17 2.15 - 3.00 120/60-17 3.50 - 3.75 120/70-17 2.75 -

Rim to Tyre applications

Rim to Tire Applications
                      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

^^^^ Thank you Tri^^^^^^

I know you would have the definitive answer.....

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                          • Dec 2017

Even a shinko 240 classic 130/90-16 would look suitable to me,and I've seen guys cut out a section of the swingarm for a wider bigger tire then weld it up and reinforce it,what would be the width(rim wide size) needed to run a shinko 240

Have you seen this 2011 thread on suzukisavage.com(com' on say you did): Tires

"Would 170/80-15 fit my 95's rear wheel?"

answers include:
                          "...anything bigger than a 160 tire rubbed on the belt"

"I have 160/80R15 on 4'' rim. Initially it rubbed everywhere, so - I needed 4mm spacers on both pulleys, fender had to go, of course, and it still rubbed on rear bolt on muffler bracket. It was kinda hard to see at first, but I had to cut it shorter. Spacers on pulley made the belt cover obsolete too (didn't fit). It had to go.
                          Anyhow, besides those few required mods, there's still some space left, right and in front of the tire, however... Not much. I will not go wider."

SuzukiSavage.com : - Apparel Decals The Elite Technical Performance Parts suzuki, savage, ls650, s40, motorcycle, suzuki savage, ecommerce, open source, shop, online shopping

Here is a link to see his bike (from that thread^^):
                          SuzukiSavage.com : - Apparel Decals The Elite Technical Performance Parts suzuki, savage, ls650, s40, motorcycle, suzuki savage, ecommerce, open source, shop, online shopping

and
                          this 2005 thread: Wide tires
                          "Has any one fitted a 150 in the back of the savage..."
                          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Luky
                            • May 2018

No that will not work.
                            The stock tire size was a 140mm but most stock rims can accommodate a little larger tire.
                            You have to find out the rim width, which is usually stamped on the rim. If it is not stamped then measure the inside width of the metal wheel rim. THEN you can find out the largest tire size allowable.
                            You must have facts.

When mounting a tire and tube you must use tire spoons or you will pinch a tube and it will leak air.
                            Screw drivers will not work.

In the bottom link of that post above provided by (Trinortchopz), it says B means belted. That is wrong. B means bias ply. R is for radial.
                            Last edited by Luky; 08-20-2018, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by luky
                              no that will not work.
                              The stock tire size was a 140mm but most stock rims can accommodate a little larger tire.
                              You have to find out the rim width, which is usually stamped on the rim. If it is not stamped then measure the inside width of the metal wheel rim. Then you can find out the largest tire size allowable.
                              You must have facts.

When mounting a tire and tube you must use tire spoons or you will pinch a tube and it will leak air.
                              Screw drivers will not work.
                              lol............

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;