Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sportsterboone
    • Jan 2017

Petcock hitting top of carb

Bikes an 2003 sportster. Got a new 2.5 frisco tank and switched petcock over to right side but wouldn’t fit with carb. Bought a 90 degree petcock and still hits top of carb... ended up getting a tank lift but hate how it looks and rear of tank hitting frame causing vibrations (which will cause a crack eventually) so I’m stumped 🤔 any ideas? Thanks
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Relocate the petcock bung to where petcock won't hit. Buy new bung, weld in place.

If it's a male thread bung, cut off the other two and plate over. If it's female thread, plug the other two for convenience. Bonus for using stainless plugs if female bungs are pipe thread.

Comment

• ChopperDani
      • Apr 2016

is it not possible to slide the mounts of the tank forward, or will your bars touch. maybe some pictures. what kind of petcock? a oem style but 90degrees? what about a much smaller one, lower profile

Comment

• Beefdrippings
        • Sep 2009

would the 90 degree Petcock adapter from Prism Supply work?

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

That fitting from Prism is a generic 1/4" NPT "street ell" which means any non-shit hardware store will have them in brass or you can (I would) get one in stainless steel. Brass plumbing fittings are delicate and look ghetto on vehicles.

Not mine but the price is much nicer than 16.99 for a generic brass one!

Your local industrial hydraulic shop may have them too.

EDIT, you can find 45-degree street ells if that seems better.
          Last edited by farmall; 07-30-2018, 5:40 PM.

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

What about a pic of your problem???

Comment

• Evochop13
              • Jul 2018

Id weld a bung on the left side of the tank, that’s where petcocks belong anyways in my opinion

Comment

• xMPRx
                • Jun 2013

agree pictures would really help. since you went with a custom tank there might be some custom work needed to make it work.

Comment

• industrialmarshmallow
                  • Aug 2017

My '95 Sporty came with a crappy aftermarket fatbob "style" tank in the box of shit that came with it. I sold it and bought the first Sporty tank I saw on CL. Like a dumbass, I didn't even notice it was right side petcock (or that it was full of rust, whole 'nother story). I didn't have a petcock, but by mocking up the carb and tank I knew it was going to be a tight squeeze. I looked at a bunch of petcocks online before deciding that a Golan looked like it would give me the clearance I needed. It cleared the carb (CV) but I had to clock it just right so the selector lever didn't hit the throttle cable when in the reserve position.

It was also pretty tight against the VOES connections, but I think it'll work. I used a narrow fuel line which helped.

20180706_202100 by David Arens, on Flickr

20180722_222421 by David Arens, on Flickr

Comment

• Dragstews
                    • Sep 2010

Manufacturer and distributor of high performance motorcycle parts and accessories for street and drag. Find fuel valves (petcocks), wheel chocks, air shifters, all electric shifter kits, wheelie bars and more here. Products for Yamaha, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda available.
                    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• SamHain
                      • Apr 2024

Originally posted by industrialmarshmallow
                      My '95 Sporty came with a crappy aftermarket fatbob "style" tank in the box of shit that came with it. I sold it and bought the first Sporty tank I saw on CL. Like a dumbass, I didn't even notice it was right side petcock (or that it was full of rust, whole 'nother story). I didn't have a petcock, but by mocking up the carb and tank I knew it was going to be a tight squeeze. I looked at a bunch of petcocks online before deciding that a Golan looked like it would give me the clearance I needed. It cleared the carb (CV) but I had to clock it just right so the selector lever didn't hit the throttle cable when in the reserve position.

It was also pretty tight against the VOES connections, but I think it'll work. I used a narrow fuel line which helped.

20180706_202100 by David Arens, on Flickr

20180722_222421 by David Arens, on Flickr
                      They’re bad to the bone too. I always run em.

Comment

• ChopperDani
                        • Apr 2016

NO FILTER? or is this brand have the screen filter in tank? im googling it now lol, very interested in this product

Yulp, i searched it. a hefty hunna bucks, but it screws on the oem petcock bung and uses the oem style screen filter.
                        Last edited by ChopperDani; 08-08-2018, 7:36 AM. Reason: searched product for more info

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;