Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDD
    • Apr 2015

Girder front end expert required...

Anyone can help me with geometry for a girder front end. I always planned to have a set of girders but now I’m getting a few bits together I’m questioning wheel sizes etc I chose to go with the frame size and clearance sizes.
    Main question is do I have enough clearance as the girder strokes up to run a 21” front ( see frame dimensions in pic.
    Cheers anyone....
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0461.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	1343453
  • Luky
    • May 2018

Originally posted by JDD
    Anyone can help me with geometry for a girder front end. I always planned to have a set of girders but now I’m getting a few bits together I’m questioning wheel sizes etc I chose to go with the frame size and clearance sizes.
    Main question is do I have enough clearance as the girder strokes up to run a 21” front ( see frame dimensions in pic.
    Cheers anyone....
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]86106[/ATTACH]
    Make sure the tires are on the wheels before taking measurements!
    Tire OD can vary as much as 1 inch.
    Contact the makers of the forks FIRST to make sure the measurement of the frame to ground is
    from the bottom of the bearing cups or bottom of frame.

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
      • Apr 2012

I have some copies of the old Jammer chopper guide vols 1-2-3 etc etc.. and they posted some cool tech on proper brake mounting and setting up a wheel on springers and girders, but there is a page also for various types of fork lengths which is somewhat helpful, but still hard to tell until you try.
      Im sure TNC will be along with some cut and paste and reams of info which would be helpful, but if he cant find an online version I can scan some pages of the Jammer chop guide.

I have several Girders and springers in the shop. Didnt get around to it last week and temps are currently in the high 90s and pushing 100 deg F so we shall see how that goes, but I was going to post a whole series of photos on chop frames and geometry in the tech section of this board. "Reference standard Chopper frames"...

I could snap some photos if you like with some of those front ends on a frame or two and post measurements. I have some sweet frames,, one is a Santee, a Paughco and some others.

In the interim, can NEVER go wrong with this guys excellent webpage with TONS of tech, One of the best resources on the web!
      See: http://www.chopperhandbook.com/rake.htm

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

What is the horizontal distance between the centre of the front axle and the bottom of the frame neck (at 25.4"high)?
        what is the amount of offset(horizontal measure) from the front axle to a centerline drawn through the neck (at 30*)?
        Save me doing calcs using the old sine law(a/sineA=b/sineB=c/sineC) and a2+b2=c2

From your research, have you determined the amount of offset from the center of the neck to the center of the front girder linkage pivots? Were you considering a built in adjustable rake?

Just a good pic from the CBH:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	8023c38ec60e96dc4a4baf354418f471--geometry-bike-frame.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1304249
        (cause ya always need a picture)

Guessin' you already read these:

2012 Thread: Building a girder...suggestions please
        Im building a girder for my bobber. I wanted some feedback from you guys that have them on if i should run a coil over or just a spring. I was thinking somewhere around a spring rate of 200lbs to start with. Or is there anywhere that sells them? Im designing mine off one that is my friends triumph (It is just a spring) Thanks

2011 Thread: Girder Plans
        I have a crazy thought that I can build a girder for my bike. Anyone have any plans? I'm looking for something along the lines of the one here: http://brewracingframes.com/id81.htm Thanks for any/all help. C

(some great links in here)

2016 Thread: Girder forks
        Setting up an ironhead chop. 40 degree rake, 2 up and 2 1/2 out. 10 over girder. Any of you garage engineers have opinions on the optimal angle for the rockers to be at to get the best ride??

2013 Thread: Picture Thread: Girder Front Ends
        Lets see em. Im startin to feel a hankerin fer a girrder so lets compile a thread of some of the best lookin girder front bikes out there, with a little bit of tech in there. How do they handle? When building one prefer tube or solid stock for the legs? Headlight mounting options? This is big for me it seems the only

ChopCult news blogspot: Voodoo Vintage fabrication girder front end
        Voodoo Vintage Fabrication Girder Front End – RELIC There are so many innovations on this puppy it's freaking crazy! Not satisfied wit...

I haven't got to your original question for geometry yet...
        Last edited by TriNortchopz; 07-31-2018, 1:03 AM. Reason: added CC picture thread
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• 53Bash
          • Jan 2013

Easiest way to know for sure is draw up an accurate diagram or make a full scale mock up from wood / cardboard / foam. At a guess I'd say yes assuming your wheel position is accurate, the girder has about 4" trail etc... but its really just a guess given all the unknowns.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;