CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Need some advice getting off a stick compensator nut

Got an Ď82 shovelhead the compensator nut is pretty thrashed, even before I tried to remove it. I got the JIMís 4 speed tool I to lock it up but I have had no luck removing this thing. Anyone got some advice?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4A7B2B5A-95E3-46D2-8461-9A17294142F4.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	86024

Get Adobe Flash player

Heat

Get Adobe Flash player

Use a SIX point socket with the chamfer removed, so you can reach good nut surfaces with the socket flats.

This works for any shallow nut:

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showth...412#post795412

A four foot pipe on the end of a good breaker bar helps a lot. More leverage means better control. If you have another person one can hold the socket on the nut while the other turns the breaker bar.

Before I got a CO2 cylinder for heavy impact gun use I once trailered a Shovel to an 18-wheeler mechanic who had a serious compressor and gun.

While you are there, inspect the alternator rotor for magnet shift. The glue fails and the magnets move "sideways". Next step is they come off and eat the stator. Also inspect the stator connection as they tend to get oil in them and the pins overheat and burn. I replace the alternator/stator/regulator when I get a keeper Shovel or older Evo.
    Last edited by farmall; 07-28-2018 at 3:53 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Use a SIX point socket with the chamfer removed, so you can reach good nut surfaces with the socket flats.

This works for any shallow nut:

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showth...412#post795412

A four foot pipe on the end of a good breaker bar helps a lot. More leverage means better control. If you have another person one can hold the socket on the nut while the other turns the breaker bar.

Before I got a CO2 cylinder for heavy impact gun use I once trailered a Shovel to an 18-wheeler mechanic who had a serious compressor and gun.

While you are there, inspect the alternator rotor for magnet shift. The glue fails and the magnets move "sideways". Next step is they come off and eat the stator. Also inspect the stator connection as they tend to get oil in them and the pins overheat and burn. I replace the alternator/stator/regulator when I get a keeper Shovel or older Evo.

Thank You! I will take my socket to work with me Monday and grind it down.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by corrosiontrav13 View Post
    Thank You! I will take my socket to work with me Monday and grind it down.
    You could also lightly hand-file the flats on the nut - just enough to knock the raised parts off, to help your ground down socket fit better.

Share This