Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Might call that one weird ....

Must of been a repair of the worn camshaft case bore ....
    Nothing to be concern about, looks like it was done by a pro ...
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• babysfirstbike86
      • Jul 2018

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191107_103258.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	293.7 KB
ID:	1314012

Noticed some weird webbing, went in with a long q tip and this metallic muck chunked off. Crappy paint? Came from inside the fins there...
      Also, should the red paint stuff inside be coming off?? I feel real dumb right now.

Name:	20191107_103526.jpg
Size:	301.7 KB
ID:	1314013
      Attached Files
      Last edited by babysfirstbike86; 11-07-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
        • Sep 2010

Tear it all the way down ....
        Yo're going to find more of that in the flywheel cavity .. !!

Comment

• babysfirstbike86
          • Jul 2018

Is this thing on?
          Was gone, am back.

Anybody have suggestions for paint stripper available in CA? I picked up that kleen strip aircraft junk and all it does is fog the paint. Can't find the Ultra version anywhere and can't get it shipped... looks like it'll work if I can get my handles on it.

Hope you all are good. I got locked out of my account forever.Click image for larger version

Name:	20220312_133435.jpg
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	1322306

Comment

• ExplodingCoffinEmporium
            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by babysfirstbike86
            Is this thing on?
            Was gone, am back.

Anybody have suggestions for paint stripper available in CA? I picked up that kleen strip aircraft junk and all it does is fog the paint. Can't find the Ultra version anywhere and can't get it shipped... looks like it'll work if I can get my handles on it.

Hope you all are good. I got locked out of my account forever.[ATTACH=CONFIG]108330[/ATTACH]
            Aircraft stripper works but takes a lot of elbow grease and time, at least all the off the shelf shit I’ve ever used. Why not just get it sand blasted or soda blasted, small piece and shouldn’t take much time, cheap as well.

Comment

• babysfirstbike86
              • Jul 2018

I'll have the inside done, I just kinda wanted to use my elbows a little. Don't know about soda blasting though! I'll look into it. Thanks!
              Christa

Comment

• CDeeZ
                • Oct 2019

Mechanical stripping is the way to go IMO.

Do you have a 4.5" angle grinder? What about an air compressor with a right angle die grinder? Either opens up good options for using things like flap discs, roloc attachemnts etc...

Sandpaper stype roloc disc:

Bristle roloc disc:

Scotch brite "conditioning" roloc discs:

Flap disc for angle grinder:

Bristle disc in action:

Some of ^^^these^^^ options are more aggressive than others so depending on which method is employed, a steady hand and a judicious eye will be necessary to keep from gouging the metal. Even then, depending on what level of finish is desired, a nice skim coat of quality body filler and/or high build primer will easily cover up any imperfections in the metal.

As for the inside............ Make certain to wash it out really good with soap and water even if it hasn't had gas in it in years. Then, throw a few fistfulls of nuts and bolts inside the tank. Put the cap on and wrap the tank with several layers of thick masking tape. Next, wrap the tank in a very heavy blanket, like a moving blanket. Wrap the blanket with lots of tape to keep it around the tank. Finally, put the tank in a clothes dryer; turn the dryer on TUMBLE- *NO HEAT*.......... Doing this, I have removed extremely stubborn tank liner and rust from tanks where things like MEK and other caustic solvents did nothing at all........ Done this way, it leaves no dents in the tank whatsoever. But it MUST be wrapped in something heavy to protect it and absorb all the shock of banging around in the dryer.

If you do all the prep work correctly, it is effective and safe. Cut corners or skip steps, you'll put dents in the tank, or worse, blow up your dryer/yourself.

Also, I'm personally not a fan of tank liner. Keep gas in the tank and you won't need it. Tank liner is a great idea, in theory. Great until it starts sloughing off and ends up your fuel system.
                Last edited by CDeeZ; 04-22-2022, 2:28 AM.

Comment

• DustyDave
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Try some DOT 3 brake fluid. A saturated rag left on the paint over night gets most paints. If it isn't coming off the next day it isn't gonna.
                  Dusty
                  Driving that train, high on cocaine
                  Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                  Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                  And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• babysfirstbike86
                    • Jul 2018

Oh! Thanks! Definitely haven't heard that one but I just did brakes and have dot 3 on hand!

I just gave the tanks a good sanding (by hand) hoping that whatever solvent I try next gets a better bite.

I don't have an angle grinder but now I'm checking used tools... I also ordered a small sized orbital sander and that was junk so I sent it back. The mounting plate and holes for the sandpaper gouged the paint so bad I was glad I was nowhere near metal. I don't want to spend more time finding and buying a good quality power tool than I actually spend stripping the tanks! I do like the look of those little handheld belt sanders, though.

Thanks!
                    Christa

Comment

• Dragstews
                      • Sep 2010

It's time to dive in ...

Name:	278850566_2103084613201047_8852488083016613328_n.jpg
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	1322309

Get your checkbook out ..

This one is bad-ass ..

I'm saving up for one .. !!
                      Last edited by Dragstews; 04-22-2022, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• babysfirstbike86
                        • Jul 2018

Hah! No thanks. Definitely what I'm trying to avoid.

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

You can do it by hand ...

Get ya a few 6-packs ..
                          It will take a while !!

Last edited by Dragstews; 04-22-2022, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                            • Oct 2016

I applaud your dedication to doing it yourself, but my dear ol' dad used to say Work Smarter, not harder. Find the tools / supplies to make yourself more efficient. Harbor Freight may be cheap shit tools, but in a pinch it can get you through the job. I am a huge fan of an angle grinder and various flap paper.

Comment

• CDeeZ
                              • Oct 2019

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
                              I applaud your dedication to doing it yourself, but my dear ol' dad used to say Work Smarter, not harder. Find the tools / supplies to make yourself more efficient. Harbor Freight may be cheap shit tools, but in a pinch it can get you through the job. I am a huge fan of an angle grinder and various flap paper.
                              Man..... I'm all for American and high quality tools. And I've collected a fair few by now, mostly from swap meet and yard sale scores. But, HF has really stepped their game up. I have some HF ratchets that are more precise and smooth feeling than some similar Snap-On ratchets that I have owned since new. The HF ratchets are objectively superior in every way. They also take much less swing arc to actually spin the detents on the ratchet mechanism as compared to the high dollar Snap-Ons. This is useful when trying to turn a bolt in tight quarters.

Also, I have some HF sockets which fit fasteners more precisely than some similar Snap-On sockets I have owned since new.

So, I personally have a diverse mixture of different brands and reputed quality level of tools. 20 years ago, most tools coming from HF were garbage. Not so anymore. Just stay AWAY from their jackstands LOL!!!

Comment

• Dragstews
                                • Sep 2010

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;