Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sidneyb
    • May 2022

73 shovel

Picked up a barn find 1973 fx 1200 super glide a month or so ago in jersey and starting the rebuild process today.

My goals for now are, in no order:

1. clean out & repaint tank which has no dents or leaks.

2. rebuild carb. its a super b. figure out if i should replace with super e?

3. Sell those wheels, replace with spokes.

4. rebuild engine and probably tranny. hopefully i can do the majority of this myself and find someone to true the flywheel & hone cylinders, and any other stuff I can't do.

5. Different handlebars, maybe apes but nothing too crazy, maybe 12-14″?

6. Different front end, not sure what style yet. I like springers but they're pricey.

7. Replace front & rear brake calipers — or if calipers are salvageable, just lines, master cylinders & pads?

8. Dyna electric ignition.

9 Sell fenders and get a smaller one for the rear. King cobra seat or something similar & sissy bar...? I should be able to make a sissy bar.

10. Fabricate a battery box and anything else thats easy.

11 Hardtail it. I got some tig welding lessons last year, practiced once or twice a week then got a tig welder with my tax refund a few months ago. So far I built a few projects (welding cart, welding table) and some other random stuff, but haven't worked on frames yet. I'd like to get a couple trash frames to practice on before I cut this one up. Or maybe I'll find someone to show me how its done whenever I get to that point. The videos I've watched make it look super doable but I'm nervous to attempt such a crucial thing that could fuck everything up including the bike and less importantly my safety & well-being.

12 open belt primary

It had been sitting since at least 2009 inside a barn in maryland according to the guy I bought it from, who's also going to give me the contact info of the previous owner so I can ask about its history. It’ll be 50 years old in 2023 so it’d be cool to get it running by some time next year.

This is my first shovelhead project. I’ve done some hondas before this and recently started a job working on newer harleys but nothing like this. I got the shop manual and have watched several hundred hours of shovelhead maintenance, rebuild & chop videos on the you tubes so I’m pretty stoked to finally start this thing. I hit like & subscribe on all of Pacific Mike's youtube videos and you should too if you're into watching an old head take apart harley engines while talking about his customers finding his dog's hair inside their bikes.

I took the tanks off today and filled em with vinegar. Saturday I’m going to shake some screws around inside and see if I can get rid of the rust.

I’m currently finishing up a cb750 restoration which has me rebuilding its top end. Pretty sick of it at this point but I've gotta finish it to get $ for the shovel. This project will prolly go slow til I finish the cb & get my workdesk free of honda parts.
    Attached Files
  • Dorkster11
    • Jun 2022

Looks like a good project! Do the motor and trans need a rebuild, or you just want to freshen it up regardless?

Comment

• sidneyb
      • May 2022

I looked in the spark plug holes and see oil, and that plus the exterior condition of the engine & knowing it was sitting for at least 13 years, if not more, made me assume it needs a rebuild. I'll do a compression test this weekend for curiosity's sake. For the trans, I'm not decided on it yet. I guess it'll depend on how the bench test goes once i get it out.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
      Working...
      ;