Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

BTW the front mag is a later replacement and of course can be kept if ya eventually go with a 39mm front end (the 2000-up style is the best way to get dual discs and modern brake choices). The rear fender looks like the kit HD sold (my FXLR came with one from a previous owner) and is also not stock.

Comment

• SaddleTramp98
      • Apr 2020

Originally posted by farmall
      The rear fender looks like the kit HD sold (my FXLR came with one from a previous owner) and is also not stock.
      Yeah the previous owner said the guy before him put the Fatbob style fender on, he just painted the bike and got it reliable and ran it. I like it. It's different than all the other club style FXR's. I'm gonna switch it up a little with the 2 into 1 though.

The Supertrapp with the tuneing plates comes in stainless steel so I think I'll go with that it's only around $650

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_190454.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1319213

Comment

• SaddleTramp98
        • Apr 2020

I'm having a hard time getting the bike to idle. I tried to get it started today and ran the battery dead trying. I could get it started with the choke and it will idle with full and half choke but its revving like it doesnt need choke.

Also I havent got to ride it much since buying it but it does good going down the road but when coming to a stop you've gotta feather the throttle to keep it going.

I looked and the carb is the stock Keihin butterfly. The idle/mixture screw on my carb is still plugged would that have anything to do with it? I have no clue what the jetting is either. I dont really want to rejet at the moment cause I'm switching to 2 into 1s anyway so I'll have to rejet anyway here soon just waiting a few weeks to order the exhaust.

Last thing the plugs that were in it were gapped at like .033 and pretty carbon fouled so I put in a new pair and gapped them to .040 based on what I've read they should be around .038-.043.

I dont wanna clog up the fxr thread with my questions so if I need to make a separate thread just let me know. I can probably figure it out on my own. I'm just new to big twin evos and I'd appreciate the help of anyone knows.

Edit: I took the float bowl off and theres lots of gunk in there, the main jet (it's a .170 main) had gunk around the hole, the whole outside of the carb is gunked up.

I'm gonna take the carb off tomorrow, and order some jets and a idle screw adjuster for the plugged screw. After some research I found the Andrew's accelerator pump kit probably get that also. Gonna get some .165 - .175 main jets and some .50 - .54 pilots to tune this thing in.

This was helpful If anyone ever has a problem with the stock Keihin Butterfly carb:

Exhaust System Topics - How To: Tuning a Keihin Butterfly Carb - I started riding motorcycles in 1973 and Harley’s the next year when I bought a new 1974 Harley Sportster (XLH) from Harley of Atlanta. Soon afterward I joined the military and found I couldn’t afford insurance on the bike anymore (required by my bank...
        Attached Files
        Last edited by SaddleTramp98; 07-16-2021, 1:05 AM.

Comment

• SaddleTramp98
          • Apr 2020

I cleaned my carb, and rejetted it, installed my new 2into1, and an air cleaner with a filter that doesnt get sucked into the carb.

Here's what its lookin like..

Name:	20210823_143258.jpg
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	1319594

Name:	20210823_143241.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	1319595

Next up is getting my mid peg stuff together so I can set it all up. I have the pegs, and a brake lever, I think all I need is a shifter, a master cylinder that will fit with my exhaust bracket in the way, and some linkages. These forwards suck.

Comment

• Hoghead
            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by SaddleTramp98
            I cleaned my carb, and rejetted it, installed my new 2into1, and an air cleaner with a filter that doesnt get sucked into the carb.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104906[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104907[/ATTACH]

Next up is getting my mid peg stuff together so I can set it all up. I have the pegs, and a brake lever, I think all I need is a shifter, a master cylinder that will fit with my exhaust bracket in the way, and some linkages. These forwards suck.
            Looking good, I prefer mids too. I didn't initially catch your question on the exhaust I run but I have an elderly Vance and Hines 2-1. This works well with my screaming eagle pumper carb, branch heads, crane cam and electronic ignition.

I initially upgraded to a single floating disc with a GMA caliper, good, but it ate pads. I currently use an English made Harrison 4 pot, I preferred the feel of the GMA though. Dual discs is where it's at tho', my RMD below stops like it hit a wall.

Name:	rmdi.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	1319604
            Last edited by Hoghead; 08-24-2021, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• 1954bmw
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by SaddleTramp98

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104906[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104907[/ATTACH]

Like the way the pipes have goldened up to match the tins

Comment

• captseadog
                • Oct 2015

Just picked up a completely stock 84 fxrt and have a few questions for you fxr experts. I have said the bike is all stock right down to the keys and I really don’t want to change much on the bike, but after putting about 1,000 miles on it I’m finding I hate the bars and pegs. I have an idea of what I want to do for bars, same size just straight across instead of any pullback. I have a hard time bending my left wrist at the angle the stock bars sit and have found straight hands to be the most comfortable for me. My question is in the pegs, more importantly the right side peg. I have found the brake lever to be too close to the mid mount peg so my boot doesn’t fit under the brake lever like I’m accustomed to so I keep my foot at angle because the stock peg is so short. Does anyone else have this problem and if so how did you solve it? I doesn’t look like I can raise the lever enough, or even at all, to get my foot under comfortably. Thinking of wider pegs or maybe a floorboard style? Here is a photo of the bike, hopefully I can post it correctly, I never seem to be able to

Name:	C6C3A886-0F2D-4FCC-A8B7-0C6D7DEB276E.jpg
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	1320334
                Attached Files

Comment

• xMPRx
                  • Jun 2013

little side cover I made for the FXR.

Name:	0DDBB445-A1E0-418D-8ADF-DD97BEAD58E6_1_201_a.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1321265

Name:	91647E40-ABE3-4763-B774-524FF99D85DF.jpg
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1321266

Comment

• misfitJason
                    • Sep 2009

So, my buddy bought a 1989 FXR. He asks if I can put an exhaust on and mid controls for him. He tells me that the shift shaft is still in the primary. No problem I tell him. Drop it off.

Well, the entire primary has to come apart because the shift shaft isn’t in there, and he has a terrible rocker box leak making everything covered in oil. Looks like it will be here for awhile. Luckily he has plenary of money to buy nice stuff.

He has a new Hassan I stainless 2-1, and a full set of mids waiting here. I’ll keep posting more as I finish
                    9613-BFCF-3-FAE-4-CDA-BE23-3-E96-CFDB788-C

9-DA53491-805-C-444-A-A2-E5-8-C1-E0-B8-C408-D

A0174-BD2-FECD-4-E9-D-8-F14-22-BE0406-FD7-A

EBF6-B4-F1-1-AA0-49-AD-A021-9-AF110-DD2575

EDB1215-D-55-AB-494-A-90-E5-A5-EAA4395-AC1

Comment

• misfitJason
                      • Sep 2009

Here are some more pics. This thing has a bad rear rocker box leak. He can take this shot to a shop for that. I am not doing it.

Still have to do a clutch adjustment, put on the other side panel with new grommets, and tidy up some of the electrical connector ends at the battery. The exhaust he picked sits super close, if not touches, his ignition wires coming out of the nose cone. I need to move them away from it.

31-F94382-AB12-4-F53-A865-C5089-B470560

46-CD5-B1-D-426-F-41-CE-9-B00-AE41764-E1-FBD

4-B4-E3981-34-C8-49-FD-AA0-D-FCBD1-AA99-DAC

582855-B5-D23-E-4128-B717-6-FE1-A210-DDC6

739-BAA39-A5-E0-4-C2-F-93-D5-C21-B106-E3-EFC

A3210-ED0-C09-C-41-CC-8-CEE-F349-A46748-BB

AB405036-EFF2-41-EB-BFBD-3-EF1-C17-CB872

F44-C4709-DEBA-4-A42-A0-BA-31-A7223749-DE

F9-ECDCA5-4-B15-46-B0-8699-FC1-B212-CCCF5

Comment

• markwade74
                        • Mar 2012

Looks like you've got a full plate, but definitely has the makings of a bad ass bike. Please talk your buddy into a different seat

Comment

• misfitJason
                          • Sep 2009

He already bought a saddleman step up

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;