Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Archangel7365
    • Apr 2024

Titling a scratch-built motorcycle?

Hey! I'm new to the forum and I've been poking around. I've been trying my best to find resources or information on titling/applying for a VIN on a scratch built motorcycle. I mean fabricating the entire engine, frame, and only buying parts I can't make myself (valves, sensors, certain gaskets, etc.) I don't want to go through the time/effort of designing and building this project only to find out I can't ride it legally. I was wondering if anybody knew if this was even possible, or if they knew anyone who had done it before?
    Thanks!
  • andri
    • Mar 2012

A wild guess here, but pretty sure it depends on what state you're in.

But also I'd suspect that manufacture fro scratch you would have to be registered as a manufacturer and that is usually where all the lawyer stuff comes to play.
    Last edited by andri; 07-27-2018, 7:47 AM.

Comment

• Archangel7365
      • Apr 2024

Thanks! I'll take a look at manufacturer requirements in Kentucky (where I'm located)

Comment

• MOTher
        • Sep 2012

Document everything. Receipts from where you bought the frame tubing and progress pics of all the steps in building the frame. And everything else. Get an idea of how the state wants stuff numbered, and stamp numbers in it as you go along. If you have to put a 17 digit VIN on it, learn the standard format. (First digit, country of origin, 1 is US. 2nd and 3rd characters indicates the manufacturer, probably your initials unless they match an existing manufacturer. 4th digit, 1 for over 1000 cc engine, 4 for smaller. Maybe others for even smaller..... I only know this far because all Harleys but the 883's (and maybe the new smaller ones) start with 1HD1, and the 883s are 1HD4.

In most states, if you didn't pay sales tax on all that stuff when you bought it, they'll want to collect it when you title it.

You have a lot of homework to do.

It is so much easier to use a frame, or maybe just a neck with a VIN from a titled frame, something at least semi-close to what you want to have when you're finished. Example: If you want to build a replica of a Cyclone board tracker, don't use the neck and title from a Honda Goldwing. You'll have problems if your bike looks like a fat-tired Evo powered long bike chopper and is titled as a Yamaha enduro. And, if the neck/title are from an older model, you may not be required to have turn signals and meet emission and noise standards like you would with a newly manufactured bike. Check your state's laws. Where I live, for example, bikes manufactured after 1/1/68 are required to have turn indicators.

In most of the US it's not illegal to modify a frame, even if that modification is cutting away everything that isn't wherever the VIN is stamped and fabricating a whole new frame. It's not illegal to swap out an engine, even if the new one is one you built yourself, though in some places you have to get the new engine's number on the documentation.

Comment

• Pliers
          • Feb 2018

Dude, the only thing to do in this situation is get the exact requirements from your state dmv. Asking on a forum youll never get that exact info. You need it straight from the horses mouth, in writing. A call to your local DOT cops wouldnt hurt either as well as seeing if you will be able to insure it through your insurer. I guess if you do a neck swap youd have other options but, building everything yourself.....

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by archangel7365
            hey! I'm new to the forum and i've been poking around. I've been trying my best to find resources or information on titling/applying for a vin on a scratch built motorcycle. I mean fabricating the entire engine, frame, and only buying parts i can't make myself (valves, sensors, certain gaskets, etc.) i don't want to go through the time/effort of designing and building this project only to find out i can't ride it legally. I was wondering if anybody knew if this was even possible, or if they knew anyone who had done it before?
            Thanks!
            sensors, duh

Comment

• bobberadam
              • Jan 2011

So you are going to be machining your own cases out of a billet or???

Comment

• Luky
                • May 2018

Originally posted by Archangel7365
                Hey! I'm new to the forum and I've been poking around. I've been trying my best to find resources or information on titling/applying for a VIN on a scratch built motorcycle. I mean fabricating the entire engine, frame, and only buying parts I can't make myself (valves, sensors, certain gaskets, etc.) I don't want to go through the time/effort of designing and building this project only to find out I can't ride it legally. I was wondering if anybody knew if this was even possible, or if they knew anyone who had done it before?
                Thanks!
                Yes you can register it.
                If you built the frame from scratch you may need to show something proving your skills. (If they ask) Just give them the serial number of the frame. No stories.
                You may have assembled the engine but you probably did not make the engine castings and machine them.
                You just need the serial number of the engine and a receipt where you bought the engine from.
                If you are in California and you bought the engine out of state there could be a fee for that. Like $300.
                Pollution considerations. IF it is pre 2008 less problems.
                In California you will need a light inspection. Then go to the CHP. That will save you running back and forth.
                Remember to always be polite and no bitching. Just give them what they need to get you registered.

You should be fine.

I have built 5 motorcycles from scratch and one of them I built the frame.
                I got all 5 motorcycles registered in California.

One more thing... Do not say you are a manufacturer! You are a "custom" builder of one motorcycle.

You may be asked the value of the motorcycle. So save your receipts to prove you already paid taxes. E bay included.

As mentioned by other members different states have different rules.
                Last edited by Luky; 07-28-2018, 9:27 PM.

Comment

• SamHain
                  • Apr 2024

Originally posted by bobberadam
                  So you are going to be machining your own cases out of a billet or???
                  Looks like he’s gone... but I would opt for casting. Pretty recent thread over at jockey journal with a guy doing it.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;