Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scoobydude
    • Sep 2016

Replacement springs in fork lowers

One of my springs that ride around the damoner in my lower forks is busted. I googled coils and springs where i live but im not sure uf im gonna be able to make their buissiness hours since i work outta town.

Looked at an online spring supply house and it seems tbey got it all... But they want to know some technical spring info such as rate, material, and load.

I guess load is the bike weight, but nit sure about the other two. My best guess would be material should be like a plated or parkerized steel??? Rate???

Also, since im measuring old old springs, do i need them perhaps a hair longer?
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

S-duuudde, why try to make us guess in order to help ya?
    Which bike? What fork? Are you talking about an externally sprung suspension? Which spring?
    Why a spring supply house and not a bike parts supplier?
    Guessin' you've not heard to include details, and pics...

Here maybe? http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/techtalk:evo:susp01
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 07-26-2018, 9:06 PM.
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by TriNortchopz
      S-duuudde, why try to make us guess in order to help ya?
      Which bike? What fork? Are you talking about an externally sprung suspension? Which spring?
      Why a spring supply house and not a bike parts supplier?
      Guessin' you've not heard to include details, and pics...
      Ahhh hell that's his normal post.... You have to ask 5 questions to get one that you can answer....

Comment

• Scoobydude
        • Sep 2016

My bad, had to write the post twice and forgot the most important info on the second go around. Its the spring that is part of the dampner assembly on a post '68 33.4 fork lower. I beleive 69-72 is same internals....possibly. Its definately the later version. I can only find the whole dampner assembly online, but i dont need the rest of it.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

Is this what you got?
          Click image for larger version

Name:	XLforksexplodedview_zps76fc6a6e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1304167
          See more here:
          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Scoobydude
            • Sep 2016

no trinortz, i guess its this one below. someone sent me a link to the entire parts manual download
            ive been google image searching for " 33.4 fork diagram" and the one i remember said 1967 and earlier and 1968 as two seperate groups. maybe that was out of a 68 parts book. the pic from my manual now has 71 and 72 together and all other lower years as one group, so i guess thats the two differant internal configurations, although i remember from somewhere on xlforum that there might be three groups of differant internals with one group having a slight variation in setup. i finally got the part number and found the site for the pic below. i remember seeing that spring but below it says 35mm, maybe thats what threw me off when i cam across it"(35mm in size, not for 35mm forks). it definately says it will fit the 71 and 72 lowers, so i guess thats what i need. probably stupid of me for not using parts numbers to search instead of "33.4 dampner spring", but now i have the 30 year spanning manual.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-07-28-19-58-30_resized.jpg
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1304185Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-07-28-19-50-19_resized.jpg
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	1304186

Comment

• Scoobydude
              • Sep 2016

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86041[/ATTACH][attach=config]86042
              Attached Files

Comment

• tzienlee
                • Apr 2024

I also guess if you were looking on the internet for ''DAMPNER SPRING'' & didn't
                get any hits might be down to it being spelt incorrectly,... It is in fact a ''DAMPER SPRING'' ….no ''N'' in it ….. look here …. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33-4mm-Fo...YAAOSwg8taIUnR
                Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2018, 5:37 AM.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                  • Dec 2017

Great that the link has both the parts book and the shop manual.
                  The part numbers and product description make it a lot easier than trying to source springs from a spring supply shop, especially when "they want to know some technical spring info such as rate, material, and load."
                  So you got a new set of damper springs now?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;