Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trey
    • Jul 2018

New guy. 68 BSA

Hi everyone. I picked up a 1968 BSA Firebird recently. So far I'm pretty happy with it. There are a few things I'd like to change. The ape hangers have to go, I can't get comfortable with them. Same with the forward controls. I'd like to lower the front a little, but I'm not sure how yet. I'll try to upload a picture.
    Attached Files
  • TriNortchopz
    • Dec 2017

Looks like it has the original gas tank and exhaust - last year for one up high on each side. Does that weld-on hardtail look good? Do you know what front end is on there?

Here is how the '68 Firebird looked stock:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	68BSA-A65-Fbird-R.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1303929
    1968 BSA A65 1968 BSA A65 Spitfire Royal Star ABOVE: Starting with the 1968 BSA A65, the Spitfire Royal Star joined the lineup, as BSA’s premium offering, at least until the arrival of the Rocket 3 a year later. 1968 BSA A65 Firebird Scrambler BSA’S DESERT SLED The A65 Firebird Scrambler was intended as a “desert sled” (nickname for off-road/enduro/desert-racing), yet included the twin carbs of the Lightning and Spitfire roadsters, giving it more high-rpm power, but a little less […]

And here is an interesting article from a 2006 Rider magazine:

When this Firebird Scrambler model showed up on American shores in 1968 it should have sold by the shipload...The first year, BSA made only 250 of these Firebirds, almost all of which went to the United States, with those side-panel decals showing the crossed American and British flags...The 650 cylinders had a nearly square configuration, with a 75mm bore, 74mm stroke. The crankshaft was built so a cylinder would fire every 360 degrees. Gears turned the camshaft, located at the rear of the cylinders, which in turn pushed the rods that operated the valves. Two valves per cylinder, and one Amal Monobloc carburetor; compression ratio was 9:1...New metallurgy was noted, with an alloy head and manifold, and the pushrods were light alloy with steel caps at each end. Connecting rods were also of light alloy...
    (This Retrospective article was published in the April 2006 issue of Rider Magazine.) When this Firebird Scrambler model showed up on American shores in
    Last edited by TriNortchopz; 07-15-2018, 11:05 PM. Reason: added Rider article info
    If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Trey
      • Jul 2018

Name:	04F744A9-183A-48B4-AB7C-3AD12E140332.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1303930The hardtail looks like it was done right. I think it looks good. I'm not sure what the front fork is. I'll try to get more pictures next weekend. Thanks for the information on it.
      Last edited by Trey; 07-16-2018, 8:16 PM.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

Do you have a shop manual and parts book?

Here is a site which includes links to Brit bike parts books, including the 1968 A65 Firebird:
        Find and download your vintage BSA, Norton, and Triumph parts book today using our free online parts books library. All Triumph parts books are in a PDF format.

and
        one here for your A65:

from here: https://www.baxtercycle.com/parts/pa...ks-online/bsa/

Here is a link to download a workshop manual, for a 1969 A65:
        Workshop Service Manual for a Andrews Yamaha Parts SR250 1983.3Y9, free download from carlsalter.com

I would raise that oil tank up to ensure full supply of oil to the pump.
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Trey
          • Jul 2018

I ordered a workshop manual for it. I'll take a look at it and the links you provided.

I will move the oil tank. Thank you for suggesting that. I figured the position was too low, but wasn't sure. I appreciate all the information.

Comment

• Tricky13
            • Mar 2017

Yeah oil tank needs to be just under the seat, the frame looks like its also had an attempt to rake the headstock, i would be inclined to remove all the filler that seems to be on there, don't quite know why they did that and then fitted much longer forks which gives it the perhaps period correct but horrible sit up and beg look.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Tricky13
              Yeah oil tank needs to be just under the seat, the frame looks like its also had an attempt to rake the headstock, i would be inclined to remove all the filler that seems to be on there, don't quite know why they did that and then fitted much longer forks which gives it the perhaps period correct but horrible sit up and beg look.

I don't think that is filler on the neck - hard to tell 'cause I can't zoom in enough on the pic, but it looks like the factory metal neck wraparound:

Name:	rahmen.jpg
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	1304012

Comment

• Tricky13
                • Mar 2017

Yeah downloaded the pic and zoomed in and it could well be the std headstock, in which case just ditch the long forks and it would be a better look, a quick rebuild with sensible positioning and a seat without the long springs would help a lot.

Comment

• Trey
                  • Jul 2018

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to work on it this weekend and see what I can do about the front forks. I have the original triple tree for it, I'm just not sure what to do about the fork tubes. I'd also like to get a more original front wheel setup too.

Comment

• datadavid
                    • Oct 2014

They did come with that metal sheet around the neck stock. I would get a adjustable triple tree, and cut the neck, to get acceptable rake and trail figures and lower the whole thing.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by datadavid
                      They did come with that metal sheet around the neck stock. I would get a adjustable triple tree, and cut the neck, to get acceptable rake and trail figures and lower the whole thing.
                      or add this:

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	1304030
                      Current bid:
                      US $217.50

Comment

• Trey
                        • Jul 2018

Or this? Ultima¨ Black Springer Front End, 2" Over Stock Length, 117-77 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016E5EH2G..._osjvBbE0T61Y7

Comment

• farmall
                          • Apr 2013

The original front end and brake setup looks better but the stock brakes are garbage. Even perfectly adjusted you need a calendar to plan your stops. I agree with OP on changing that goofy front end though. That front end looks like a mix of parts but I can't zoom in close enough for much detail. The bars are totally out of place along with the pseudo-wide glide setup.

If not going with a springer or girder, consider a 39mm Sportster narrow glide front end. Aluminum trees and sliders look good and appropriate on much older motorcycles and unlike stock forks (Ceriani etc excepted) the 39mm Sporty forks are much stiffer and offer a wide choice of stock and aftermarket single and dual disc brakes. They look like they belong on old Britbikes.

Comment

• Dougtheinternetannoyance123
                            • Apr 2012

okay, I own a LOT of BSA's so dont get your panties in a wad, BUT that bike is seriously messed up 6 ways from Sunday. Even Ugly girls gotta get laid so not judging here and recognize that your tastes might not line up with mine.
                            But a number of options.

First, be helpful to actually figure out what you have. Several online sources as well as many books can break it down for you. Early frames & motors dont match, They DO match the factory records but had a weird system. But early to mid 67 they started matching.

So, Brits did things weird, Production for next year started after summer holidays and typically Sept for next years model, complicating that in the US DMVs often titled them as year sold NOT model year or year of manuf. So you COULD have a 68 model made in 67 and titled as 69 or 70.

Secondly, I have hornets, spitfires, lightnings and one 1968 Firebird Scrambler and the Firebirds used special one off parts...
                            Complicating things is some came with a Hornet tank like yours has, but most had the diamond shaped tank, same tanks were used on a lot of BSA 441 thumpers as well but the singles typically had a fiberglass version where the twins were mostly metal but a few were fiberglass.

Some also used Hornet pipes like yours did, but most firebirds had the 2 to left sides, and later 69-70 versions were with the birdcage heat shields. (picture below of a 69-70) Only around 200 or so 68s were made,

The 68 brake was the upgraded 2LS and distinctive with a brake cable exiting straight out the back and looping up over the fender, 69-70 brakes had the cable vertical and aligned with the front fork tubes.

Most hard tailed BSA Unit frames look crappy and like they are bent in the middle, few people get it right,., Depends on actual stretch and drop of the hardtail but raking the neck might make it handle worse than it already does. See the chopper builders guide on rake,stretch and trail, (plus wheel sizes) I would be very careful before you make changes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those forks are hideous! Properly raked they MIGHT be okay but will be flexy as hell, and depends on WHICH BSA internals are in it and how it was extended will make a huge difference between okay and dangerously stupid. (NEVER EVER use SLUGS) but most use internal damper rods so, not a great design for extended forks.

With a different tank, stock length forks and some decent brakes it COULD be a sweet little rigid bobber, But that poor thing has been beat with an ugly stick for sure.

I can send you a digital copy as well of the factory parts book and factory workshop manuals if the downloaded ones dont work for you. But do a google images search for BSA 650 Bobbers and you will get some great ideas as there is some cool ones out there. ***If you have the correct front fender, side covers and some other small but important parts I would be happy to purchase them or trade you. My 68 Firebird is restorable and would like to keep it stock, But BSAs were rigids from the factory back in the day (I have several stock BSA Factory Rigids 1932-48-51 &52) and best look is acknowledge the original style that made them cool and popular but update them to make them as good or better looking but improved performance...& updated

Name:	BSA-Firebird-Scramber-Left-Side.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1304049

Like this...

Name:	bsabobber.jpg
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1304050
                            Updated with Harley discs, dont care for white walls or tins colors but has nice style to it.

Name:	BSABobber650.sized.jpg
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	1304051

Comment

• Trey
                              • Jul 2018

Thanks for the lengthy reply. I'll try to cover all of it.

You are right, the poor thing is a conglomeration of parts. I don't believe the neck has a rake to it, other than stock. I'm going to look more into it this weekend. I travel to Vegas every week for work, so I don't get time during the week. The triple trees have a rake built into them, and it's a few degrees.

I have the original parts for the fork, just not the tubes or a front wheel. I'm going to pull it apart and see what's there internally.

The gas tank is fiberglass, and seems to be in good shape. I have some original parts, but not a lot. Oil tank, some lights, and a few misc things. I'm not sure if my front fender is correct, and I don't have the side covers, I don't think. I'll look.

The good thing is the engine was just rebuilt, and I have the receipts to show it. I paid 1500 for it. I'm going to try to make a better looking bobber out of it. First I want to sort out the front end, then go from there.

I checked the vin number. It's a A65FB, so 68 Firebird
                              Last edited by Trey; 07-23-2018, 8:29 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;