Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zipzip
    • Feb 2013

95 XL possible valve guide seal leak?

Rear exhaust pipe was blowing out some gray smoke today. Someone once told me that it's normal on a cold start for the bike to puff a little smoke. This how ever was completely different. The bike was at full operating temp. And it was more than just a little puff.
    So my question is how can I tell If the valve guide seals need to be replace with out tearing down the bike?
  • mttm
    • Apr 2016

If guides worn i'd do a leak down test. At least it will tell you if valves and piston are worn or not. Odds are off comes it's head.

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

That's not a good sign to start smoking... Like he said do a leak down test..... What do your plugs look like???

Comment

• zipzip
        • Feb 2013

I'll start there no check the plugs. Thanks for the help

Comment

• zipzip
          • Feb 2013

I haven't checked yet. I'm going to do that today. Thanks

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

Grey (to black) exhaust smoke is typically indicating a fuel related issue - too rich.
            What were the conditions that lead to the grey smoke - just starting when warm - smoke when revving and RPM coming down - at idle - at a certain RPM? Did you recently changing anything?
            Was it only the rear exhaust - nothing from the front?
            Grey smoke is usually fuel related - a rich mixture, blue smoke is oil burning - is your air filter clogged? Air passage in carb blocked? Fuel leaking through your choke (enrichener) system?
            You sure it's not blue?
            Like he said^^^, check your plugs and research to find out how to read your plugs - what your plug color means.
            Last edited by TriNortchopz; 07-08-2018, 9:04 AM. Reason: added spacing for easier reading
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• zipzip
              • Feb 2013

this is the second time that i have noticed the grey smoke. The only thing that i have done recently is check the filter.

It was only the rear exhaust nothing from the front. The inside of the pipe appears to be wet as well.

I pulled the rear plug and found it to be very black and dirty. A little slick, the front plug was clean, super clean.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
                • Dec 2017

How is your float level? If too high,it could cause fouling of rear cylinder. Try swapping plugs - front to back.

Here is a good post by Sterling on V-Twin forum, from this 2003 thread;
                Rear Cylinder Fouling Plugs

"I had a similar problem once , it turned out to be the intake manifold rubber gaskets,
                Did you have check your plugs?, ( ie flip them around, if the problem tracks, your plugs are OK) if not, change the plugs, then try flipping the spark plug wire around,
                if all is OK, then take a serious look at your manifold gaskets, What I suspect is happening is your front rubber is leaking, causing the front cylinder to suck air and run a little leaner than normal, unfortunately the air leak wil cause the rear cylinder to take the lions share of the fuel, hence it runs rich and fouls the plug. the backfires are a consequence of fuel overload in the rear cylinder."
                If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• zipzip
                  • Feb 2013

If the plugs were fouled wouldn't they smell like fuel?

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by zipzip
                    If the plugs were fouled wouldn't they smell like fuel?
                    Not really.....Not if it's oil fouled.....

I'm not going to say what I think it is just yet until you do a leak down test.....

My guess is w p k h s o, r b..... I will fill it in later......
                    Last edited by Tattooo; 07-08-2018, 7:47 PM.

Comment

• RedHerring
                      • Feb 2018

My guess is w p k h s o, r b..... I will fill it in later......[/QUOTE]

That'll ruin anyone's day...

Comment

• farmall
                        • Apr 2013

Replace the manifold seals if you pull the manifold for inspection. Best to have new ones in hand before you start.

Plugs aren't akways a "fires or doesn't" issue so I replace (or blast clean the old ones for troubleshooting if you have a blaster, but the roughened blasted plug surface will foul quicker than new) them when troubleshooting. I keep spares since plugs are consumables.

w p k h s o, r b
                        I'm eagerly awaiting this new acronym.

Comment

• zipzip
                          • Feb 2013

Your killin me. What the heck does w p k h s o, r b mean? Don't think I'm gonna be able to do a leak down test anytime soon.

Put Some new plugs in waiting to see how they look in a day or two. Still have a little bit of smoke puffing out of the rear exhaust, not gonna lie.

Also thinking about getting one of those Nubs tools. To replace the valve seals while leaving the heads on the bike! And thoughts on that?

QUOTE=Tattooo;793474]Not really.....Not if it's oil fouled.....

I'm not going to say what I think it is just yet until you do a leak down test.....

My guess is w p k h s o, r b..... I will fill it in later......[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by zipzip
                            Also thinking about getting one of those Nubs tools. To replace the valve seals while leaving the heads on the bike! And thoughts on that?
                            It would be a waste of time and money.....

What does w p k h s o, r b mean? That's my guess to what I think your problem is considering the year of your bike..... here is a hint h is has... o is out

I don't want to say because I hope I'm wrong...
                            Last edited by Tattooo; 07-12-2018, 8:18 PM.

Comment

• Dragstews
                              • Sep 2010

A patch job is usually a short time cure...

The bike is 23 years old and most likely could stand a complete top end job done to it...
                              Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;