Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • farmall
    • Apr 2013

Glad ya got a good price. Of course the engine will swap, but unless there is some special reason to do that like other accessories on the 1988 the smart choice is ride what ya just bought after detailed visual inspection, fork oil change (because nobody fucking changes fork oil), brake fluid bleed with fresh fluid (because brake fluid is cheaper than parts, you can suck the old goo out of the master cylinders with a cheap turkey baster), and changing oil and filter. Inspect battery cables and wiring and so forth. Check swingarm side play and belt adjustment.

Get the factory service manual and part book for new Sporty ASAP. If you have those for the old Sporty comparison is interesting, and if saving old Sporty you'll want the books for it. You can also swap parts from old to newer like seat and bitch bar. Moving the custom parts you like is the smart choice vs. an engine swap.

I'd sort out your new Sporty and go ride it.
    There's no functional gain from stuffing the newer engine into your old Sporty with its old wiring etc right now. You have a newer Sportster to ride and an old one to play with at leisure. I would not break down the runner since it's a younger motorcycle with low miles. My personal rule is keep at least one reliable runner.

He who makes his project his daily ride is often a pedestrian.

There aren't a lot of reference tools because most people look up their specific issue instead. There's also not a lot to swaping most parts. 39mm front ends interchange as a unit with no fuss. Spend some study time on xlforum.

Now ya have a runner so you have plenty of time for study. There are plenty more donors and engines out there if you decide ya want two Sporties. They don't get jealous of each other.

Comment

• mzavala2424
      • Nov 2011

Nice score for $1800. I agree with Farmall you should check out XLforum if you arent on there already, lots of good info and its all sporty specific, and definitely keep the 5-speed, maybe you can sell the barnett clutch and put that $$ towards a 1250 kit or new clutch for the new bike.

I've had the alternator magnets come unglued and it even though we caught it before it rattled around and damaged everything it was still expensive getting a new clutch basket and alternator, so I'd move on up to the 99.

Comment

• Dragstews
        • Sep 2010

I like the 91-up 5-speeds...
        The alt. in the clutch basket was problematic ...
        If you wanted a bit more ponys from your 883 can always bore the jugs out to 3-1/2" making it 1200cc.
        Those jugs have a full half inch of meat that can be bored out..

The draw-back is the 883 heads having super small valves ... For a bigger bang, 1200cc heads will bolt right down..
        Just food for thought at a later date ...

.../// http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22895 \\\...
        Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• ghbloom
          • Sep 2017

You guys are rad. Thanks for your input. I will spend some time searching the xl forums and grab a factory service manual. I am leaning towards focusing my efforts on my new machine.... as hard as it is to part with the old. My clymer and hanes cover both model years. I will update once the parts start moving.

Comment

• Tattooo
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ghbloom
            My clymer and hanes cover both model years. I will update once the parts start moving.

Clymer and Hanes manuals cover very little compared to a factory Harley..... Buy or down load one....

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ghbloom View Post
              My clymer and hanes cover both model years. I will update once the parts start moving.
              I recommend paying a friend (or a hobo, hobos need money) to punt you in the taint with steel-toed boots until you get the factory service manual and parts catalog.

Get those books even if ya pay retail for them. I see parts books on Ebay for around twenty bucks. Search "99451-99". Check with any factory HD dealer (Ronnie's, Surdyke, etc) on the service manual since Ebay prices are looking silly today.

Comment

• ChopperDani
                • Apr 2016

Originally posted by farmall
                Fuck rebuilding an engine with the alternator mounted on the clutch basket if the bike is a keeper (because WHEN that alternator fails as all do eventually, they ain't cheap and the later engines have five speed trannies) and for that matter fuck tossing more than another used Sporty would cost into a complete rebuild. I'd either stash the original engine for parts or part it out on Ebay then roll the money back into the project. Part of smart wrenching is knowing what NOT to repair! Let the money numbers and hassle level determine the wise choice.

All ya need to do is move the sidestand and you can install a complete, later "alternator on crankshaft" engine for less $$ than a rebuild. If you buy an 883 to save money then install a 1200 kit (which can wait if bucks are tight, it's easy work with an installed engine) later you can come in around the cost of a typical used 1200 and have a fresh top end. Engines are available from volume salvagers with good feedback via Ebay if there's nothing local to you.

This has good pics of such a transplant. If you don't weld you can cut your old mount off with a cutting disc on an angle grinder (6" angle grinder greatly preferred for cutting disc usage, you want one if you don't have one as they are insanely handy) then bring the rolling chassis to the person doing the weld which will take only a few minutes to perform.

Bonnier LLC is an outdoor adventure company that fuels passion for fishing, boating, sailing, motorsports, hunting and travel.

Coincidentally, I just modded a free Chevy truck pantograph jack for lifting Sporties because my lifts are full. Upward-facing angle ensures the bike won't slide sideways. I snag all the free truck jacks I can because they are stoopidly handy for many jobs.

Pic was taken before I remembered to weld an old 3/8" drive socket to the "crank end" of the screw. I did so and my DeWalt cordless drill easily raised my bros F150 for a brake job. No more dragging floor jacks to my driveway for simple truck work, and perfect for a sidestand mount swap because you can place it out of your way and leave plenty of room for whoever does the welding. I have a backburner Sporty project/parts pile to assemble with a 1980something frame and 1997 883 engine. I'll be using the old sidestand mount I sliced off a 1997 scrap frame because I have the stand to go with it. Otherwise I'd use a kit.

If OPs bike were mine I'd snatch the engine then throw it on a cheap Harbor Freight engine stand for comfortable teardown. OP gets disassembly training on an engine he doesn't need to put back together and parts to sell so it's all win, plus he can hang his replacement engine on the stand for inspection and detailing. You can even run engines on such stands if you hang an oil tank from an upright and use a dummy fuel tank.

Thanks to Punkrod, his link with engine stand pics is in this post:

Patient lifts are very cool small cranes with spreader bars for lifting immobile patients out of bed. I always wanted one but many are rented (a rip off) and paid for by insurors. They are worth looking for because not only are they a nice precise utility hoist but the leg spread is adjustable which lets you easily get them

Jack mod pick with chunk of scrap frame:
                Im Building one of these now!

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ChopperDani
                  Im Building one of these now!
                  Could be a grand idea to lay your hands on one of these .....

Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• ghbloom
                    • Sep 2017

I want to update everyone.

So a significant chip was taken out of the front piston at speed. The chip goes as far down as the second ring. The head was pretty dinged up but nothing that cant be ground out.

I ended up taking as many parts off the 88 and slapping them on the 99. While I was at it I upgraded to a Hammer Performance basic 1275 big bore conversion. I am breaking the motor in now and seems to be running just fine.

The old 88 will likely serve as a bar-hopping hardtail project when the time and money comes back around.

Thank you all for your help. Pictures to be posted.
                    Last edited by ghbloom; 09-05-2018, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• ghbloom
                      • Sep 2017

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180729_163626.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	1304993

Comment

• ghbloom
                        • Sep 2017

Name:	20180729_163850.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	1304996

Comment

• ghbloom
                          • Sep 2017

Name:	20180729_175630.jpg
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	1304997

Comment

• ghbloom
                            • Sep 2017

Name:	20180904_170714.jpg
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	1304998

New bike back on the road this week.

Comment

• farmall
                              • Apr 2013

Good! It's always nice to have more motorcycles.

Comment

• Hoghead
                                • Jun 2015

Originally posted by ghbloom
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]87063[/ATTACH]

New bike back on the road this week.
                                Great ! Have fun with it.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;