CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Chopper dies when hot

Ok so I got my hands on a chopper that was sitting for 6 years got it started changed oil and it ran perfect for quite awhile. It also has a Ultima motor, but now I canít ride it for more then 6 minutes or just randomly without it turning off. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and it cranked right up, drives a couple of feet but dies again shortly after. Does this every time I ride it. Noticed a small tranny leak today havenít checked if itís low but donít think that would cause it to just stall while Iím driving it. Very frustrated because the bike runs good and starts right up when cold. Any help would be nice thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 471A278E-406A-4010-9E98-71622EB27D39.jpg   E2A1FC1D-F4DB-4F20-8578-E2C536B29843.jpg  

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

id check the carb first, see if anything is clogged

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Adammoto View Post
    Ok so I got my hands on a chopper that was sitting for 6 years got it started changed oil and it ran perfect for quite awhile. It also has a Ultima motor, but now I can’t ride it for more then 6 minutes or just randomly without it turning off. I let it sit for about 30 minutes and it cranked right up, drives a couple of feet but dies again shortly after. Does this every time I ride it. Noticed a small tranny leak today haven’t checked if it’s low but don’t think that would cause it to just stall while I’m driving it. Very frustrated because the bike runs good and starts right up when cold. Any help would be nice thanks!
    What state are you located in?
    If you are in California there is a percentage of ethanol in the gasoline and if the bike has been sitting the ethanol enhanced fuel collects moisture.

The transmission leak is a separate problem.

If the motorcycle is NOT in California and the bike has been sitting, you still need to check the idle jet to make sure it is not clogged with water or gooey fuel residue.
    Not wanting to run when hot is usually a sign of a lean condition.

You also need to check if the jetting of the carb is correct for the type of air filter and exhaust that you have. But if it was running properly before this long storage occurred then skip the jet size investigation.
    And just to cover all, look the bike over very well for rat nests if it was stored in a out door situation.
    Like in the air filter?
    Last edited by Luky; 06-25-2018 at 1:29 PM. Reason: spelling

I’m located in Texas but the bike was originally from Illinois 6 years ago. And if the jetting was the issue or clogged idle jet wouldn’t the bike have gave me problems from the get go. That’s the first thing I did was clean the carb and it rode fine for quite awhile this problem just started happening so that’s why I’m really confused anything else you can think of?

It also idles fine no problems at all.

Get Adobe Flash player

Try running it up the road with the fuel cap slightly loose. Sometimes the little breather hole in fuel tank caps becomes blocked and fuel won’t flow freely to carb causing it to cut out

Get Adobe Flash player

My bike used did this when the Ignition Module failed. It worked fine until the IM got hot, then died. I'd let it sit for30 minutes & it would be fine again until the IM got hot and it would die.

Andy99 I’ve removed the fuel line from the fuel filter as soon as it’s shut off before, and the gas seemed to be flowing fine. Although I am going to check the fuel cap breather hole.

And is their any way to check the ignition module bulpitt?

Get Adobe Flash player

Ive heard you can do it but it's a PITA. I had the stock one laying around so I swapped it & when it worked, I just replaced the bad Dynatek. Sorry I can't be of more help

Get Adobe Flash player

I would try to narrow it down to a fuel or ignition problem. To my thinking, if it is running well until it gets hot, it is probably ignition. Run it until it gets hot, then check to see if you have spark. Disconnect a plug wire, put spark plug in it and ground it on engine block. If you have a fat, blue, healthy spark, it is most likely a fuel system problem. If spark is weak or no spark, you have an ignition problem. A lot of times a weak coil will not work once it gets hot. If you have no spark, I would check the coil first. Look up the specs for the coil on the bike, and test it with a multimeter. If you have no spark, and the coil checks out good, you most likely have a bad module or ignition pickup. Good luck.

Get Adobe Flash player

I usually clip one of these on the easiest to see plug then put the plug wire on it. Adjust it just wide enough to have a visible spark. Go for a ride and you know if the spark quit or not.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thexton404_zpse1caa8b6.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	85139
    Dusty

Get Adobe Flash player

I'd lean against ignition as well. Be it th coil or the module it self.
    Do you know what ignition you are running?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by andri View Post

Ultima I bet.....

Get Adobe Flash player

When I read your post, my first thought was "coil". When it shuts down, does it simple die, or start popping and running like shit and then die?

The leak has nothing to do with it.

It just simply dies no popping or anything.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Adammoto View Post
    It just simply dies no popping or anything.
    Basing this on experiences with bad/going bad coils, Iím betting this is not your coil.

It could be the ignition, but there again, in my experience, they usually are dead or not. Obviously other folks have had different experiences. Know anyone with an old stock ign laying around that you could try?

Also make real sure there are no wires able to touch ground anywhere throughout the ign circuit. Iíve seen that too.

Get Adobe Flash player

The same thing happen to a bike I bought a few yrs ago....clogged gas cap....all is well, now.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by andri View Post
    I'd lean against ignition as well. Be it th coil or the module it self.
    Adammoto; I have the same question - what make/model of ignition are you runnin'? I started doing some research then quickly realized suggested solutions are very specific to the type of system.

Adammoto - which type of ignition are ya runnin'?

Get Adobe Flash player

When you say die.....like all the lights and shit go out, or as if you lose fuel?

The first lil thing id check is the fuel system....does the gas tank have a vent? is it Vape Locking, causing you not to get fuel to the carb and then slowly loses the vape pressure to the point you can run it again. When it gets hot, the Vape Locking is more likely to occur and especially if your fuel line is touching anything hot.

Check Vape Lock

Share This