Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Luky
    • May 2018

Air bag seat suspension VS springs?

Has any one experienced both airbag seat and regular spring suspended seat?
    Which is better and was the air bag set up worth the money?

This question is about solo seats on a rigid frame. Thanks.
    Last edited by Luky; 06-24-2018, 11:09 AM.
  • Steelsmith
    • Apr 2018

Is this as it applies to a rigid frame bike or one with some variation of suspension? I myself quite enjoy an original '40-'50's solo seat on a sprung seatpost. I think it rides great on our modern roads with our modern tires. If ridden within reason.
    However, you probably are requesting information regarding a small/narrow solo-seat with twin coil springs in back. If that is the question, I think that setup is good to very good on a frame with suspension. On a rigid frame, it's Ok if you are young and uninjured. A solo seat directly mounted to a rigid frame, you'll pay for that when you get older.

Comment

• HeyYou
      • Aug 2012

Kong. Just use a kong dog toy for the seat suspension.

It's much better than having an air tank and spring, or the plain spring or spring + shock setup. And you can swap a red kong for a black one in about 10 seconds.

Comment

• farmall
        • Apr 2013

Neat idea. I have Timbren urethane overload springs on my trucks which are similar.

Comment

• Luky
          • May 2018

Originally posted by HeyYou
          Kong. Just use a kong dog toy for the seat suspension.

It's much better than having an air tank and spring, or the plain spring or spring + shock setup. And you can swap a red kong for a black one in about 10 seconds.
          OK I checked that out on the internet. You were wasting our time.
          Last edited by Luky; 10-27-2019, 10:38 AM.

Comment

• farmall
            • Apr 2013

Any low travel solution has inherently limited dampening ability because that requires dissipating shock over distance. Less seat suspension travel = more shock.

The best solutions (sprung seats) have already been done. Leaf spring seats aren't terrible and don't require a post so they'd be easier to retrofit.

Sportster Models - Leaf springs for a solo seat? - I'd like to put a solo seat on my ride. But I don't want it setting so high like with the regular springs. Is there a flat spring set up? Sort of like a leaf spring on a car sitting across the back of the seat? I'm looking for the seat to move a little but have a low...

This style is common. You could get the measurements to see which you'd like to try.

International Harvester / Farmall B Leaf Spring, Seat, RH for sale, 50587DB. For tractor models A, Super A, A1, Super A1, AV, Super AV, AV1, Super AV1, B, 100, 130, 140, 444, 2444. for sale. Item 112485

HD cop seat air bag replaced with Kong by a happy bagger owner. I ordered a couple of smaller sized to test on my Bar Enterprises solos on my Shovelheads.

Last edited by farmall; 10-27-2019, 3:04 PM.

Comment

• brumble
              • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Luky
              OK I checked that out on the internet. You were wasting our time.
              Guys have been using Kong dog toys to replace the air bag set up on cop bikes for awhile now.

Have you considered using a Harley cop bike air ride seat setup?

Take offs can be found on the internet, eBay particularly. The factory air springs are still available, too.

I still have the factory air bag set up on my FLHTP.

Comment

• farmall
                • Apr 2013

How do you like that FLHT air bag setup? What year is yours? (So I can look up parts.)

I've an FXR I'm building for distance work and my back (like most backs) is doomed. I've tried many other seats and run air shocks but twin shock suspension with no travel is a Harley disease.

This thread is interesting.
                Touring Models - Air Ride Police style seat - Hi all, does anyone have any experience of using an air ride seat such as is original equipment on the Police Road Kings? As is well known on this forum I have a really bad back and I am clutching at straws to prolong my riding years. Having just come back to Harley having...
                Last edited by farmall; 10-27-2019, 1:54 PM.

Comment

• RokDoctor
                  • Feb 2011

I've never taken the leap on the air bags because the right set of springs really do the job well on rigid bikes.

I generally have to buy 2 or 3 sets before i get just the right height for my weight and the angle of the seat I want when i'm on it.

Comment

• brumble
                    • Apr 2024

Originally posted by farmall
                    How do you like that FLHT air bag setup? What year is yours? (So I can look up parts.)

I've an FXR I'm building for distance work and my back (like most backs) is doomed. I've tried many other seats and run air shocks but twin shock suspension with no travel is a Harley disease.

This thread is interesting.
                    https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...tyle-seat.html
                    My bike is an '06. I get the most comfortable ride with 30 psi in the air tank.

Having that setup is like getting a couple extra inches of suspension travel.

I got rid of the stock Harley bagger shocks. I'm running stock-length Ricor coil overs that are pre-load adjustable.

I've put in more 500+ mile days than I can remember. My back was none the worse for wear at the end of those days.
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-27-2019, 3:18 PM.

Comment

• farmall
                      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by brumble
                      My bike is an '06. I get the most comfortable ride with 30 psi in the air tank.

Having that setup is like getting a couple extra inches of suspension travel.
                      Thanks. That 06 setup has been done with air and Kong. I can (if needed) mod the back of the bracket and make a cross brace to fit my bike with little effort since they're so simple and the bagger box got rid of my (retarded, all oil should be stored low) stock oil tank leaving compressor room.

Comment

• brumble
                        • Apr 2024

Originally posted by farmall
                        Thanks. That 06 setup has been done with air and Kong. I can (if needed) mod the back of the bracket and make a cross brace to fit my bike with little effort since they're so simple and the bagger box got rid of my (retarded, all oil should be stored low) stock oil tank leaving compressor room.
                        See if you can find the air tank that goes with the rest of the seat set up. The tank is relatively small and comes with a Schrader valve and pressure gauge.

I bolted my air tank to the side of the battery box just above the fuse box and it fits nicely underneath the left side cover.

Comment

• 70fatster
                          • Jan 2013

My bike has been rigid for as long as I've owned it. I've ridden it with a no-suspension king and queen seat, a small solo with springs and p-pad, a medium solo with springs, and now an old panhead seat with the pivot between the tanks and air bags from a police bike. The bags are connected to a bicycle pump with a gauge mounted under the seat. Two bags at about twenty pounds makes it ride better than most sportster with shocks and swingarm.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• farmall
                            • Apr 2013

I like your clean mounting plate. Show us some side views of that motorcycle 'cause I suspect the rest will be interesting!

Your attached .gif doesn't work for me.

Comment

• 70fatster
                              • Jan 2013

Here's a shot of it on the lift! I welded the female end of a lift spacer to the bottom of the frame. Makes it way easier to work under there.

I can build a bike, just can't post pictures to save my ass.
                              Attached Files

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;