X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • firstripholdmybeer
    • Apr 2018

switching to minimal wiring

Hey CC,

so today is the day I finally swap bars, tear out wires, and add some mini switches. My plan is to have a Hi/Lo beam toggle and a momentary button for the starter. That's it, getting rid of indicators, speedo/odo, signals, horn, and anything else not needed. I do however plan to keep the wiring for the signals intact so that if/when I sell it that person has the option to reinstall signals.

Two questions (for now ) ..would I just cap the ends of the signal wires and secure them to the main harness? Second, since I'm removing the kill switch (engine kill with key only) and only running the starter/run, I'm wondering how the wiring should be for this?

If there's anything else you think I should now I could use it all! first timer here.

Thanks ahead to all of your responses. Hope everyone gets some wind this weekend!
  • tzienlee
    • Apr 2024

fit an easy to get to Kill switch that you can hit when doing 120mph with a motor with a jammed wide open throttle,... when ya need it looking for a key somewhere hard to get to in a panic has killed a good friend and almost killed me twice..... just saying my £00.02...

Comment

• 7and7is
      • Dec 2012

Not trying to be a dick, but if you still have questions maybe you should wait, until you are sure of what you need to do, but to answer the sart/run switch you just need a lead from a fuse (Positive side) to the switch, and then one from the switch to the starter solenoid, and yes you can cap the signal wires, do you have a wiring diagram (if not you will need one)? Also do you know what your state requires to pass inspection? Some you don't need signals, but most require a horn, again not trying to be a dick but personally I would wait until riding season is over , nothing like looking at your bike and not being able to ride if you fuck something up, while everybody is out enjoying their bike, sorry for being a buzz kill.

Comment

• firstripholdmybeer
        • Apr 2018

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I decide to hit up a local shop and Harry is down to help with everything. Glad I called, I think I'm avoiding some headache here.

CHEERS!

Comment

• Tattooo
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by firstripholdmybeer
          I decide to hit up a local shop and Harry is down to help with everything. Glad I called, I think I'm avoiding some headache here.
          Maybe and maybe not....

Comment

• 7and7is
            • Dec 2012

Keep an eye on Harry.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by tzienlee
              fit an easy to get to Kill switch that you can hit when doing 120mph with a motor with a jammed wide open throttle,... when ya need it looking for a key somewhere hard to get to in a panic has killed a good friend and almost killed me twice..... just saying my £00.02...
              Sorry to hear about your good friend. Thanks for sharing; shows the importance of doin' things right.
              If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Tattooo
                • Sep 2012

Sorry to hear about your friend also....
                Can I ask what was the part that stuck and have you figured out why it stuck??

Comment

• tzienlee
                  • Apr 2024

Hi,(it was on a GPZ Chop) the Police investigator said that a hose clip jammed the throttle when it was opened fully, he hadn't tested it in the workshop & with no kill switch they say he had no way to stop once the clip jammed the throttle linkage....

both times it happened to me was back in the 70's,....it was an air cleaner mount bolt had come out and got stuck on the butterfly stopping it close,.... first time I Locked the rear wheel up at about 60 and stalled the motor, second time I just managed to reach the Magneto kill on the mag body,.... now I have a switch on the handlebars on all my builds

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Hi,(it was on a GPZ Chop) the Police investigator said that a hose clip jammed the throttle when it was opened fully, he hadn't tested it in the workshop & with no kill switch they say he had no way to stop once the clip jammed the throttle linkage....

both times it happened to me was back in the 70's,....it was an air cleaner mount bolt had come out and got stuck on the butterfly stopping it close,.... first time I Locked the rear wheel up at about 60 and stalled the motor, second time I just managed to reach the Magneto kill on the mag body,.... now I have a switch on the handlebars on all my builds

Got ya... I guess it was preventable just had to look real close to make sure there weren't any obstructions...

Glad you got it shut down...

Comment

• ChopperDani
                      • Apr 2016

My throttle got locked once and it took off, pulled the ignition wires. Faster than trying to snag the key. Thats crazy shit right there, glad my bike is to fucking slow even when it throttle locked. i was more worried about blowing my engine than myself lol

Comment

• Luky
                        • May 2018

Also the police know about hitting the kill switch if there is a motorcycle involved in an accident.

Comment

• farmall
                          • Apr 2013

now I have a switch on the handlebars on all my builds
                          Wise move.

Not having a kill switch is, I'll put it gently, fucking stupid. Worth mentioning is some are integrated with sidestand switches etc. for which I personally have no use and bypass on my bikes, but they all get kill switches.

Not having a kill switch is like barebacking lot lizards. It's all fun until ya get herpagonosyphilitis.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;