Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wot2t
    • Sep 2017

Hardtail a rubber mount frame/motor...

i got rear ended by a drunk on my dyna in april. i'm ok, legal shit is getting handled. the bike was totaled, but i kept it. the frame got some bends in the crash so the only solution is to hardtail it...

i got the "v-twin mfg" rear. i weld/fabricate myself. i was going to do it "free hand" but i went and bought a jig with some "property damage" money.

what i'm wondering is what is to be done with the rubber mounts? can i fab up a "flexible" rear mount where the swingarm bolt used to go? i read about some issues with the "solid" mount rear wheel connecting to the rubbermount motor. like the belt would fall off/snap. personally, i feel like the belt could handle it. maybe run it a little loose and make some little guides...

that's 1 option.

another is to solid mount the rear of the motor. the motor would pivot on the old swingarm bolt, that is bolted to the frame solid style. the rubbermount motor could still "vibrate", but the back of it would be rigid. i'm not to sure about this one, like it would put a bunch of stress/vibration on that swingarm mount. it is a swing arm mount though, it should be pretty tough. or the mount i make will tear off often.

number 3...

make solid mounts for the motor. i could do it. i have the tools. i'm looking for a less labor intensive alternative. also, i like the look of rubber mount motor. it flops around "disconnected" from the bike. i just think it looks cool...

another idea...get/make "stiffer" rubber mounts. if i do it up rubber mount style, and the belt does snap/fall off, this would be my first try at fixing it. does such a kit exist? i could make my own flexible rear mount, through the old swingarm bolt hole.

how does it work for rubber mount sportster hardtail kits? i saw an aftermarket sportster hardtail frame that had the rubber motor mounts and regular old hard tail. that would have the motor free to jiggle, and the belt/chain making up the difference. it seemed like they thought that would be ok....

any ideas, constructive criticism, advice, knowledge of experience appreciated. what would you do?
  • wot2t
    • Sep 2017

shit, just read the thing about "no questions." sorry dudes, im a dumbass....

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

I'd have bought a frame without a title (common on Ebay from salvagers who buy at auto auctions) then swapped necks since a hardtail is a seriously anti-functional downgrade. You could still do that and your jig makes it even easier. Hardtails exist for appearance. That is all.

At least one person did your second option of solid rear, rubber everything else engine swap on a Softail frame but used a twin cam. Video is on Youtube. No reason it wouldn't work on a hardtail.

Comment

• wot2t
        • Sep 2017

thanks farmall. emperors of the north pole is the best movie ever. i am also on a twin cam. solid mounting the rear works, huh? i might use the rubbers from the swing arm for a little "give." yeah, rigids aren't exactly "practical." this one's just gonna be a big ol' down town noise maker. i've put some time in on some hardtails, i'm up to it.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
          • Dec 2017

Not sure when this thread will be moved to the regular forum from tech forum; perhaps you coulduse polyurethane mounts as a stiffer option
          Click image for larger version

Name:	375307d1398992811-polyurethane-motor-mounts-for-dyna-front-and-rear-mounts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1303486
          Read more about them for the Dyna here:
          Dyna Glide Models - Polyurethane Motor Mounts for Dyna - After 4 years of research and development Glide-Pro has finally released it's high quality polyurethane Dyna motor mounts. These motor mounts have already been in 50 plus bikes world wide and have received positive reviews. The benefits of polyurethane motor...

I believe this is your frame and mounts; 2000 Dyna:

Click image for larger version

Name:	HD00FXD007.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1303487

How much of the rear is cut off for the hardtail?
          If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• wot2t
            • Sep 2017

everything above the back bone get's cut off, nortchop. yeah that's my frame, or pretty close. stiffer mounts would help for sure. 180$ is a little steep for a hunk of fancy plastic tho. mayhaps i "counterfeit" one....

thanks for the input!

i suppose this will eventually turn into a proper "how to" thread, given some time....

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

mayhaps i "counterfeit" one....
              My machine shop ownerbro gets his castable elastomers from Hapco. They are nice to deal with and have excellent phone support.

Comment

• wot2t
                • Sep 2017

after lots of "eyeballing," i decided this would be jank. hard tailing a rubber mounted drivetrain is hard. i feel like it could be done, but your going to need some kind of tensioner somewhere, or some odd "workaround." in my opinion, there is no "good" way to do this. rigid mounting one of those motors could be done, but thats a ton of work and what if the mounts just aren't up to it? tearing a chunk of the case off is not an option with my budget. i found a decent salvage frame on ebay. keeping the swingarm. i got an iron head to hard tail. still gonna make with the rake. probly make +6/+8 legs ride about level...

thanks dudes.

Comment

• farmall
                  • Apr 2013

While busting the case is unlikely, you were wise not to attempt hardtailing that bike. Knowing what NOT to screw with is at least as important as what to attack. Rake is easy and the titled neck transplant is a bonus. An Ironhead is a better choice to hardtail for appearance and because they aren't really good for much else due to mechanical obsolescence.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...