Press bearing into hub with spokes laced on outside?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scoobydude
    • Sep 2016

Press bearing into hub with spokes laced on outside?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180616_153808.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	1342910

Best way to go about pressin sime bearings in??? Im not sure if i put it in a press if the spokes, where they connect to the hub, will be damaged. Can i get away with maybe a peice of rubber underneath it, or is it best to unlace the hub? Never pressed one in where the outter part of the hub didnt contact a surface.
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Do you also have the center tube that goes between the bearings?????

Oh yea that hub looks fucked up to me... WHat does the other side look like??

Comment

• Sky
      • Aug 2009

Draw them in with a nut and bolt, plus washers of course.
      Make sure to drive bearings by the outer race.

Freeze the bearings, you can even heat the hub.
      Sun works for us Floridians. Heat gun works great too.
      Be careful not to ruin the spoke temper...
      And don't forget the inner spacer!

Comment

• TriNortchopz
        • Dec 2017

That hub does look like it may be damaged as he said^^^. Clean it up the bore and measure it carefully to make sure it is round. You got the bearings already? Carefully measure for the length of the bearing spacer. You can use large sockets, a short piece of metal pipe or washers of the right size to provide clearance of the spokes if you are going to press them in. You can also use a bolts with washers like he said^^^.
        If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• Scoobydude
          • Sep 2016

Other side...

Name:	15292914675571776686726.jpg
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	1303150

Hub is no-no?? Maybe it looks worse in pics, the outer lip of the inner hub passes just beyond the outer by 30 thou or so, and there is a couple parts where that us alightly bent up. I had my brother make me a spacer out of aluminum... Im not sure if using it would mar the surface where it cintacts the bearings.

Dang im hoping the hub is ok to use, it seems pretty good minus the lip. Is it possible for the inner hub to be out if round, and why or how?

Comment

• TriNortchopz
            • Dec 2017

It's hard to see the inner part of the hub with the picture. I can't see a 'housing' for the bearing to fit into - a shouldered bore.
            Guessing you have precision measuring tools since the bearing spacer has already been built; not sure what the 30 thou is by your description.
            Aluminum spacer for that front wheel should be fine as long it is a good alloy - strong enough not to mushroom.
            Can you make a sectional drawing of what you have, with precise measurements, including the new bearings, and share it here?
            Hub could be out of round from accident damage, or a heavy-handed bearing remover/installer guy beating it in or out when the bearing is cocked.
            Do you have the old bearing? If it is the same size as the new one, you could grind down the outer race a few thou and use it as your press-in 'tool'.
            If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• bobberadam
              • Jan 2011

Agreed, there is no place for the bearing to "seat" inside that hub. DO NOT run it this way. Depending on your skills and accurate machines at your disposal. I am lucky to have all these at my finger tips, so, what i would do is make a press in sleeve to seat the bearing against. you would for sure want .001-.003 interference fit. make the spacer, get yourself some dry ice put the sleeve in for 6-8 hours and put it in the hub. it will shrink plenty, make sure it is centered or you will be hating life if it gets stuck off center.... Let me know if this does not make sense and i can PM you better info.

Comment

• Scoobydude
                • Sep 2016

I get what you are saying. I tried to take a pic of what i have but my phone doesnt let me. The spacer will allow the bearings to sit exactly at the outer edges of the hub, and it only makes contact with the inner metal part of the bearing. The spacer does not fit tight like a bearing on the axle or to the inside of the hub.... Both are ten to twenty thousanths the differance. Yes, there are no shoulders inside this hub, i thought the spacer would suffice... I am definately wrong? I wouldnt want to take any chances when dealing with my life��. My train of thought that since it is press fit, it would hold snugly to the wall and be held together, if for some reason it tries to move, between the axle spacers and the bearing spacer.
                Last edited by Scoobydude; 06-19-2018, 2:54 PM.

Comment

• Scoobydude
                  • Sep 2016

Phones workin....

Name:	1529442015035975062526.jpg
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	1303415Click image for larger version

Name:	1529441096401489170185.jpg
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	1303413

Ignor the attached thumbnail
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Scoobydude; 06-19-2018, 3:02 PM.

Comment

• bobberadam
                    • Jan 2011

I defiantly like the direction you went with that, very creative. In all actuality i am sure it would be fine with spacers and all that holding it in, but i do not think i would run it like that myself. Another idea that "might" work (i have never tried it) is get in there with the trusty tig torch and run a bead around the ID of the hub then set it in a lathe chuck and turn the id to make a shoulder or set it up on a mill and carefully circular interpolate the ID.

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

I wouldn't run it like that it could walk out without a stop.... But what ever you want to do...

Comment

• DustyDave
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

What will keep the wheel from walking to one side or the other or even off one bearing? Nothing retains the outer race, almost looks like there is a sleeve pressed into the hub. Hard to tell fron pictures. Unless your head is harder than the pavement I think you should get a hub or complete wheel.
                        Dusty
                        Driving that train, high on cocaine
                        Casey Jones you better, watch your speed
                        Trouble ahead, trouble behind
                        And you know that notion just crossed my mind​

Comment

• Tattooo
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DustyDave
                          What will keep the wheel from walking to one side or the other or even off one bearing? Nothing retains the outer race, almost looks like there is a sleeve pressed into the hub. Hard to tell fron pictures. Unless your head is harder than the pavement I think you should get a hub or complete wheel.
                          Dusty
                          What was it that the old woman said that owned the junk yard on the movie Mystery Men....... Oh yea..... {Junk it}

Comment

• Scoobydude
                            • Sep 2016

Pressing a sleeve on there sounded like a good idea, but then again yall think i might have killed myself with my idea. But thats why im here.i was under the impression that having to press it in there would be a safe bet that it wouldnt move, but fuck it its probably a better idea to buy another hub.

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Scoobydude
                              Pressing a sleeve on there sounded like a good idea, but then again yall think i might have killed myself with my idea. But thats why im here.i was under the impression that having to press it in there would be a safe bet that it wouldnt move, but fuck it its probably a better idea to buy another hub.
                              Awesome man awesome..... Now your thinking....

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;