X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Craziejoker
    • Jun 2018

48 el pan bare bones build

Newbie here
    Ive done some searching, but havent really found a solid answer.
    Ive got my grandfathers 48 pan. I want to run a 5 spd in a 4 spd case with an open primary. I know evos and sporties. This is an old case, so i want to know where to start so i can get the inner primary and get my frame modified.
    Also, i know the newer style cases can be stroked, but what about the old ones? I have everything but the rear jug and valves.
    Im not looking for big hp, but i dont want a slug. Whole bike will be light, so im hoping for 75 hp
    Thanx guys
  • Tattooo
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Craziejoker
    Newbie here
    Ive done some searching, but havent really found a solid answer.
    Ive got my grandfathers 48 pan. I want to run a 5 spd in a 4 spd case with an open primary. I know evos and sporties. This is an old case, so i want to know where to start so i can get the inner primary and get my frame modified.
    Also, i know the newer style cases can be stroked, but what about the old ones? I have everything but the rear jug and valves.
    Im not looking for big hp, but i dont want a slug. Whole bike will be light, so im hoping for 75 hp
    Thanx guys

Can I ask why all the changes?? Have you ridden it in the stock configuration??? Not skins, the drive train is what I'm talking about....

Comment

• Craziejoker
      • Jun 2018

Never rode, gramps bought as a basket case 40 years ago
      Just worried it wont have enough to move my fat ass lol

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

Never rode, gramps bought as a basket case 40 years ago
        Just worried it wont have enough to move my fat ass lol
        LOL How fat are you??? LOL

You will be astounded how well they pull with stock CI and 4 speed trans...

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

EL Huh .... And a Pan ...

Kinda a leftover from the Knucks years. Harley's last 61ci was in 52 only the FL's (74ci) was made after the end of the 52 year.
          Both motors shared the same motor cases and heads, jugs and flywheels are difference due the bore and stroke of EL & FL's displacements.
          Motors made up to 54 have weak cases, specially in the deck area making doing a Big Bore a No-No... But, in order to get the cubes up, a 4-1/2" stroker flywheels and a set of 3-7/16" FL jugs will get it up to 86 inches. Could go longer on the stroke, but the early motor seem to do very well at 86 cubes and motor life is about the same as stock.

BTW .... How fat are ya ... ?? ..
          And, is that your 50 Ford ... ?? Nice one ...
          Last edited by Dragstews; 06-17-2018, 2:38 AM.
          Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Craziejoker
            • Jun 2018

Lol, 240#.
            Not my car, i wish.
            Background. Nothing i drive is stock. Every bike ive owned ive tore apart. I chopped a buell cyclone for petes sake lol
            I see what you mean about the weak cases. This one has a chunk missing. I have to buy new jugs anyway, so fls are what im doing. Plus balance/lighten flywheel. 86 cubes will give me what im looking for.
            Just gotta get startef

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Case busted, Huh ... Guessing it broke around the front jug and runs behind the gen....

Being your dealing with old busted up stuff and wanting more pony's ....
              If I was you with what your starting off with, dang if I wouldn't be nailing down one of Knuckleworks Timken bearing left side case

This case is a faithful reproduction of the left–hand 1948-1954 Panhead engine case except that it has been made to take the Timken main bearing. With this case you can build your Pan which uses the stronger Timken bearing. It is made from 356 aluminum alloy which has been heat treated to T6 specifications. The cylinder deck and bore, the motor mounts, and the main bearing bore are all left with .040-.060 of material so that it can be perfectly matched up to your original right hand case, which we can do for you if necessary. If you want your motor to look like it did when it originally came from Milwaukee, then this is the case for you but with the later, stronger, Timken bearing.
              Last edited by Dragstews; 06-16-2018, 7:47 PM.

Comment

• Craziejoker
                • Jun 2018

Thats a nice piece, but mines broke on the back, rh case. Just the edge of a boss is broken

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Tattooo
                  So in other words if someone gave you that bike you would junk it because it's a EL??? Really?????

I would be proud to own it myself....
                  How in the Blue Heaven did you read dat out of what I say .... ????

Here's where it was going... The OP said it was an EL, said he wanted to pump more into it to get more out of it ...
                  I laid out on the table what can be done in order to meet his request .... Nothing more...

Comment

• Tattooo
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dragstews
                    How in the Blue Heaven did you read dat out of what I say .... ????

Here's where it was going... The OP said it was an EL, said he wanted to pump more into it to get more out of it ...
                    I laid out on the table what can be done in order to meet his request .... Nothing more...
                    It just sounded like you didn't like ELs by the post....

To be honest I don't think he know's what he wants.....

Comment

• Craziejoker
                      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Tattooo
                      It just sounded like you didn't like ELs by the post....

To be honest I don't think he know's what he wants.....
                      Wow, thats helpful. All i did was ask for info, not a dig. Bike will never be sold, and all i have is the engine. So i am building it the way i want, for the way i ride. With all due respect sir, im weighing my options as i can only afford to do this once.

Comment

• Tattooo
                        • Sep 2012

Wow, thats helpful. All i did was ask for info, not a dig. Bike will never be sold, and all i have is the engine. So i am building it the way i want, for the way i ride. With all due respect sir, im weighing my options as i can only afford to do this once.
                        No problem..... I was trying to give you the cheap way out...

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

More history on the long gone but not forgotten EL's

Back in 52 when the Mo-Co decided to end production of the EL motors, it came as a sad note to many riders..
                          They loved how smooth the EL ran compared to the FL's....
                          Harley dealers was still getting requests for new EL bikes ... The Mo-Co did want to keep their, come back and trade in, riders happy so as a special request order they would build that Boy a new EL, they did this to about the end of the 50's ... After that only FL was being built...

If you run across a 1958 EL .... Well, you just seen one of those "Special Request' bikes...

.../// https://youtu.be/QblkQ-J6zio \\\...
                          Last edited by Dragstews; 06-17-2018, 9:51 AM.

Comment

• Tattooo
                            • Sep 2012

Ok, Sorry but I got two threads confused...... The below thread/bike is what I thought we were talking about... Again, Sorry I'm on track now....

Originally posted by Bubbabee81
                            Recently was given this bike and Im trying to figure out what it is that Im working with. Title says 57 FLH. From the pictures can anyone see anything else that may stand out? Last time it was heard running was about 2 years ago, owner at that time said a new magneto was just put on.

Im not too big on the looks of it and plan on mixing it up a bit when I retire from the Military next year and have some time. I like the bobber style

For now I would just like to hear it run and take it for a ride if possible. So where should I start? I would say Im mechanically inclined but not sure of these older motors/carbs.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84871[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]84871[/ATTACH]

Comment

• Tattooo
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dragstews
                              More history on the long gone but not forgotten EL's

Back in 52 when the Mo-Co decided to end production of the EL motors, it came as a sad note to many riders..
                              They loved how smooth the EL ran compared to the FL's....
                              Harley dealers was still getting requests for new EL bikes ... The Mo-Co did want to keep their, come back and trade in, riders happy so as a special request order they would build that Boy a new EL, they did this to about the end of the 50's ... After that only FL was being built...

If you tun across a 1958 EL .... Well, you just seen one of those "Special Request' bikes...
                              Sorry Jesse look at that thread and you can see how they are similar....

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;