Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AH64apacheddude
    • Jun 2018

Coils

Ok me again. Just trying to get this right. I have a Evo engine my ignition module has three wire coming out of the cone one black one blue one green and I am running two single coils. What wire goes where. I just read here that harely does not have a ground. So do I run one wire to each coil pack and which one. It is oem it came with the engine when I bought it from Harley.
  • WillSCB
    • Dec 2014

What year and model??? If it is a stock unit, the wires coming out of the cone are not the module, you need an external module. You can get either a stock module, or there are aftermarket modules that are "plug and play." What you are referring to is the ignition pickup. Also, do yourself a favor and pick up a service manual with a wiring diagram in it (or find one online.) Hope this helps you out.

Comment

• AH64apacheddude
      • Jun 2018

Thanks that is what I needed to know. I think I will pickup a dyna tech or something like that. If I do that can I wire straight to the coils.

Comment

• WillSCB
        • Dec 2014

If you get the Dyna S or similar type with the entire unit in the cone, yes, you wire right to the coils. One thing, is you want to check what the resistance on the coils is. For a Dyna S type (which is designed to be a direct replacement for points type ignition) you want a 5 ohm coil. For most types (stock, Hi 4, higher end Dyna ignitions) you want 3.5 ohm coils. The ignitions should give you detailed instructions to wire it, along with what coils are required. Good Luck.

Comment

• Sky
          • Aug 2009

Sounds aftermarket to me
          The coils definitely are.
          Do they say Dyna? And the color will help you determine application if you don't have an ohmeter.

Aren't the stock pickup wirecolors black, green and red?
          Post pics.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
          Working...
          ;