Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • carlbrah
    • Dec 2015

Throwout Bearing Broke Yet Again! Any Help Appreciated

Hey y'all, time again for the neverending throwout bearing woes.

I made a little post a while ago that I got a shitload of knowledge from: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51410

Well I did a lottt of what was said and rode successfully for about 50miles throughout the past 2 weeks, but last night I felt my clutch go to shit and knew exactly what it was - the damn throwout bearing.

I'm posting a video below of the issue, things I did to correct from before - and basically that I'm at a loss right now. I'm damn tempted to just get the witch hat bearing and call it a day.

If I do get witch hat bearing - which finger do I need? You can see the one in my video - is that the right one?

I'm looking at VT17-0610
    Click image for larger version

Name:	17-0610a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	1342880

Again - y'all continue to save my ass and I share this knowledge with everyone around DC that needs a hand. So I know it's round 2 - but hey, I'll get there with your help. Thanks so much.
    Last edited by carlbrah; 06-07-2018, 10:37 AM.
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

This bushing was left out of your mainshaft ...

PN 16 ....

Only the 75-up washer TO bearing models had bushings in both sides of the M/S ...

It keeps the pushrod in the center of the shaft.... Without that bushing, the pushrod will be dancing like Elvis...

.../// https://youtu.be/dJslCsekjIg \\\...
    Last edited by Dragstews; 06-07-2018, 2:34 PM.
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Tattooo
      • Sep 2012

You have a foot clutch right???? Do you have a stop on your pedal???? I bet not, You have to have a stop because if you don't your putting way to much pressure on the whole setup..........

Comment

• Tattooo
        • Sep 2012

I just watched your video.....Yep I was right, No stop... I don't think the better bearing will help much but you can try one...

What kind of oil are you running in there... Damn that's nasty looking....

I don't like the way you have the clutch set up but it's your bike.....

Comment

• carlbrah
          • Dec 2015

@dragstews - so that bushing slides onto the back of the pushrod behind the slinger, then fits into the mainshaft opening? I definitely saw that bushing with the kit but had no clue what it did.

@Tattooo - probably an ugly clutch setup but hey, first timers gotta do what i gotta. so I have a stop on the back but you mean a stop on the front side of the lever, so I can't step on the lever too far down thereby putting a shitload of pressure on the setup? I've been babying it cause I knew if I stomp on the lever it would be a bad thing, so I just put my foot down until I feel good resistance then I dont go further. I def dont stomp on it or anything. When I put in the new throwout bearing, I can see how far down i have to push the lever to release the clutch, then create a stop to go no lower. I am running Lucas 80-90 gear oil

Comment

• Dragstews
            • Sep 2010

The 17-0610 kit comes with everything needed to convert to the H-D witch-hat bearing...

No need for a bushing in the M/S (Using the W/H bearing) cause the pushrod pulls a center off of the kick starter clutch gear and not the mainshaft ...
            Use all the parts that comes in that kit.... Don't mix em up with the later style TO bearing...

You may see the need to trim a little on the inside of the kick cover for room of the W/H bearing...
            Some covers will have the room, some later covers don't..
            Ain't no big deal, being not much grinding goes down...
            Last edited by Dragstews; 06-07-2018, 1:07 PM.

Comment

• carlbrah
              • Dec 2015

@dragstews - I'll do a video install and post up on here to make sure I do it right. Thanks a lot man.

Comment

• Dragstews
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by carlbrah
                @dragstews - I'll do a video install and post up on here to make sure I do it right. Thanks a lot man.
                Don't forget the naked dancing girls .. !!! ...

BTY .... Nice Air Filter .....
                (Hope you don't live on a gravel road .. )
                Last edited by Dragstews; 06-07-2018, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• carlbrah
                  • Dec 2015

haha building a screen for it! who knows what could get caught in there here in DC.

Comment

• WillSCB
                    • Dec 2014

As far as your inquiry in the video regarding the kicker gear, that looks like typical wear on a typical low dollar (asian made) kicker gear. If you have the cash, I would get a complete Baker kicker set up. Costs a few bucks, but well worth it. Also, their kicker cover is designed to use the older style (witch hat) throwout bearing. I never had any kind of luck with the newer stamped steel throwout bearings. Good luck and keep us informed.

Comment

• Tattooo
                      • Sep 2012

Yes the front side.... Having one on the back side is useless....

There is no way you can baby the clutch when your changing gears and hitting bumps.....

Comment

• nuklhd
                        • Sep 2013

where in dc you living?

Comment

• Dragstews
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Tattooo
                          Yes the front side.... Having one on the back side is useless....

There is no way you can baby the clutch when your changing gears and hitting bumps.....
                          Most Fellas will adjust their clutch to where the arm will hit the lid and that acts as the stop....
                          Seems to work well but for the little dent the arm leaves on the lid after many years...

Comment

• carlbrah
                            • Dec 2015

@WillSCB - yea man, Imma save and get that setup cause my bike is kick only so Imma put a lot of wear on the kicker gear.

@Tattooo - your point is well taken and I'm going to fashion a front stop when I get the new throwout bearing on.

@nuklhd - unsure about dropping my hood online - but I'm in the city.

Comment

• carlbrah
                              • Dec 2015

@dragstews - that'd be a pretty damn loose adjustment haha but that is definitely an idea...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;