Clear All
  • RedHerring
    • Feb 2018

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181220_143127.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	1308881
    I decided to ditch the drag bars, flip the risers, and throw on some buckhorns. I like this better. I have been toying with the idea of trying out some rabbit ear bars, but for now this is how she sits. Maybe ditch the sissy bar?

Comment

• bpeak
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by RedHerring
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]91743[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]91744[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]91745[/ATTACH]
      I haven't updated this thread in quite a while. I'm back to working on the bike now that life has quit throwing lemons at me. I made this little license plate bracket that mounts with the primary bolts. It's not done yet as I still need to drill the aluminum backing plate for the tag, but you get the idea of what I'm after here.
      Hey man. Not sure how much of this is truly applicable... but regarding the tag mount...

I did a bunch of research on horizontal vs vertical for what is allowed. Basically, tags have to be horizontal as the rule. But, there is this one exception in the vehicle code that allows vertical IF you have a sunpass and IF the sunpass device is with you at all times on the vehicle. As I understand it, even if on a B-road or whatever, with a vertical tag, you can get pulled over and if you dont have the sunpass device with you, they can write you a ticket. Course - it all depends on the mood of the day for the guy who pulls you over but - up to you if you wanna risk it. If you got the sunpass and its in the duffle or tool bag... nothing they can say. Run it vertical all day.

Perhaps someone else with the Florida-specific laws can confirm?

Comment

• RedHerring
        • Feb 2018

Originally posted by bpeak
        Hey man. Not sure how much of this is truly applicable... but regarding the tag mount...

I did a bunch of research on horizontal vs vertical for what is allowed. Basically, tags have to be horizontal as the rule. But, there is this one exception in the vehicle code that allows vertical IF you have a sunpass and IF the sunpass device is with you at all times on the vehicle. As I understand it, even if on a B-road or whatever, with a vertical tag, you can get pulled over and if you dont have the sunpass device with you, they can write you a ticket. Course - it all depends on the mood of the day for the guy who pulls you over but - up to you if you wanna risk it. If you got the sunpass and its in the duffle or tool bag... nothing they can say. Run it vertical all day.

This seems to be a cloudy issue. I have read about the SunPass requirement as well. I have also read that the requirement was lifted. I think that my biggest worry is that the view of the tag is kind of blocked when mounted vertically. I can definitely see this as a possible problem. I am certainly interested to hear more about this subject as I investigate further.

Comment

• RedHerring
          • Feb 2018

Florida Statute 316.2085

(3) The license tag of a motorcycle or moped must be permanently affixed to the vehicle and remain clearly visible from the rear at all times. Any deliberate act to conceal or obscure the legibility of the license tag of a motorcycle is prohibited. The license tag of a motorcycle or moped may be affixed horizontally to the ground so that the numbers and letters read from left to right. Alternatively, a license tag for a motorcycle or moped for which the numbers and letters read from top to bottom may be affixed perpendicularly to the ground. Notwithstanding the authorization to affix the license tag of a motorcycle or moped perpendicularly to the ground, the owner or operator of a motorcycle or moped shall pay any required toll pursuant to s. 316.1001 by whatever means available.

This is what I have found regarding this. Has anyone else found anything different?

Comment

• RedHerring
            • Feb 2018

Name:	20190221_104808.jpg
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	1308901Click image for larger version

Name:	20190221_110459.jpg
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	1308902
            Off with the old sprocket...Click image for larger version

Name:	20190309_135023.jpg
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	1308903Click image for larger version

Name:	20190309_135032.jpg
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	1308904
            On with the new...

I used my homemade rivet squeezer that I use for building AK pattern rifles. Although a few of the rivets came out misshapen, it was an overall success. I have ordered new rivets to replace those that I don't like.

Comment

• RedHerring
              • Feb 2018

Name:	20190312_095024.jpg
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	1309012Click image for larger version

Name:	20190312_095124.jpg
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	1309013

Screwing around in the garage this morning and made this little fender tip out of aluminum. I'll definitely polish it up and MAYBE try my hand at some engraving. BPeaks bike has me interested in seeing what is possible as far as engraving goes. I don't know why these pics keep posting sideways, but you get the idea. I got the idea from seeing older bikes that have a similar tip on the fenders.
              Last edited by RedHerring; 03-12-2019, 9:30 AM.

Comment

• bpeak
                • Nov 2012

YES! DO IT! That is a perfect spot. Just practice on scraps. Make a plan. And go for it!

Comment

• RedHerring
                  • Feb 2018

YES! DO IT! That is a perfect spot. Just practice on scraps. Make a plan. And go for it!
                  Thanks for the enthusiasm!!! I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna go for it.

Comment

• RedHerring
                    • Feb 2018

Name:	20190312_132249.jpg
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	1309015

Still working my wiring plan. I found these little guys on ebay and decided to give em a try. Looks better than zipties, I guess. I'm trying to keep all of the wiring as hidden as possible, but in the rare instance that I cannot, I'll use these to secure it.

Comment

• RedHerring
                      • Feb 2018

Name:	20190319_120619.jpg
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	1309218

Rainy day engraving time.

Comment

• RedHerring
                        • Feb 2018

Still need to clean up some of the edges and give the piece a good polishing. Idk how but the pic actually posted the correct way, bonus!!!

Comment

• bpeak
                          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by RedHerring
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]92145[/ATTACH]

Rainy day engraving time.
                          YES! Way to go! Looks great!

Comment

• RedHerring
                            • Feb 2018

Thanks man!!!

Comment

• RedHerring
                              • Feb 2018

So my next door neighbor is a semi retired boat mechanic and one day we were shooting the shit in his shop, when low and behold, I spotted a spark arrestor air cleaner that I thought would be perfect to adapt to my bike. I had to cut the rear flange off it and make an adapter to fit my carb but I'm pretty happy with the end result.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190329_164716.jpg
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	1309466
                              The backing plate that I madeClick image for larger version

Name:	20190329_165922.jpg
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	1309467
                              I attach the air cleaner with 4 thumb screws that pass through the air cleaners hollow rivets.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190329_165955.jpg
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	1309468
                              Thumb screws and wing nuts on the back give easy access should I ever feel the need to disassemble it. The brass knurled part is tightened to the bolt and loctite in place.
                              Last edited by RedHerring; 03-31-2019, 6:26 PM.

Comment

• RedHerring
                                • Feb 2018

Damn. Pictures went sideways again.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;