CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Default Some hardware questions...engine mounts, etc...

What's up fellas...got a couple Q's for you.

I've got most of my stuff on the Shovel build sorted out, just trying to work through the little details as I get close here. I have a couple of days less than a month and I appreciate all the help I've gotten here.

That said...my question now comes to hardware. I have hardware now that I've used for mock up but it's ugly shit. It's the cad plated looking grade 8 stuff. I'm looking for motor mount and trans mount bolts as well as rear rotor and sprocket bolts.

I know G8 is preferred but a lot of that stuff from the store looks ugly. I don't mind ordering shit if I need to but I'd rather avoid the hassle and potential order issues that will cause me to lose time. I do have several Fastenal stores near me. Not sure if they would have what I need at a reasonable price.

What I'm essentially looking for is strong hardware I don't have to worry about that isn't ugly as shit. I would like to use the chrome plated stuff from the hardware store or even stainless but from what I've read, they're not up to the job? I've also read that grade 5 is well and good for what we're doing. Safety is 3rd for me, so I don't need the strongest shit ever just something that will suffice 75% of the time. I'll take my chances. Thoughts?

Not sure what you mean when you say ugly. The style? The finish? If its finish, there are options you can do at home. Paint, powder coat or there's a few choices in plating your own parts. Places like Eastwood sell home powder coating supplies and plating kits. There's a company called Caswell that sells some nice kits.

https://www.caswellplating.com/#

Besides Fastenal, (my local store never seems to have anything I'm looking for in stock, and half the time, can't seem to find a source for stuff I ask for) You may try Lawson Products if you can find a rep in your area. They're kinda like a Fastenal, but offer some neat chit in their catalogs. Very pricey tho. I used to have them stock my bolt bins and supply some of my consumables in my shop. Name brand chit that was already expensive at Grainger or Fastenal was double or triple for the same exact item from Lawson. But they had a cool automotive catalog section with some hard to find anywhere else stuff.

You may try Summit Racing for some chrome stuff. Jegs maybe as well.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

One trick is find what you want then research that item to get the lowest price. Local hardware stores are usually much more expensive than shopping online.

Keep a bench stock and you'll have more of what you need for less money per fastener. I use the fuck out of Ebay. For example I know I'll use all-metal lock nuts so I buy by the bag. Ditto stainless hardware.

The best answer is determine what you want the result to look like, think specifically, then find what will do the job. Grade 8 is trivially expensive for what a motorcycle requires, and you can paint it before install then touch it up. If you want a strong stud to take a shear load a stud and nut arrangement with an attractive acorn nut can beat a weaker all-stainless bolt.

I use McMaster, Fastenal and MSC books for reference then find what I want elsewhere. Their business model is "need it now" parts and tooling for industrial customers so they price accordingly. My "industrial customer" machinistbro avoids them where practical too and saves insane money, but if he needs something overnight to finish a job he uses them.

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

To answer Rick, it's the finish that I don't like.

I hate seeing those gold zinc/cad plated bolts on bikes. They just stand out like you didn't bother to use nice hardware. Especially on a chopper were just about everything can be seen.

Thanks Farmall...my issue is that as I'm piecing this thing together and getting closer, I don't have the time to order online and I'm concerned about the wrong size, length, etc...and not having time to re-order. I was worried about painting because I know it'll chip but to get me around the bend this time, I think that's what I'm going to do. I'll paint and install with care until I have time to re-order the hardware with a nicer finish.

I read somewhere that appliance enamel is pretty durable as far as shit that comes in a spray can go. I'll probably use that stuff.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have an aircraft salvage and surplus business not far from me with bin after bin of aircraft fasteners. Every one of them has its own markings on it so you can decipher the alloy. Some hex, some 12 point, some allen etc.

Get Adobe Flash player

Paint comes to mind, if it's all mocked up, swapping out hardware will add a challenge the replacement cheese works the same.

Get Adobe Flash player

Paint does work. One way we used on aircraft panels (MANY screws!) was to punch holes in a sheet of cardboard, poke screws into holes, then spray 'em. On a motorcycle you can touch up with a brush or paint marker afterwards. (Also a good way to get paint inside the heads of socket head screws.)

I've used appliance enamel but the nozzles that come on the cans seem to leave a fucked up coat. Irrelevant on small hardware though cuz it won't show, but the larger parts I shot tended to orange peel.

Get Adobe Flash player

eBay is good that’s where I get all the parkerized hardware that I prefer....and I buy some Colony product from a local guy.

Anything else is Fastenall and if I want em’ painted I use the “punch a hole in a piece of cardboard” method and rattle can em’

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post

I've used appliance enamel but the nozzles that come on the cans seem to leave a fucked up coat. Irrelevant on small hardware though cuz it won't show, but the larger parts I shot tended to orange peel.
    Not sure if they still offer it, but I used to work in a plumbing department at a box store. We sold appliance enamel in small jars with a built in brush in the lid. No nozzle to fuck things up. Just the idiot operating the brush. LOL Colors were limited, but if he's looking for black, or refrigerator white, LOL, he's got it made.

I rattle canned some hardware, and some home made bungy cord attachment points on one of my Sportsters back in the early 90s. Hardware has held up very well. Especially the shtuff that wasn't sitting up front getting sand blasted with road grit. Even some of that hardware with cheap rustoleum black has stood the test of time and miles. Did the card board spray technic too, then sprayed paint on card board and dabbed brush into it to touch up if it chipped.

Get Adobe Flash player

If it is just the gold coloring you don't like, you could take all of your steel fasteners and get them stripped and re cad plated.If you do them as one lot they should match. Just be sure they are baked correctly after plate for hydrogyn embrittlement relief. The gold color is a cromate treatment that is done after the actual plating process. If the platers tanks are fresh, you should get a decent looking and consistant finish.
    Shouldn't cost much either.

Get Adobe Flash player

Colony hardware

Get Adobe Flash player

My favorite part of this thread is where the OP says "safety is 3rd for me, I'll take my chances". Sorry homie, but I aint riding with you. I like death traps as much as anyone else here but mine have good brakes and quality hardware. Good luck.

Share This