Need help identifing Harley front end. So I can order brakes axle and fork rebuild

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Silverguy80
    • May 2018

Need help identifing Harley front end. So I can order brakes axle and fork rebuild

This front end has 39mm fork tubes, showa fork tube ends, single disc, 1" stem, and 22.25mm axle hole or .875" axle hole.

So once I know what it came off of. Then I need to know which disc size and specs to order? Which caliper to order and what's compatible? Also what axle to order? I need to rebuild the forks too. There seems to be about 2 different types of fork rebuild kits. How do I decide which one I need to order?

As far as I have been told is that this front end came off a sportster.
    Attached Files
  • MOTher
    • Sep 2012

The numbers on the stickers on the sliders are Harley part numbers and the -88 at the end of them means Harley started using that part in 1988. Pretty sure that's a Sportster lock tab on the lower tree. They used the same basic fork on Sportster, Dyna (except FXDWG) and FXR back at that time. So if you look for parts for a single disc 1988 Sportster you'll get the right ones. Most of the parts were common from then 'til 2000. (The number on the lower tree is an anti theft number.)

Comment

• farmall
      • Apr 2013

Check out various brake upgrade options since you are starting from scratch. Stock single piston calipers weren't great, even in pairs.

Remember your wheel choice affects brake options. There are lots of brake and wheel threads. You have many spring choices too and can also add preload using PVC pipe spacers.

Comment

• bobberadam
        • Jan 2011

I am concerned about your axle "size" measurements. 88-99 should be 3/4 (.750) axle. the measurements you gave are for a 7/8" (.875) axle, the difference is an 1/8" (.125) which seems excessive. I could be wrong on my thoughts but i would double check your front end before ordering axle/wheel/brake parts.

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Measure the center section of the axle which passes through the bearings. The cylindrical end opposite the nut is larger so the "axle hole" in the fork slider is larger.

Comment

• TwoSheds
            • Nov 2012

All 39mm forks use the same seal so you already got that bit nailed. A picture of the brake caliper mounting bosses will tell you what brake caliper your legs are for.

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

1988 fork legs used the single piston calipers. Those were used on single and dual disc front ends from ~1984-1999.

This shows what they look like and how to swap pads. I couldn't be arsed to watch the whole video since I've done mine and others before, but there's plenty of info online.

It was time for me to change brake pads. I had neglected them long enough. Luckily, my old room mate knows how to do this and was good enough to allow me t...

Lines are different between these and better calipers so I suggest getting better brake parts in the first place.
              Last edited by farmall; 05-20-2018, 4:38 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
              Working...
              ;