Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beerisgoodforme
    • Jun 2016

Springer ID

Can anyone ID this springer? Im trying to run it on my shovel but the stems too short. It also looks like previous owner punched that threaded bar down the center to make it longer and bolt up. Is there a better way to make this work?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0299.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	1342807 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0301.jpg
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	1342808
  • 53panhead
    • Apr 2017

It looks like a Harley one to me and they were trying to use the wrong top clamp.

Comment

• TriNortchopz
      • Dec 2017

Did you get the top clamp with it? Is that neck 1" diameter? It could be one of many repops. Might need to get a new neck post machined to fit it depending on the length of the neck post and your frame neck - might be able to replace the top nut with a shorter one to allow the top clamp to sit lower - did you get the top nut and crown nut with it?

Some info here to help id an original:

2011 Thread: Original 45 springer vs. repop?

A: "oem has casting numbers on the front legs. Also the repops have threads in the rear leg for post type risers while oem dose not..."

A: "...the old stuff gente are correct, the rear leg also has a cast stamp, loooking under the perch for the top springs, usually on the right side, you will see HD' little stamp."

A: "even though you found an original, in case anyone refers to this in the future for general info, I'll add that in addition to the absence of casting/forging numbers, and the threaded holes in the top of the rear fork:
      -"replica" forks are electrically welded at least in some spots, namely the lower brace of the rear fork
      -additionally (this probably only applies to the bigtwin versions) the stem on the rear fork is 1" along it's whole length. They do however come with a centering cone made to fit if you want to run ball bearings, but it's obviously different than the OEM equivalent, in the event you need to get one or replace one down the road."
      Hey dudes, Any way to tell the difference between an original HD 45 springer vs. the good reproductions like the ones from 45 Parts Depot or even J&P catalog? I guess you should be able to see 60 years worth of age on the HD ones, but are there any obvious casting differences?
      If buildin' old school choppers was easy, anyone could do it... ain't nobody said it's gonna be easy...

Comment

• ncmc47
        • Oct 2012

There are new stems for sale on Ebay. I believe the original HD ones were braised in, with a big washer arc welded on the bottom for a wear plate. Perhaps a top clamp would be useful for centering the new stem.

Comment

• beerisgoodforme
          • Jun 2016

Yeah 1 inch stem. and I think the bar down the middle of it is 5/8. It's just long enough to get past the bearings so I don't think a shorter nut would do it. Think im just gonna have to put a longer stem in it. Cheers
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0305.jpg
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	1302364 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0306.jpg
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	1302365

Comment

• nuklhd
            • Sep 2013

what does the rod attach to on the bottom. could be part of a damper.

Comment

• Tattooo
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by nuklhd
              what does the rod attach to on the bottom. could be part of a damper.
              It's a little big for a damper.... At least the ones that I have seen...

Comment

• nuklhd
                • Sep 2013

shot in the dark tat. it was very dark when I took the shot

Comment

• Tattooo
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by nuklhd
                  shot in the dark tat. it was very dark when I took the shot
                  LOL Shot at and missed shit on and hit...... When you said ^^^^ that's what came to mind.... LOL

That's an old saying I've heard for many years but I still don't know what in the hell it means.... LOL

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;