CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Anyone use a .8mm to paint a bike?

Just wondering if anyone has painted a bike with a .8mm touch up gun ? I also have a 1. 4 mm gun but its pushing my cfm rating of my compressor. Wasn't sure if it'd ok or not since passes will be short. 1. 4 mm gun is 7-9 cfm and compressor is 7. 5 at 40psi and gun should run around 22-30 psi
    Last edited by littlepup; 05-09-2018 at 6:38 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sure you can paint with a small gun.... It will just take a while...

You/I would probably want the 1.4? It's a question of consistency, volume of air your compressor can produce. The 1.4 is going to be maximum for your compressor. If you do use the .8 gun, it might be a better match especially if this is an older compressor? Remember the factory numbers were for when it was new/ properly broken in. Over time, run hard, low maintinence all have an impact on what your compressor will actually produce. Painting consistancy. Is determined by the stability of the air supplied.
    Being that the target is bike parts, short trigger times, I think either gun would work. If you have enough paint, do a couple of test panels, see which one gives you what you need.

Get Adobe Flash player

Compressor is probably 15 years old but seldomly used just for tires and the odd time an impact

Another thing to consider is, solid colors or metalics? Primer requires the bigger nozzle gun to flow the thicker paint. If you are talking basecoat/clearcoat use the .8 for the basecoat and depending on the consistancy of the clear, the .8 for thin clear, the 1.4 for thicker eurathane products. If you are using budget materials they are usually a bit thinner viscosity-wise.
    What brand paint are you using, what type paint?

Get Adobe Flash player

Its base color not sure brand its just auto body's cheap black. I called the 2 body shop supply within a hour of me both gave me different answers on which gun but the one made a good point of air supply consistency , but with such small passes is the compressor really going to be working that hard to keep with the 1.4mm?

Get Adobe Flash player

It's time to invest in a larger compressor.... It's not like you will only use it once.... It's a damn good investment....

Get Adobe Flash player

Will I notice any difference if I get a 1 mm needle compared to the .8mm in my touch up gun?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by littlepup View Post
    Will I notice any difference if I get a 1 mm needle compared to the .8mm in my touch up gun?
    nope......

If you are talking solid black (no metallic), you should be fine with the 1.4mm gun. You state you are using budget quality material, that means lower viscosity. Take your time, don't rush the paint process. This more relaxed approach may help your compressor recover between passes. You don't mention your tank size, the bigger the air reservoir the more consistent the air delivered at the gun. Your little compressor pump will be trying to keep up with demand. Give it as much of a chance to do that as you can.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Steelsmith View Post
    If you are talking solid black (no metallic), you should be fine with the 1.4mm gun. You state you are using budget quality material, that means lower viscosity. Take your time, don't rush the paint process. This more relaxed approach may help your compressor recover between passes. You don't mention your tank size, the bigger the air reservoir the more consistent the air delivered at the gun. Your little compressor pump will be trying to keep up with demand. Give it as much of a chance to do that as you can.
    Its 20 Gallon/5 HP

Yeah, you'll be fine. You undoubtedly have what used to be known as a 'cheater-5' (3hp pump running faster than it was designed to run = 5hp). Very common in the 1980's-'90's. Just take your time, do good prep/you'll get good results.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah, you'll be fine. You undoubtedly have what used to be known as a 'cheater-5' (3hp pump running faster than it was designed to run = 5hp). Very common in the 1980's-'90's. Just take your time, do good prep/you'll get good results.
    Its a Devilbiss Pro Air

Get Adobe Flash player

Be sure and get a water trap because those compressors produce a LOT of heat and water...

Water-trap, desicant-bead dryer-can at the gun and don't overwork the compressor.
    Good luck!

Get Adobe Flash player

Water-trap, desicant-bead dryer-can at the gun and don't overwork the compressor.
    Good luck!
    Glad you thought of that..... He will need one for sure.... LOL

Get Adobe Flash player

definitely will planned on trap at tank and gun

Littlepup, are you painting yet?! C'mon, it's the weekend! Rock that paint! Lol

Share This