Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedHerring
    • Feb 2018

Pogo seat?

Has anyone successfully adapted a pogo seat to an old Sportster frame? I am looking for any info on this because I would like to go this route if possible, I stead of the typical springer seat. Thanks in advance!!!
  • Steelsmith
    • Apr 2018

When you refer to a pogo seat, are you asking about a sprung seat-post? To further clarify, Harley hinged solo seat mounted on an enclosed sprung seat-post from the rigid-frame era? If that is what you are asking about, the frame design needs to incorporate the vertical tube the seat-post moves up and down in. There is a brass bushing at the top of the tube and a grease dirk that adds lube inside the bushing.
    Not many new builders have much regard for or incorporate this style of seat/suspension. I on the other-hand, prefer this type of saddle/riding position. The last bike I rode with a sprung seat-post was a 1940 Chief. Loved that bike/riding style!
    Good luck finding a current manufacturer that accommodates that in their build ... It's much more likely that you will have some do some custom fab work to gain this seat.

Comment

• RedHerring
      • Feb 2018

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that is the exact style of sprung seat post that I am referring to. In my mind, I would think that it would be possible to adapt this design into the straight seat post of a hardtailed Sporty frame. I think that Shovelhead models had this design up until the late 70s?

Comment

• Steelsmith
        • Apr 2018

I think, with the Sportster being unit constructed, the (maybe) only way to get this to work is with a canted seat-post (tilted towards the rear?)
        It's either that or relocate the entire seat-post tube towards the rear? Myself, I'd also require some level of frame stretch, especially on a Sporty. This may lead to some extra room in your chassis that unless filled, can look odd ...
        You might, compare frame dimensions from a fathead 45? And see how that looks? That is also a shorter drive-train, in a hardtail frame?
        Custom Sporty's have their own criteria and successful designs have to work within the limitations of the early heritage if you want to combine a late model Sportster powerplant into a more 'vintage' style. At least, that's how I see it. Doesn't make it so, it's just how I'd view the end product.

Comment

• farmall
          • Apr 2013

Best way to figure it out is buy the parts so you have them in hand. If it looks unworkable, sell the parts.

BTW you'll have a variety of angles where a sprung post can function properly. Keep that in mind while experimenting, and you could weld a mockup to hold the front pivot and post tube (or use an expendable frame) if that seems worth doing.
          Last edited by farmall; 05-04-2018, 4:46 PM.

Comment

• MOTher
            • Sep 2012

K models and early Sportsters had a pogo system for the solo seat. 2 sprung posts was probably an improvement, designed in the '50's over the single pogo which was designed in the '20's or earlier. I'm not sure when the frame changed to make this not work anymore. Here are a couple scans from a K model parts book. The last scan is the part numbers from the previous and following page, so you'll have the whole section.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sportpolo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	1302376 Click image for larger version

Name:	sportframe.jpg
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	1302377

Name:	sportlist.jpg
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	1302378

Comment

• DrSweden
              • Nov 2021

Originally posted by RedHerring
              Has anyone successfully adapted a pogo seat to an old Sportster frame? I am looking for any info on this because I would like to go this route if possible, I stead of the typical springer seat. Thanks in advance!!!
              Howdy, how did it go, I have the same thinking but figure it's hard work. Did you do it?

Comment

• Pacifictime
                • Jul 2011

Name:	20150123_161938.jpg
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	1321385
                I used a short air bag, but I see McMaster Carr has one that has about the same diameter and has 4
                inches of travel. That might be an idea you could work with.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;